i love it when the jerseys have the players name sewn on it during the selection...

MrAlfie

and then, in the middle of the night , when the rain hit my window and wind was whistling through the door, I found myself reading a thread about sewn on/velcroed name plates in the rookie draft of the year 2007.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yeah, they're all velcroed on..Eller is just a short name so the nameplate is small. Still some teams like Pittsburg didn't expect the names to fall to them (like Zoo just mentioned)..
which is curious because I heard somewhere that Cherapanovs name was on the Ranger jersey he got.

A lot of teams have a number of jerseys with their top picks with their names sewed on. And they make a number of jerseys with names on them because they have a certain amount of players targeted as well. Some teams show up with 20 named jerseys because they know they will be getting a few of those players usually. I believe that the Rangers had their 2nd round pick's name sewn onto the jersey as well.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I can guarantee that the Panthers did not have Ellerby's name sewn on. It was velcro like everyone elses.

And I can guarantee that you have no idea what you're talking about because most teams bring a number of jerseys with sewn names on the back of them for the players that they have targeted. It's not like the jerseys cost them loads of money or anything being that they ARE that team.

Most 1st rounds picks (and I would think that most is the appropriate word here) have their names sewn onto the jersey rather than it being blank or velcroed. Teams know who they target and want to have the jersey ready and look classy enough for them to make the kids day and to leave a good impression on them.

Grinder2222

Jun 27, 2007
Other than a situation where a team has the number one pick and they know they aren't going to trade it, every team makes up nameplates and then velcros it to the jersey just before their selection. That's just how it's done. Jerseys are expensive and you never know what's going to happen at the draft. Teams usually take two velcro jerseys and the up to twenty or thirty nameplates depending on where they pick. We can all speculate but that's what every team does unless they have a no brainer at pick number one. Sorry to ruin the fun of speculating.
If an NHL equipment manager wants to correct me I'd be happy to hear it, but that's how it's done everywhere as far as I know.

I guess I thought I had put this debate to rest but some people don't seem to believe me. I am a head NHL equipment manager. As I described before, this is how it's done. There are a few exceptions but they are rare.After the draft we permanently sewn the names on and send them to the players to keep but for the draft it's just a nameplate velcroed to a jersey, unless you're a Sidney Crosby or someone like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad