I have 1st pick in next years draft...help/thoughts??

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
My pools a keeper league thats been ongoing for about 6 years I think. As stated I managed to finish last to retain the first pick in the upcomming draft. I have M.A Fleury already as well as Cam Ward and was thinking of taking Seman Varlamov from russia 1st overall?? other guys available are guys like bobby ryan, shrempf, andy macdonald, prucha, umberger, bernier...etc. thoughts???

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
HansonBro said:
My pools a keeper league thats been ongoing for about 6 years I think. As stated I managed to finish last to retain the first pick in the upcomming draft. I have M.A Fleury already as well as Cam Ward and was thinking of taking Seman Varlamov from russia 1st overall?? other guys available are guys like bobby ryan, shrempf, andy macdonald, prucha, umberger, bernier...etc. thoughts???

Hmmm well if you take Varlamov first overall.....expect to finish last for many years to come.

That may be the craziest move I've ever seen, I'm hoping you were being sarcastic.

I wouldn't even pick Varlamov among the top 5 goaltenders for the upcoming draft.

Anyway just my opinion, but still...common

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
well who would you take then??? and obviously hes not going to be playing next year so its not a move id make to be winning. Like I said...keeper league and im in the rebuilding stage. I just traded away alffy, selanne, and sundin so i could end up last. :dunno:

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
HansonBro said:
well who would you take then??? and obviously hes not going to be playing next year so its not a move id make to be winning. Like I said...keeper league and im in the rebuilding stage. I just traded away alffy, selanne, and sundin so i could end up last. :dunno:

sounds like you rebuilt cause you wanted to....cause those 3 players are pretty darned good. I sure hope you got good return.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
HansonBro said:

Bernier
Schremp
Prucha
McDonald
Umberger
Ryan

Varla-whatever

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
Semen Varlamov? Haha.

I don't even want to know what you traded away Alfie and Selanne for.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I dunno boys. Some guys here seemed to actually understand and some seemed to just feel the need to post. I know its hard for some of you to understand my position in my league and its structure but in a keeper league you go through phases, such as rebuilding. Rebuilding would be deffined as my teams getting old and not matching up anymore, resulting in a "sell off" of older talent for younger talent/prospects/draft picks.

For instance my trade

selanne 35.83 (age)
alffy 33.5
sundin 35.5

for

J Williams 24.5
Frolov 24
legwand 25
1st2006 (turns out to be the 13th pickoverall)

So yes granted i gave up the better players. But in reality those players do me no good in 2 years when they retire or get injured anyday. So you sell them off while you can still get "full" value for them persay. Again you only do that once your team is getting beyond repairable by a simple trade. With 13 poolies and a 28 man roster we go pretty deep into drafting and take it pretty serious. History shows that the top 3 finishers (money winners) win with their team built around their goalies. Mainly meaning you want your team to "peak" at the same time your goalies do. Goalies are the most valuable asset in this pool.

So for those who think someone is doing something wrong, why not try and help them rather than posting nonsence and looking no better than what apparently you think you are.

So anyways did anyone watch varlamov in the IIHF under 18 tourney in april?? I caught a couple games and he made some very good saves and looked solid. Going by the books and magazines are good to some point but nothings better than scouting your own. I see Antropov gets picked what 13th overall? by the leafs and watching that kid skate like a donkey I wonder how anyone thought hed be good boggles my mind. Peace :badidea:

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
HansonBro said:
I dunno boys. Some guys here seemed to actually understand and some seemed to just feel the need to post. I know its hard for some of you to understand my position in my league and its structure but in a keeper league you go through phases, such as rebuilding. Rebuilding would be deffined as my teams getting old and not matching up anymore, resulting in a "sell off" of older talent for younger talent/prospects/draft picks.

For instance my trade

selanne 35.83 (age)
alffy 33.5
sundin 35.5

for

J Williams 24.5
Frolov 24
legwand 25
:

actually for rebuilding thats a pretty good offer. Legwand had an off year but altogether you got some solid youth considering it was 1 trade.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
I see what you're saying but Varlamov isn't even gonna be in the NHL for probably atleast 2 years, possibly 3 or 4 and even then he probably won't be starting. Goalies are wwaaaay too hard to predict, I wouldn't waste a high pick on them. It looks like there's some real good talent available for skaters so I would definitly take one of them. And if need be you could trade them for a much better goalie than Varlamov.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
HansonBro said:

For instance my trade

selanne 35.83 (age)
alffy 33.5
sundin 35.5

for

J Williams 24.5
Frolov 24
legwand 25

So yes granted i gave up the better players. But in reality those players do me no good in 2 years when they retire or get injured anyday. So you sell them off while you can still get "full" value for them persay. Again you only do that once your team is getting beyond repairable by a simple trade. With 13 poolies and a 28 man roster we go pretty deep into drafting and take it pretty serious. History shows that the top 3 finishers (money winners) win with their team built around their goalies. Mainly meaning you want your team to "peak" at the same time your goalies do. Goalies are the most valuable asset in this pool.

So for those who think someone is doing something wrong, why not try and help them rather than posting nonsence and looking no better than what apparently you think you are.

So anyways did anyone watch varlamov in the IIHF under 18 tourney in april?? I caught a couple games and he made some very good saves and looked solid. Going by the books and magazines are good to some point but nothings better than scouting your own. I see Antropov gets picked what 13th overall? by the leafs and watching that kid skate like a donkey I wonder how anyone thought hed be good boggles my mind. Peace :badidea:

Dude, I hear ya. I'm in a keeper league myself. 26 teams and I've been building since joining as an expansion team in 2000. I've never had guys as good as the ones you've traded, but I can appreciate what you're doing.

Anyhow, my two cents on Varlamov vs. the other guys. My advice is to go for Andy MacDonald. Really, watching this guy is fun. He can fly, he's smart, he's only 28 and he'll get you a ton of points. Not sure what other goalie prospects are available, but with Fleury and Ward, you seem set. Can you use more than two? I like Helenius better than Varlamov.

After MacDonald, I would take rank them as follows: Bernier, Prucha, Umberger, Ryan, Schrempf, Varlamov.

Don't get sucked in by a 17-year-old goalie getting hot for a few games. Go for the sure thing, in this case, Andy MacDonald. I would even go so far as to say Bernier and Prucha are sure things. If you want to draft younger, go for them. Good luck, man.

Svatos4MVP

Apr 21, 2006
Go with Bernier. He's projecting into a solid power forward. Those guys always take a little longer to develop because they need to find a way to balance their game (take a look at Erik Cole, for instance). Plus, Bernier is on a good team that is surrounded by talent (on a line with Marleau and on a team with Thornton) who can help him produce. In a fantasy league, a guy who can score goals, have nice +/-, and get PIMs is very valuable and versitile. Otherwise, I'd take Schremp since he has a good offensive upside and should be surrounded by a bunch of other young Oilers.

Also, I don't think other GMs will place Varlamov on as high a pedastool as you do. If you really like him, just try to trade for him after the draft and talk him down to whoever drafted him (people on this board seem to be doing a good job with that :snide: ) so you don't give up that much.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Hansonbro,

I'm in a keeper league myself. Won a couple championships. And I'm going to be blunt: this pick is one of the most important selections you'll ever make. You've got some outstanding talent to choose from.

With Fleury and Ward, you don't need another goaltender. You especially don't need a 17 or 18 year old kid from a country that traditionally has not produced good goaltenders. (Although Bryzgalov has been great). Unless you dress four goalies, avoid this kid. You can generally get a strong goalie during the season if your pool allows for add-drops. Besides, I'm sure you can get Varlamov later in the draft.

Out of the players you listed, I'd say go with Bernier, Ryan or Schremp. I like McDonald, but in your situation, you need a player who is going to get you 10-12 years of high-end production. McDonald won't get that for you.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
thats exactly what i was thinking about mcdonald. he may be the best player in the draft right now but in the long run not the right choice. I really like what aneheim is doing which is making me lean towards bobby ryan. Not that it would happen, but a line of perry, getzlaf and ryan would be sweet....oh btw i already have perry too. I might look and see if anyone is willing to trade up for my pick also i guess, like a 1st and 2nd for mine.

smnhppu

Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
If I can make a suggestion, figure out what you want out of your first round pick.

The way I see it, your first round pick has to be someone who contributes immediately (or soon at least), contributes big points, and for a long time. It's got to be a blue chip. Everyone here can give their opinion on who is a blue chip, but in the end, you've got to figure it out, and make the decision for yourself. My choice: Bernier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad