i love it when the jerseys have the players name sewn on it during the selection...

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by shayne, Jun 25, 2007.

1. shayne

shayne Registered User

Home Page:
    you can tell a team has a plan in place and is serious about their selections

Habs( my favorite club) had McDonough , pacioretty and Subban names stitched on the back

Many teams did the same, its a small thing but i think it is meaningful and i bet the players feel the same

Great draft by Timmins and co., never mind folding under the pressure of the Quebec media or a few ignorant fans, make a plan, work the plan, execute the plan

Bob said they were looking for more then just skill, they want character, size and skill and i feel they have done a very good job

people feel they should have taken the hometown kid, people don't realize they did. Olivier Fortier and apparently he can play, he has good hockey sense, can play with or without the puck and has " a certain something" that drive players, he has been compared to Maxim lapierre

i suppose this thread could go in a few directions, i just thought i would bring up the fact that certain teams had the names sewn on even after the first rd and i thought i would mention it

cheers:D

2. PhoPhan

PhoPhan Registered User

They may have had the names sewn onto the nameplates, but I can almost guarantee the nameplates were velcroed onto the jerseys themselves.

3. Casework

Casework Registered User

Home Page:
    Yeah... from all the ones I saw up close this weekend, they were just stuck on there.

4. The Nemesis

The Nemesis Semper Tyrannus

Awards:
    Not all of them. You can tell if it's velcroed or not because when the guy goes to put it on or has it on and moves his arms, the nameplate doesn't move properly and starts to come off on the sides.

Lars Eller's name on the blues jersey looked stitched on.

5. Whitesnake

Whitesnake How many years?

Automation & Robotics
    Or is it that expensive to have 3 to 5 jerseys with names stitched on and just be sure you give the right jersey to the right guy when the time comes????

6. snarktacular

snarktacular Registered User

Or one member of the staff is a tailor in his free time. You don't think they take all that time actually deciding who they're going to draft do you?

7. PhoPhan

PhoPhan Registered User

The point is that, unless you're Chicago (whose jerseys they showed with velcroed nameplates), you can't be certain who you'll pick because you're not certain who'll be available, which means you can't fully sew it on ahead of time.

8. Zoo

Zoo Registered User

Home Page:
    Esposito didn't have a name plate, we didn't think he'll fall to us :D

9. FreshClean

FreshClean Registered User

Yeah, they're all velcroed on..Eller is just a short name so the nameplate is small. Still some teams like Pittsburg didn't expect the names to fall to them (like Zoo just mentioned)..
    which is curious because I heard somewhere that Cherapanovs name was on the Ranger jersey he got.

10. Luigi Habs

Luigi Habs Captain Saku

that's because the Rangers tried hard to move up to pick him

11. PanthersFanatic12

PanthersFanatic12 Registered User

Ellerby was sewed onto the panther jersey . It did not look last min. They were sure who they wanted.

12. Nolan Hatrick

Nolan Hatrick 17+18=19

13. Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie You Serious Clark?

rememebr when crosby got drafted.. rather that 05 his number was 87

14. Complaining Customer

Complaining Customer Registered User

Sorry, but you clearly see (upper left corner), that it's a piece of cloth put over the jersey...

15. Blues077

Blues077 Registered User

Ellers was sewn on. You can tell the difference easily. McDonagh was also sewn on. Cherepanovs was too. Hmmmmmmmm makes you wonder.

The real jersey Kane got was sewn.

16. Nolan Hatrick

Nolan Hatrick 17+18=19

Sorry, but you didn't clearly read what I wrote. I didn't say the nameplate was sewn on, I just said the team was ready for him and had his name properly displayed. But, as far as the "cloth", that's how nameplates work, it's a piece of "cloth", with the name on it, and then that piece of "cloth" is sewn onto the jersey.

17. Complaining Customer

Complaining Customer Registered User

Oh sorry then, I thought that by "all ready", you meant that the jersey was "ready to be used"... the real thing.

18. Tobias

Tobias Registered User

It has been in the Danish media that Eller's name was sewn on. Not just the nameplate, the whole thing. They were after this guy.

19. Grinder2222

Grinder2222 Registered User

ellerby

I can guarantee that the Panthers did not have Ellerby's name sewn on. It was velcro like everyone elses.

20. Reminds me of the 2005 draft when the Penguins went out and already made crosby a jersey with 87 on it and used that at the draft. It was sewn on and everything. Very cool... to a point.

21. Grinder2222

Grinder2222 Registered User

Other than a situation where a team has the number one pick and they know they aren't going to trade it, every team makes up nameplates and then velcros it to the jersey just before their selection. That's just how it's done. Jerseys are expensive and you never know what's going to happen at the draft. Teams usually take two velcro jerseys and the up to twenty or thirty nameplates depending on where they pick. We can all speculate but that's what every team does unless they have a no brainer at pick number one. Sorry to ruin the fun of speculating.
    If an NHL equipment manager wants to correct me I'd be happy to hear it, but that's how it's done everywhere as far as I know.

22. The Slap Shop

The Slap Shop Shop Like a King

Home Page:
    Well if you sew the name to a nameplate and then attach it to the jersey and then your team does not pick that player you can always just remove the nameplate. At least then you've only burned a nameplate and some letters.

23. HFNHL Canadiens

HFNHL Canadiens Registered User

student
    According Bob MacKenzie, Florida really wanted Logan Couture, but San Jose traded up 1 spot ahead of them and drafted him.

24. X-SHARKIE

X-SHARKIE Registered User

Home Page:
    This doesn't mean that the team A wanted the player they got more than the player team B selected. The Sharks for example always just have the draft year for the numbers, and then "Sharks" in the place of a name. Even if they trade up to get their guy like Bernier, Setoguchi, Couture, and Kaspar ect.

25. Natey

Natey #itslickingtime

I dont see why some people think all the names are velcroed on.. Some teams sew the names of their guys on.

It was reported that Mcdonagh and Pecioretty were sewed on for Montreal and in the Danish media that Eller's name was sewed on as well. I'm sure they were others.