i love it when the jerseys have the players name sewn on it during the selection...

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
you can tell a team has a plan in place and is serious about their selections

Habs( my favorite club) had McDonough , pacioretty and Subban names stitched on the back

Many teams did the same, its a small thing but i think it is meaningful and i bet the players feel the same

Great draft by Timmins and co., never mind folding under the pressure of the Quebec media or a few ignorant fans, make a plan, work the plan, execute the plan

Bob said they were looking for more then just skill, they want character, size and skill and i feel they have done a very good job

people feel they should have taken the hometown kid, people don't realize they did. Olivier Fortier and apparently he can play, he has good hockey sense, can play with or without the puck and has " a certain something" that drive players, he has been compared to Maxim lapierre

i suppose this thread could go in a few directions, i just thought i would bring up the fact that certain teams had the names sewn on even after the first rd and i thought i would mention it

cheers:D

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
They may have had the names sewn onto the nameplates, but I can almost guarantee the nameplates were velcroed onto the jerseys themselves.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah... from all the ones I saw up close this weekend, they were just stuck on there.

Not all of them. You can tell if it's velcroed or not because when the guy goes to put it on or has it on and moves his arms, the nameplate doesn't move properly and starts to come off on the sides.

Lars Eller's name on the blues jersey looked stitched on.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Or is it that expensive to have 3 to 5 jerseys with names stitched on and just be sure you give the right jersey to the right guy when the time comes????

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Or one member of the staff is a tailor in his free time. You don't think they take all that time actually deciding who they're going to draft do you?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
The point is that, unless you're Chicago (whose jerseys they showed with velcroed nameplates), you can't be certain who you'll pick because you're not certain who'll be available, which means you can't fully sew it on ahead of time.

FreshClean

Aug 29, 2006
Yeah, they're all velcroed on..Eller is just a short name so the nameplate is small. Still some teams like Pittsburg didn't expect the names to fall to them (like Zoo just mentioned)..
which is curious because I heard somewhere that Cherapanovs name was on the Ranger jersey he got.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Yeah, they're all velcroed on..Eller is just a short name so the nameplate is small. Still some teams like Pittsburg didn't expect the names to fall to them (like Zoo just mentioned)..
which is curious because I heard somewhere that Cherapanovs name was on the Ranger jersey he got.

that's because the Rangers tried hard to move up to pick him

Blues077

Jun 7, 2006

Ellers was sewn on. You can tell the difference easily. McDonagh was also sewn on. Cherepanovs was too. Hmmmmmmmm makes you wonder.

The real jersey Kane got was sewn.

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
Sorry, but you clearly see (upper left corner), that it's a piece of cloth put over the jersey...

Sorry, but you didn't clearly read what I wrote. I didn't say the nameplate was sewn on, I just said the team was ready for him and had his name properly displayed. But, as far as the "cloth", that's how nameplates work, it's a piece of "cloth", with the name on it, and then that piece of "cloth" is sewn onto the jersey.

Complaining Customer

Aug 23, 2005
Sorry, but you didn't clearly read what I wrote. I didn't say the nameplate was sewn on, I just said the team was ready for him and had his name properly displayed. But, as far as the "cloth", that's how nameplates work, it's a piece of "cloth", with the name on it, and then that piece of "cloth" is sewn onto the jersey.

Oh sorry then, I thought that by "all ready", you meant that the jersey was "ready to be used"... the real thing.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Reminds me of the 2005 draft when the Penguins went out and already made crosby a jersey with 87 on it and used that at the draft. It was sewn on and everything. Very cool... to a point.

Grinder2222

Jun 27, 2007
Other than a situation where a team has the number one pick and they know they aren't going to trade it, every team makes up nameplates and then velcros it to the jersey just before their selection. That's just how it's done. Jerseys are expensive and you never know what's going to happen at the draft. Teams usually take two velcro jerseys and the up to twenty or thirty nameplates depending on where they pick. We can all speculate but that's what every team does unless they have a no brainer at pick number one. Sorry to ruin the fun of speculating.
If an NHL equipment manager wants to correct me I'd be happy to hear it, but that's how it's done everywhere as far as I know.

The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site
Other than a situation where a team has the number one pick and they know they aren't going to trade it, every team makes up nameplates and then velcros it to the jersey just before their selection. That's just how it's done. Jerseys are expensive and you never know what's going to happen at the draft. Teams usually take two velcro jerseys and the up to twenty or thirty nameplates depending on where they pick. We can all speculate but that's what every team does unless they have a no brainer at pick number one. Sorry to ruin the fun of speculating.
If an NHL equipment manager wants to correct me I'd be happy to hear it, but that's how it's done everywhere as far as I know.

Well if you sew the name to a nameplate and then attach it to the jersey and then your team does not pick that player you can always just remove the nameplate. At least then you've only burned a nameplate and some letters.

X-SHARKIE

This doesn't mean that the team A wanted the player they got more than the player team B selected. The Sharks for example always just have the draft year for the numbers, and then "Sharks" in the place of a name. Even if they trade up to get their guy like Bernier, Setoguchi, Couture, and Kaspar ect.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I dont see why some people think all the names are velcroed on.. Some teams sew the names of their guys on.

It was reported that Mcdonagh and Pecioretty were sewed on for Montreal and in the Danish media that Eller's name was sewed on as well. I'm sure they were others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad