I hate Chris Pronger!

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
Dear Chris Pronger,

Before 2005 I never followed hockey.

One night during that year a young fellow from the UK was having trouble sleeping and decided to flick on the bedroom tv for a little while before inevitability falling asleep. Nothing was on the main four 'terrestrial' channels. So he tried channel 5. Now the majority of you will have no idea what that is so I will explain.

Channel 5 was a pretty new channel in relation to the other 4. It was launched in 1995 or thereabouts. And it was terrible. Full of low budget trash and international (American) tv series that had been rejected by the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and SKY. For at least 5 years you could barely get a signal of the channel if you were using an aerial that was sitting on top of your tv. And even when they eventually boosted the signal you still had to position the aerial in an abnormal position that meant you could only get channel 5 and nothing else. Basically no one ever said they liked channel 5.

Then it happened. An ice hockey game! Oh cool I remember playing NHL 99 with friends on PlayStation as the Dallas Stars and I've been to a few Belfast Giants games. It was the Stanley Cup Final. That must be their Champions League final right? Interesting. I was trying to work out what was going on on my slightly fuzzy picture. Then Pronger got the puck. Wow that guy is huge I thought to myself, and he's so much better than everyone else he's completely dictating the play. I waited the rest of the game for him to get the puck. Anyway, Pisani scored the winner and everyone went mental. I enjoyed this a lot so from that moment on I decided I was an Oilers fan. Because of Chris Pronger.

The next day i did some research on the team. You see the Oilers have a lot of parallels with my favourite soccer team, Liverpool which I followed religiously. Amazing in the 80s, a rich storied history, both played in reputably unfashionable working class cities, fans were highly regarded as knowledgeable about the game.... But ultimately both were living in the shadow of past achievements but had been really successful that year despite being big underdogs. Liverpool won their final though but nevermind! This further formed my desire to be a fan because I knew these circumstances just too well.

Now... i have McDavid (YES YES) but am stuck with the seemingly never ending depression of underachievment leading to feelings of apathy and pointlessness. I can not change teams because I would consider myself a fraud. This is my curse that I am stuck with. Right now because i can not sleep I am writing satirical hate mail through my phone a website at 3 a.m to a guy who could not care less about the Oilers and will never read it. Additionally this thread will probably be quickly locked because of some beurcratic reason of maintaining quality. Because of Chris Pronger.

So screw you Chris! You terrible person. You left me when I needed you most.

And sort yourselves out Oilers. Now.

I feel better now. Maybe i gave someone a laugh somewhere. Cool story bro! Goodnight

Reactions: PulYou and oljimmy

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You can't blame a person's personal life in sports

At the end of the day, this guy gave Edm alot. That was a special year and we can boast having one of the best dmen in history on this club

Reactions: Pointteen

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
You can't blame a person's personal life in sports

At the end of the day, this guy gave Edm alot. That was a special year and we can boast having one of the best dmen in history on this club

I know it is tounge in cheek :)

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Blame basketball and football for being so popular the league needed to fiddle with the game day in and day out. Every day. Fiddle. Diddle.

Reactions: McDaddy

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
“Now... i have McDavid (YES YES) but am stuck with the seemingly never ending depression of underachievment leading to feelings of apathy and pointlessness. I can not change teams because I would consider myself a fraud. This is my curse that I am stuck with.“

I hear you. I’m done - after 20 years of mismanagement and poor direction, this team (aside from the shiniest new toy) does nothing but depress me. I’m ready to move on.

Reactions: Summary

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Pronger wasn't like most millionaires who can have the final say in a marriage. For those of you that are not married, money does talk. It's sad, but it's the truth. When you have a lot of money, are married, you can throw down the gauntlet and have more say. That's how it is. Even in a good healthy marriage.

Unfortunately for us, her wifes daddy was also loaded and she liked to mingle and party and be a socialite.She didn't *need him*. She couldn't even be bothered to live here with him all of the time. Poor guy just rented in Terwillegar town and rented his furniture.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
tumblr_ot7rnp5FIz1vqzdjoo1_540.gif

Reactions: nabob

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Pronger wasn't like most millionaires who can have the final say in a marriage. For those of you that are not married, money does talk. It's sad, but it's the truth. When you have a lot of money, are married, you can throw down the gauntlet and have more say. That's how it is. Even in a good healthy marriage.

Unfortunately for us, her wifes daddy was also loaded and she liked to mingle and party and be a socialite.She didn't *need him*. She couldn't even be bothered to live here with him all of the time. Poor guy just rented in Terwillegar town and rented his furniture.

Edmontonians didn't socialize the way they do in St. Louis. Plus, there isn't a lot of sun in the winter to bake that skin to whatever shade was needed.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's actually really surprising that he agreed to sign that contract extension when he was dealt here. There must have been some kind of agreement made that he could have a "movement clause" in the deal. Can't see any other way he agrees to come here.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It's actually really surprising that he agreed to sign that contract extension when he was dealt here. There must have been some kind of agreement made that he could have a "movement clause" in the deal. Can't see any other way he agrees to come here.
I’ve wondered that too but I think it’s most likely that because all the big spending teams were cutting salary to get under the cap that he thought the Oilers offer might be the very best he was going to get. I remember the quote where he said he and his wife had a ten minute conversation about the Oilers offer and decided to take the deal. That quote bothered me at the time, seemed to me that conversation should have been much longer unless it was about these guys are offering me this much and I’m not getting it anywhere else. I better take it. That was the first year in the cap system and there was so much uncertainty about it heading into that season. A couple months later everything stabilized with the cap and it became clear many other teams had more flexibility than they thought they did. That seemed to coincide with when the Pronger’s started disliking Edmonton.

Getting back to your original point, it wouldn’t surprise me if there was some kind of agreement between Pronger and the team too. Maybe not even a clause but just a verbal agreement Lowe okayed just to get him to sign, thinking it wouldn’t be an issue. What bugs me is Pronger should have always been considered as a high risk here. He spent a lot of time on tv during that lockout ripping small markets and saying he'd never play for less than $10 million a year.

Reactions: nabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->