I have seen the future, and his name is AO

Status
Not open for further replies.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Hockeycanada said:
Every time Ovechkin was on the ice in the third period I was very nervous. He is the future superstar of the NHL.

Reminds me of watching Peter Forsberg play against the Wings in the late 90's. A faster Peter Forsberg. :eek:

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
octopi said:
Reminds me of watching Peter Forsberg play against the Wings in the late 90's. A faster Peter Forsberg. :eek:

But he doesn't have the vision yet (passing skills)....but he is only a pup. The Forsberg comparison is a great one, especially cuz he hits like a freight train.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
nik jr said:
AO does shoot too much. he tries to make plays by himself too often. he does many other good things, tho. like the diving stick-check/pass to kozlov that led to his g.

at least he's attacking the D and drawing penalties. kovalchuk, otoh, has been terrible. he just skates in and shoots. i still think he should play w/ malkin.

I'd say Kovalchuk and Ovechkin are both guilty of shooting too much when carrying the puck into the zone (at first I figured Alex had just forgotten how to play with good linemates). Ovechkin's alternate plan is to crash the net with his ridiculous stickhandling (like Kovalchuk did in his early years), which makes for great entertainment, penalties and some fantastic goals. Ilya now normally just does the Thornton-esque pull up at the half boards and looks for the 3rd/4th man in the rush (which is great if done in moderation!).

It's like Kovalchuk has forgotten how to beat people in the offensive zone.. Or even how to cut to the middle of the slot effectively. He's hardly scored at all this season on that cut-to-the-middle-quick-wrist-shot move that he used to score on so frequently.. Hopefully some of Ovechkin's little tricks rub off on him.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I was more impressed with Malkin, he was a standout all over of the ice, not just the offensive zone.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Jonjmc said:
Couldnt disagree more..... is ao a good player, yes. But.... has anyone looked at the number of shots he takes????? Today against canada was a good example. Every time he carried the puck up the ice he shoots, Canada seemed to pick up on that mid second period. I think there are quite a few players in the nhl, some even not in the nhl that would produce as many goals as ao given that many shots...... JMO
Dude have you ever seen the Crapitals play? He shoots so much because it's their only possible chance to score if he passed the puck more instead of shooting Washington would lose ever game.

mach777

Nov 10, 2003
Den said:
Well, I have seen the present and his name is Victor Kozlov :yo: :yo:

Yea he had an awesome game, never seen him play with such grit and determination.

NashisCash

Jan 25, 2006
Peterboreough
AO isn't close to a finished project offensively, which is pretty scary. Once he learns to calm down a bit and break down defenses, instead of rushing insanely into the defense everytime and trying for a shot, he will be downright scary. He needs to pick his spots a bit more knowing when to pass and shoot, and to learn to slow the play down and get in position to fire his wicked shot off the cycle. I don't think he's the best player in the game yet, but he is probably damn close.

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
It's great to finally root for a team that has AO on it. It's just such an awesome feeling to have such a weapon. As a Ranger fan, there isn't one player in the whole NHL that scares me more than Ovechkin. Kovalchuk and Crosby to some degree, but Crosby takes dumb penalties for yapping too much and for dirty stickwork. Alex, on the other hand, is intimidating. I haven't seen a more intimidating player since a 25 year old Lindros. Not only AO will undress you and score, but he will run over your players too. And that's a scary thought. Every time he is on forecheck, you cringe for your defensemen. It is not so obvious on the huge Olympic ice surface, but on the smaller NHL rink, it's scary.

Rage Against

Jan 6, 2006
under my umbrella
Agreed. Ovechkin can at times shoot too much but how is that bad? I'd take that over a guy who passes too much. But meh, that's me.

I think he'll develop a better passing game with time and when he starts getting used to playing with better players and doesn't feel the need to do it all himself. I think he's just playing way too amped and going at 200% each shift. But man, the kid is flat out amazing and has all the tools. But we all know that and that's like saying the sky is blue.

Must be all that redbull vodka's they serve on the bench.

Phil333

Dec 26, 2003
New York City
I don't think he is the best player yet. The way Jagr has taken the Rangers to the top (and yes I am biased) leads me to believe he is the best, even if Ovechkin has more speed. But I believe Ovechkin is easily top 5 and well on his way to becoming the future of the NHL and the best player in the world.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
mach777 said:
I'm a huge Forsberg fan, but after watching the Russia-Canada game, the best player in the world right now is Alexander Ovechkin. What a completely awesome player.

All that speed, stickhandling, physical play, shot, and energy... he will not be contained.

Crosby will undoubtedly shine if Olympics goes pro again in the next olympics, but right now this is Ovechkins show.

Speed is the future, and players who have it will score goals, goals... goals....
Now I can't argue that point he's a amazing, but I have to say that Malkin has the potential to be the best all-round Russian NHL ever, he's was simply unreal today against Canada, wow is Pittsburgh luck to have him.

Nova88

Oct 6, 2005
I though Kovy played well! He played one of his best games. He was taking the shots and pushing the play and setting up players. I though Dats looked slow.

Jazz

mach777 said:
I'm a huge Forsberg fan, but after watching the Russia-Canada game, the best player in the world right now is Alexander Ovechkin. What a completely awesome player.

All that speed, stickhandling, physical play, shot, and energy... he will not be contained.

Crosby will undoubtedly shine if Olympics goes pro again in the next olympics, but right now this is Ovechkins show.

Speed is the future, and players who have it will score goals, goals... goals....
Haha - don't tell Ilya Kovalchuk.

Ray Ferraro (Kovalchuk's former teammate in Atlanta) says that Ilya is insanely jealous of the attention AO gets...

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany

AgentNaslund*

ive seen the future too, and its Sidney Crosby. Hes ahead of Ovechkin at the same age, and i see him ahead of him in the future.

CUBErt

Feb 13, 2006
Finland
AgentNaslund said:
ive seen the future too, and its Sidney Crosby. Hes ahead of Ovechkin at the same age, and i see him ahead of him in the future.
Honestly, who cares right now? Ovechkin is playing a huge role on a team possibly headed for the olympic gold. Where is Crosby? At Mario's house playing a little Playstation as the Capitals? :sarcasm:

We'll see what becomes of these two in a few years, but good grief can't either of them have some success right now without these boneheaded comparisons being brought up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad