I need new Skates

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by Douggy, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douggy

Douggy Registered User

Home Page:
    Hi all...

I need new skates. I was wondering if people could make recomendations; I don't want to spend more than $200.

Also, is it cheaper to buy now or in September??

2. Habsfan 32

Habsfan 32 Registered User

I would buy some now if I was you Douggy. Look at some models from this year they should be on sale.

3. They should be cheaper now, but now or in the fall, if you only want to spend $200, I recommend pieces of crap because that's all you will get for $200 or less.

4. Canadian Chris

Canadian Chris Registered User

I sell hockey stuff
    Home Page:
    not entirely true actually Van...

you can get "decent" skates for $200ish

For instance...the CCM Tack 952...currently $199 at sportchek....but you should be able to find an ok skate for around the $200 mark.

Don't expect anything too fancy though....that being said, if you wanted fancy, try a play it again sports type thing....I've found some gems there, you can usually get some Grafs or the older Bauer Vapors for under $200...and sometimes in good condition.

Too tell you the truth though, you won't see much of a fluctuation in prices of skates between now and the fall...I'd suggest start a list and start tryin them on and go from there....I know when I bought my new Grafs, I spent 6 hours over a 2 day period with the Grafs and Vector Pro's on...eventually went with the grafs, and am SO happy! lol....but had to spend mucho dollar for that one.

If there is one thing to spend money on though, it's skates. Skimp in other places, just not skates

5. Naturally, I was speaking by my own standards. ;)

I too hold the opinion that cheaping out on skates is an absolute no. I forked out over $500 for my Graf 727...and that was after getting a deal from the guys at 5 Season's.

6. Toonces

Toonces The beer kitty

Production
    Money is of no concern when it comes to my skates.

I would recoment seeing what shops have left over from last year. Most companies have already released their new models and you should be able to get a deal on last years stuff.

7. Douggy

Douggy Registered User

Home Page:
    I'm used to buying skates at play-it-again for like $70, so spending $200 on new skates is allready being less stingy than I'd like to be!

8. Accord

Accord Registered User

You can get Nike V-12's for $199 from HockeyGiant and they've got a 20% off coupon code so you can get them for only $160.

9. Burnaby_Joe*

Burnaby_Joe* Guest

I forked over $350 for mine. ;)

10. eafiii

eafiii Registered User

Good skates for $200

You can get good skates for $200. You just can't get the newest or most popular model.

I just bought a pair of 2003/2004 Pro Tack new from Hockey Giant for $125. Tell me Pro Tacks are not decent skates.

You can find closeouts at almost any big retailer for models that have been worn in the NHL in the past few years. Vapor XX, various models of Tacks, etc etc.. You can get 652 Tacks for under $150, and they are darn good skates. A lot of pros still wear custom versions.

Paying 400-500 for skates isn't going to make you any faster or better. The difference between a 200 pair of skates and a 500 dollar pair of skates is pretty minimal if you are comparing the hot new hyped model with the top of the line model from 2-3 years ago.

Its like golf equipment. An $800 dollar driver isn't going to help me beat Tiger Woods. and a pair of 727 Grafs with solid platinum T blades and diamond studded eyelets isn't going to help you outskate Pavel Bure, even if Pavel Bure is wearing a pair of sub $200 skates, LOL.

That's just a hard fact.

11. DaveyCrockett

DaveyCrockett Registered User

Home Page:
    Don't shop for brand/model. Shop in your price range and find what fits best, thats what matters the most.
    lecture 4
    lecture 5
    lecture 6

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  12. MattNJD

MattNJD Registered User

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.