I might have a problem

BraveSirRobin

Ducks offseason
Feb 5, 2006
Yucaipa, CA
Okay, today I played in my rec league's playoffs. The team we played against in the finals has this woman on their team. She's not a bad player, but she shrieks at everything when she's out on the ice, usually in someone's face. She's not well liked, not to mention she plays dirty since she pulls the "you can't touch me, I'm a girl!" card after she slewfoots or highsticks someone. She does it all the time when the refs call her for it.

Well, today my team played against her's and in the third period it was obvious were going to win (the score was 8-2). I covered the puck as it came in my crease, and as I do this, here she comes slashing at it and stepping on my glove. So I slashed at her leg, considering that she was STANDING on my glove. My hand even has a cut on it because of her. After I slashed her, she fell down like a ton of bricks (I'm sure she was faking it, just by the way she fell down it seemed forced), screaming as if she had been shot. So everyone on the ice for the other team comes at me, punching, swinging their sticks, cursing me into the ground. Some guy took out my legs later that game.

Well, after the game as I was undressing, their captain came into our locker room, and made this threat to me, "Expect to hear from a lawyer, you woman-beater. You'll be sued for everything you've got, *******." And to top things off, she left the arena limping (once again, I was certain she was faking it. Her limp changed from leg to leg every other step). Normally I'd shrug it off, but the guy who said that to me was a lawyer himself. Should I have anything to worry about? It's really bothering me, I don't know if they have to file charges against me first or not, but I really don't want to go to court over this.

BraveSirRobin

Ducks offseason
Feb 5, 2006
Yucaipa, CA
I should probably also note that I spoke with the rink manager about it, and he said he'd talk to them. I don't know if that'll do anything or not. I'm just really bothered by it.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Don't worry about being convicted of anything. That has no chance of passing a legitimate jury. What are they going to call it? ****ing assault and battery?

However, if she continues to fake the injury, that could become a potential problem.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
You sound like the victim, but I wouldn't worry, she apparently has a past history and I couldn't imagine her not needing some sort of doctor referral to show legitimate injury.

power_def

Apr 5, 2007
Well, if she wants to play in a mens league... She gets treated the same way the men do. Don't sweat it. Tell her that next time you see her.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
If it's still there, take pictures of the cut on your hand so you can demonstrate self defense. It wouldn't hurt if you have any lawyer friends you could bounce this off of.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
I agree with the hand injury, get it documented. Also, see if the game officials wrote up anything in their reports about her actions, that would go a long way to ending her career.

Cujo31

Mar 5, 2007
See a doctor about the numbness in your fingers, nerve damage is dificult to disprove. Do that immediately, before your served if she proceeds down that road. Visiting a doctor later will be viewed as part of your defense and not taken as seriously as an injury that required medical attention before you are served. The "swelling has gone down on your hand but the tingling & numbness remain", invest an hour of your time today to protect your assets.

Do mention the lower back pain, numbness down your left leg that seems to be getting better. That and the neck injury pain from when you were punched and later had your feet taken out prevented you from realizing the numbness in your fingers wasn't going away. Sounds like assault, its free for you to visit the desk at police station and report this incident, especially since you now fear more of the same off ice.

If the other teams captain is actually a lawyer he is not a very good one.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
Well, after the game as I was undressing, their captain came into our locker room, and made this threat to me, "Expect to hear from a lawyer, you woman-beater. You'll be sued for everything you've got, *******." And to top things off, she left the arena limping (once again, I was certain she was faking it. Her limp changed from leg to leg every other step). Normally I'd shrug it off, but the guy who said that to me was a lawyer himself. Should I have anything to worry about? It's really bothering me, I don't know if they have to file charges against me first or not, but I really don't want to go to court over this.

"Expect to hear from a lawyer, you woman beater"??? That's a steaming pile of crap. I don't have any legal experience so take this for what it's worth. First, the player must have signed an injury waiver when she joined the league absolving the rink, the league and all the players of responsibility in case of injury (you had to, right?). There are limitations, I'm sure, but I doubt your actions could be considered excessively violent. Second, the time to tell you you'd be sued is after she's seen a doctor -- if he's threatening to sue you for everything you've got he has to prove there were damages and to get everything you own she'd have to have been crippled for life. I doubt you have anything to worry about but like others have said get your hand injury documented.

It's really upsetting that since this other team can't beat you fairly that they would try to psyche you out like this. It wouldn't hurt you to explain the issue to a league official and ask if you have anything to worry about -- they'd probably put your mind at ease (saying it's all bs) and if the team has a history of such antics the league could take disciplinary action against them. Failing that, you could threaten to have the captain/lawyer disbarred and make up some bogus legal term for what he did. Two can play at that game. :D

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Is the league checking or non checking?

Did she finish the game?

Not that that makes her fair game but it sounds (from what you have stated) far from "court" level, not even suspension level.

By playing she has consented to be treated like anyone else.

RangerSteve

You did your job by simply covering up the puck. If she wants to be a dope while losing 8-2 and start hacking you, then she's already dug her own grave in my opinion. I wouldn't get too worried about this. You did the right thing by going to the rink manager about the issue.

May I also suggest you kick her square in the baby maker? :naughty::sarcasm:

Trepanated

Jan 11, 2007
That sucks.

I am not a lawyer, and none of the following should be construed as legal advice in any way.

I wouldn't worry at all about criminal charges, and I wouldn't worry much about a civil suit. I have a hard time imagining that any kind of serious or responsible lawyer would burst into a dressing room and threaten to sue you for everything you are worth. That's not the behavior of a lawyer who really thinks he has a strong case. That's the behavior of some idiot who may or may not actually be a lawyer, but wants to scare you. Which is what I really think is going on here.

Nevertheless, you do have to worry a little about a civil suit a little bit, and it sucks having to hire a lawyer to defend yourself. The best thing I can tell you is, document everything. *Everything*. Right now, today. Take pictures of your hand and any other injuries you have sustained. Any bruises or other cuts? Document them. Write down, in your own words, and in great detail, everything that you can remember. Try to write down the names of anyone who said anything to you, what they said, and so on. I'm sure it was chaotic, but do the best you can.

It's not a bad idea to go to the doctor if you are at all concerned about any of the injuries. However, I definitely would NOT do what someone above advised, and make the injuries out to be worse than they are. Do NOT tell the doctor your fingers are numb if they really aren't, in an effort to make your injuries look worse. Don't say your legs hurt if they don't. That may be considered insurance fraud, and that IS a criminal offense if it comes out. Don't make things worse than they are. Just my opinion.

Most likely nothing at all will come of this. But the best thing you can do right now is be prepared if it does. Good luck.

Last edited:

RJ8812*

lol, thats so pathetic, and is the main reason why i think girls shouldnt play in a guys league

i remember back in minor hockey, since there was no AA girls league around here, they had to play in OUR league (they were an age group older though), but we had to play by THEIR rules aka: no hitting. Even though we would always beat them really badly (17-1, 18-2, 15-0, etc....) after every time we'ed always be sore as ****, cause those girls would do everything to try and hurt us, slash, spear, stick between the legs, butt end, and would barely ever get called for it. If we were ever beside a girl that fell, we'ed always get called for it

i remember a guys team we played in a tourny had a girl on it, but you were allowed to treat her like a guy (hit her) since she was on a guy's team. she was actually a pretty decent player (played defence) and i remember this one guy on my team hit her pretty good and everyone on our bench was like "oh ****...." but she didnt scream or anything, she just got back up on her skates and kept playing, so props to her

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Lets see, sounds like you have a good case for assault and battery against the entire team. After all, they assaulted you. If that's the game they want to play, play it with them. Really push the equal rights angle. A woman wants to be treated equally and so much so that she's playing in a mens league. Shouldn't she be subject to the same treatment a man would? Push this hard with the league too. If you get sued, threaten to sue them for allowing a woman to play in a mens league.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. No way this ends up being anymore then a threat.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I feel bad for you.
I don't think it can eb stressed enough though, that you MUST document *everything*. Make sure you protect yourself because in the (I think) very unlikely chance of her taking you to court, you have to have something to back up your claim. If the other team captain is any kind of decent lawyer, he'd know to document things and you will be screwed if he has claims and you don't.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Does your league have everyone sign liability waivers at the start of the season? If so, then that could solve your problem right there.

Regardless, were you assessed a penalty on the play? That's evidence that an impartial arbiter (the referees) didn't feel that what you did was out of line.

I wouldn't worry about it - a lot of people blow smoke after a game, and a lot of people say things with the intent of scaring.

I don't think this is the result of women playing in a "men's league". I play in a lot of rec leagues with women in them, and the ass ratio is higher among men than among women.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
you signed a waiver - end of story. Unless they can prove that you used your stick in an un-hockey like manner, such as swinging it at her head or neck, you're fine. A slash is a minor penalty - thats it.

I'm in a non-checking league and I got slammed into the boards a few days ago and hurt my hip, shortly after I got cross-checked in the kidney - it happens. Sure I was pissed, but thats hockey. Her standing WITH HER SKATE on your glove actually could be used against her, as you could argue that it was assult with a weapon. There was a guy in our league who attempted to kick another player while he was down with his skate - I believe he was banned from the league but even then no legal action was taken (I would have argued otherwise).

Point is, a slash is a hockey move. We all have the right padding and protection to prevent major injuries. I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. The guys said it right, document everything you can just to be safe, but I doubt she and her ***hole captain have a case.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
on another note, my league is co-ed as well. There are some girls that can take it, and some that can't - and its awfully annoying playing against the ones that can't. Even though its non-checking, its still very physical, and I hate feeling like I have to cater to them. Last thing I want is a target on my back.

However, with that said, I've laid out a few girls in my league. One of them I had no idea was a woman, the other one tried to get in my way off the face off. You step in my way, little Ms. 120lbs, and you're going to get all 195lbs of me. :teach:

Talentless Practise*

Next game, cross-check her in the face as hard as you can, then proceed to beat the crap out of the captain... :sarcasm:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Any rec league I've played in requires you to sign off on a waiver stating that while playing the games, injuries can and do happen and that you are well aware of this and choose to play at your own risk.

They can have all the lawyers in the world talk to you, but tell them all to pisssoff.

And the next time that stupid ***** gets in yout face, call her the C word and everything else you can do to make her cry

:handclap::biglaugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad