I just had to buy those...

SuperMario45

Aug 10, 2004
Are these like almost Mathieu Schneider-like pads? I have pretty standard shoulder pads, but I'm thinking of getting something like these If I play another adult league in the spring. I know they're huge for safety purposes, but I hate feeling real bulky out on the ice. Heck, I wear my step-dad's old elbow pads, those things must be 20+ years old.

I think I might get those pads, thanks for showing me. I just want to know if I do inadvertantly get hit with a wrist shot up in the chest my chest won't explode.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Are these like almost Mathieu Schneider-like pads? I have pretty standard shoulder pads, but I'm thinking of getting something like these If I play another adult league in the spring. I know they're huge for safety purposes, but I hate feeling real bulky out on the ice. Heck, I wear my step-dad's old elbow pads, those things must be 20+ years old.

I think I might get those pads, thanks for showing me. I just want to know if I do inadvertantly get hit with a wrist shot up in the chest my chest won't explode.

I don't know about the Mathieu Schneider pads, might very well be? I heard when John Leclaire started with the Habs, he use to wear some shoulder pads simular to those. I don't know if they were Sher-Wood though.

as for safety...well it's minimum safety with those pads. I play in 2 adult leagues where there's no real hard contacts, other than the occasional bumps here and there. and the slappers aren't really hard also, so it's a risk I'm willing to take. I bought those because they felt very light and all. my other shoulder pads are Bauer 8000 and are a bit too bulky and big for the beer league IMO.

SuperMario45

Aug 10, 2004
Thanks. I google'd these (the one link you provided you can't order from), and they're pretty cheap, too. Only problem I'll have is that I kind of fall in between the middle and large sizes, which is always annoying when ordering anything online.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Lotta people actually wear these, and noticed quite a few pros too. And it seems like Schneider and Shanny wear pads like these, cept they were the old old Cooper models. Pretty sure Shanny has those, not sure about Scheneider, but figure they're similar.

A guy has a pair similar to these, and he took a wrister in the chest off a deflection, gave him a big welt.

SuperMario45

Aug 10, 2004
Yeah, I wouldn't wear pads like these if I was a defenseman, but I think these will suffice in a minimal contact adult league as a forward. If not I could always go back to my bulkier CCM's if need-be.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Yeah, I wouldn't wear pads like these if I was a defenseman, but I think these will suffice in a minimal contact adult league as a forward. If not I could always go back to my bulkier CCM's if need-be.

I play D and don't hesitate to get in front of a puck, but like I said earlier...nobody in the leagues I play have hard enough shots.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Well the guy on my team took a wrister, and not many in the league have a decent shot. It still left with with a welt and a nice yellow-greenish bruise. But yeah, it'll be ok for adult league, probably a freak accident sorta deal, personally I step in front of pucks foolishly and haven't take one above the belt yet after how many sessions...now watch, this week I'll take one in the chops or something.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Well the guy on my team took a wrister, and not many in the league have a decent shot. It still left with with a welt and a nice yellow-greenish bruise. But yeah, it'll be ok for adult league, probably a freak accident sorta deal, personally I step in front of pucks foolishly and haven't take one above the belt yet after how many sessions...now watch, this week I'll take one in the chops or something.

hahaha, that's what I was thinking too ;)

the guy at the hockey store, said those pads have become very popular this year.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
after playing my first game with the 5030 pads...all I can say is AWESOME!!!
they're so light and comfortable, it's as if you wearing nothing. just perfect for the adult leagues.
I did get in front of shots as usual, but no shots were high enough. only waste high. and guess where I got one. right on the jock. the shockdoctor jock did it's job ;)

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I wore these pads for a few times before selling them on eBay. I like a good amount of upper body protection and these just didn't hack it. I don't like having my ribs/beer gut exposed. Last thing I need is a slapper or butt end to ruin an otherwise fun night at the beer league. But to each his own. I know plenty of dudes who don't even rock shoulder pads.

Arcane

Oct 25, 2006
I own these and they are wicked, Light and comfortable, just enough protection so I dont break anything badly.

vcx*

I own these and they are wicked, Light and comfortable, just enough protection so I dont break anything badly.

Well, pretty much what you just said.

I own these also, i like that they are light and that when i lay someone out open ice i am still protected.

vcx*

I wore these pads for a few times before selling them on eBay. I like a good amount of upper body protection and these just didn't hack it. I don't like having my ribs/beer gut exposed. Last thing I need is a slapper or butt end to ruin an otherwise fun night at the beer league. But to each his own. I know plenty of dudes who don't even rock shoulder pads.

Maybe your hockey pants suck hard. My pants cover my ribs and i've taken a shot to the stomach and i did get a pretty nice bruise but it could have been worse if there wasn't padding there from the pants.

I have 2 pairs, bauer's (bought them in 2001) and the reebok 8k. The Bauer one is ok, not as protective, but the 8k i love, i feel safe in them and they are pretty good with movement.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I decided to give the old school pads another try and retire my bulky CCM 652 shoulder pads. I ordered a set of Easton Classics:

https://hockey.lax.com/item.phtml?page=product_5038_front.phtml

I love how they're actually marketed to beer leaguers. These offer a bit more protection than the Sherwood 5030 Tradition pads, but are still very lightweight and minimal.

Yeah I've seen those and the Bauer Classics. Actually had a teammate who wore ancient Coopers, which were like pieces of felt and like two plastic circles glued on, and gave the Eastons a try. He couldn't get used to it...I personally sport Bauer 300s for the big shoulder cap, but those Classics seem decent. I want to try some Bauer SDP since they seem to have better shoulder protection, got a bum left shoulder, cept they arn't available.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I'm returning my Easton Classics (couldn't get used to the feel), so now I am considering re-buying these Sher-Wood Traditions (only in an XL size, as opposed to the L size I ordered the first time which didn't fit well) or Itech SP50s. Leaning more towards the 'Woods but it'll be a gametime decision depending on what my hockey shop has in PJ stock.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
I wouldn't back to any other shoulder pads. I just love my 5030s`
the weight and comfort is unbelieveable. I really have freedom of movement with those bads. I hate playing equipment that gives a bulky feeling

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Awright, just got back from the shop and picked up a pair of size XL 5030 Traditions. I should've bought this size about 6 months ago when I first ordered them. Lesson learned.

Oh and the pads rule.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Awright, just got back from the shop and picked up a pair of size XL 5030 Traditions. I should've bought this size about 6 months ago when I first ordered them. Lesson learned.

Oh and the pads rule.

good choice my man...you just can't wrong with 5030s`
oh and I rounded the shoulder pads a little bit, so they fit even more my shoulders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad