I don't get the NHL. What is the point of drafting now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
tangible_faith said:
Exactly my point. Now a team that drafted horribly can come in and take whoever they want. So what is the point of drafting now? :dunno:
If you can draft a guy that can come in and take a top 6 forward, or top 4 defense slot in his first three years, you are saving money while he's under the rookie cap.

Look at Pittsburgh: say Crosby gets 90 pts on the #1 line. How much would a 90 pt. UFA cost you? 5-6M? They get the same production for 1/6 the price for three years.

This is obviously an extreme example, but as long as a player you draft can take a regular shift, you are saving some dough over a comparable free agent.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
jamiebez said:
This is obviously an extreme example, but as long as a player you draft can take a regular shift, you are saving some dough over a comparable free agent.
Exactly not everyone is Sidney Crosby...

Sicilian

Feb 12, 2004
Douggy said:
On the other hand, if a team like Ottawa knows that say after this year they're going to lose Alfredsson, they can trade him for someone lesser and some picks and just keep the pipeline comming.

Kinda like the Yashin for Spezza/Chara trade.

It seems to work for the Oakland Athletics in Baseball. :)

exactly! under this system it's going to reward those teams that draft CONSISTENTLY well year after year, as they will have a continuous stream of solid and CHEAP talent to fill out the roster between the stars. on the other hand, those teams that get a lucky bounce of the ping pong ball (cough cough, PITTSBURGH, cough cough) will not be guaranteed a contender for 12 years simply because they had one good pick.

(disclaimer: i know pitt has had more than one high pick, so the example is not ideal, but i'm just makin a point ;) )

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
in a capped world

drafting goes through the roof in importance.

How effective your lower cost players are will be the determining factor in deciding who wins and who goes home.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
jamiebez said:
If you can draft a guy that can come in and take a top 6 forward, or top 4 defense slot in his first three years, you are saving money while he's under the rookie cap.

Look at Pittsburgh: say Crosby gets 90 pts on the #1 line. How much would a 90 pt. UFA cost you? 5-6M? They get the same production for 1/6 the price for three years.

Assuming he doesn't hit bonuses and cost $4m+.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
AM said:

How effective your lower cost players are will be the determining factor in deciding who wins and who goes home.

Bingo. A team that drafts poorly must spend more money on key positions, meaning it has to pay minimal salaries on the rest of the roster.

A team that drafts well has cheaper players filling those positions, leaving more money for a better roster.

You can either buy these players at free agency, and put them with AHL talent, or you can draft these players, and put them with NHL talent.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
The way I look at it is. There was nothing holding the players back in the first place before this even happened. Players have always been demanding trades and everything else. So this really doesn't change anything. If a player is going to leave. There going to leave one way or another.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
tangible_faith said:
Star players also sell seats/merchandise....Some players are ready for the NHL right away.
Then your point is moot:

Superstar prospects would give their parent club 7 years of service.

IIRC, It took the Penguins 7 years to win their first cup after drafting Lemieux.

GSC2k2*

Actually I think all players owe seven years of service, do they not? Or four years by age 27, I believe. So a player that starts at 20 is not a UFA uintil age 27.

Skroob*

EventHorizon said:
My question is, what was the point of drafting before if the small market teams worked pretty much as feeder clubs to the big market teams? At least now, when a player reaches free agency his current team has as much of a chance to sign him as anyone else.

small markets will never be happy. They will always find something to complain about.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
AM said:

Bingo !!! ... Having young cheap talent that can play, allows you to spend more $$$$ on the rest of your team. It's a big reason why the Flyers are in such good shape heading into the season:

Carter, Richards, Sharp, Seidenberg, Pitkanen, Esche and Niittymaki make up 1/3 of our roster, yet only take up 13.5% of the $39M. Those seven combined count the exact same against the cap as newly signed Peter Forsberg.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Douggy said:
Apples to Oranges.

NFL Draftees are capable of comming and starting for their teams immediately.
The point still stands that it's valueable to have young undersalaried guys to fill roster spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->