I Hate The Draft Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Doesn't every team have a draft lottery party?

Winnipeg has one every year that the GM shouts out when making the pick.

Most teams call it a Draft Party ( as in come see who we draft ) . Actually hosting a Draft Lottery Party .... says something is wrong with your team.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
this guy is 100% ok with the cap (thanks uncle gary). population shouldn't drive team success. some big market fans have convinced themselves that 'unwavering fan support' is the reason for their revenue advantage. it's a numbers game... and not a very complicated one.

That does not really hold up. If as you say it is all about numbers the top attendance numbers would be in the exact same order as market size. Yet the NYR are 18th in attendance. Boston is 19th. Calgary with their wopping 1.266 million people is 9th. Buffalo with a struggling team is 7th.

It's more complicated than you think.

www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Players don't get their values artificially held down(to much atleast), and teams with smart front office's would rise to the top of the league.

Yeah that still doesn't solve the issue. It brings us back to square one. 15 teams consistently make it into the playoffs while the other 16 don't make it. There's no parity. If you were a #1 overall player, would you join a team like Arizona or Buffalo or Edmonton who are at the bottom of the list or a successful team that's winning all the time?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Oh look what do you know, an Oiler fan defending the lottery rules. You can’t even make this stuff up lol. As just discussed in another thread, the NHL changed the lottery rules because of Edmonton’s incompetence only to have it work out in their favor in the 2015 lottery. I think that was the 5th or 6th year in a row that Oiler fans gathered up to have “draft lottery parties”. Isn’t that a problem? A teams fan base having lottery parties?

Defending it? More like we had nothing to do with it. Derp. NHL put this on themselves. :facepalm:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Yeah that still doesn't solve the issue. It brings us back to square one. 15 teams consistently make it into the playoffs while the other 16 don't make it. There's no parity. If you were a #1 overall player, would you join a team like Arizona or Buffalo or Edmonton who are at the bottom of the list or a successful team that's winning all the time?

With a hard cap, the team that is winning all the time can't offer the money a team like Arizona/Buffalo can. Because if you win, your players expect raises.

ie Chicago's won an absolute ton in the last decade but they wouldn't have had the cap space to get McDavid, Mathews, Mackinnon or Eichel as 18 year old UFAs. They'd have to be smart, scout and find mid tier prospects they can afford. Without the upper tier prospects.

If they find themselves enough diamond's in the rough to keep going, more power to them. If those 15 teams consistently make the playoffs, it's because the front office was smart enough to. Not because they blew 12 million on every 1st overall pick player, because than you wouldn't have the capspace to build out a team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I miss not having a salary cap more. Why build a power house only to have to tear it down because your team is too good?

Why should 4-5 teams be able to buy all the players drafted and developed by everyone else?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
With a hard cap, the team that is winning all the time can't offer the money a team like Arizona/Buffalo can. Because if you win, your players expect raises.

ie Chicago's won an absolute ton in the last decade but they wouldn't have had the cap space to get McDavid, Mathews, Mackinnon or Eichel as 18 year old UFAs. They'd have to be smart, scout and find mid tier prospects they can afford. Without the upper tier prospects.

If they find themselves enough diamond's in the rough to keep going, more power to them. If those 15 teams consistently make the playoffs, it's because the front office was smart enough to. Not because they blew 12 million on every 1st overall pick player, because than you wouldn't have the capspace to build out a team.

I'm trying to figure out if this would help or kill NCAA hockey.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

It won't work that way. Players always have a reason to not go to the worse teams, may it be the geographical area, the fans, the weather, the amount of exposure, etc. They will always find a way to play on the successful teams. Plus no team would be stupid enough to sign a 18 year old to a 12-15M contract before they get to see how they play in the NHL. It just wouldn't work.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
The Draft Lottery exists thanks to Edmonton, Pittsburgh, and Chicago throwing games on purpose to get their 1st overall picks back in the day, the latter two getting Cups as a direct result.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Obviously the lottery was not rigged, but you are crazy if you think the NHL makes more money with Matthews in Arizona than in Toronto.

View attachment 94105

It would be a nylander or marner jersey in that same spot if Matthews was in AZ. Do you really not think they’d want to send a local superstar to a team with struggling attendance?

Their biggest MO is to grow the game, there’s no room to grow in Toronto

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It won't work that way. Players always have a reason to not go to the worse teams, may it be the geographical area, the fans, the weather, the amount of exposure, etc. They will always find a way to play on the successful teams. Plus no team would be stupid enough to sign a 18 year old to a 12-15M contract before they get to see how they play in the NHL. It just wouldn't work.

I wouldn't underestimate the stupidity of NHL GMs.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I disagree. The hardcap has made the ELC system obsolete. And heaven forbid we give players options to whom they want to play for.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Ottawa says hi.

You remember Alexandre Daigle? The man drafted by Ottawa first overall in the 1993 draft. The man who received the largest starting salary in league history up until that time (5 years, 12.25 million).

That's what happens when there is no cap and no rules to stop GMs from being stupid and just trying to outbid each other..

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The Draft Lottery exists thanks to Edmonton, Pittsburgh, and Chicago throwing games on purpose to get their 1st overall picks back in the day, the latter two getting Cups as a direct result.

Chicago and Edmonton never won a 1st overall pick prior to the implementation of the Draft Lottery. Pittsburgh did, but that was in 1984, some 11 years before the lottery was put into place in 1995.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I disagree. The hardcap has made the ELC system obsolete. And heaven forbid we give players options to whom they want to play for.

So teams like Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Columbus, NYI, Buffalo, Carolina, St. Louis, Arizona, and Nashville will struggle with this system with either their location being an issue or the owners are money pinchers and won't spend a bunch of money to obtain them. I disagree with this logic.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
How did Chicago get Kane when four teams finished worse than them in 2006-07?

I don't understand your question here. The Draft Lottery began in 1995. Bizz's contention was that the Lottery exists because Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Edmonton tanked to get first overall picks, but Chicago and Edmonton never got first overall picks prior to the 1995 implementation of the Lottery - that's all I'm saying.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't understand your question here. The Draft Lottery began in 1995. Bizz's contention was that the Lottery exists because Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Edmonton tanked to get first overall picks, but Chicago and Edmonton never got first overall picks prior to the 1995 implementation of the Lottery - that's all I'm saying.

Nevermind, mis-read your post.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I am absolutely SHOCKED to see fans from Toronto and New York calling the cap a bad thing. Shocked I tell you.
The Rangers have one of the best win % since the salary cap was enacted, and have only missed the playoffs once. This has nothing to do with the Rangers. The salary cap has been a godsend for us

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
The Rangers have one of the best win % since the salary cap was enacted, and have only missed the playoffs once. This has nothing to do with the Rangers. The salary cap has been a godsend for us

Well, part of it has to do with the Rangers in terms of the Salary Cap...not fully as they share the blame with the higher tier markets. As for the draft lottery, none at all.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I wouldn't underestimate the stupidity of NHL GMs.
People seem to think a team taking a gamble is "stupidity" on the part of the GM. The truth is that when faced with a situation where:
Bad things happen if you do nothing
Bad things happen if you gamble and fail
Good things happen if you gamble and win

The smart decision here is to take the gamble.

The problem is that winning/loosing in the NHL is zero sum, for one team to win another MUST lose so you are going to get GM’s who gamble and lose regardless of how smart they are and how good their decision making is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad