I Am Super Excited For This Season

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I dropped Center Ice for this year. If I notice them on the national games, I will watch some. I really wont make my schedule around their schedule until they make the conference finals. I just cant get excited about it anymore

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I got to a point of having too much emotionally invested with this team for essentially no playoff return. It's not worth it to me anymore so I'll not spend any money this year and wait for the after game highlights if at all. This is only the 3rd time I've check HF's since elimination.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I'm really not going to be following this season with anywhere near the intensity of the past two. They ripped my heart out in 2017. A place in the SC Finals was literally handed to them (considering 1) their ONLY rival in the East Pittsburgh was down to perennial playoff choker MAF in goal, a defence without Letang, and an offence with concussion plagued Crosby 2) they had home ice throughout the playoffs and 3) had their best team on paper, ever, with no injury issues going int the playoffs), and yet they still managed to blow it. I should say Trotz and his blind faith in super slow veterans like Brooks Orpik blew it.

And if they couldn't win it last year with a stacked team and everything in their favor, what possible chance do they have this year? Who knows, maybe this is one of those rare teams who actually thrives as a dark horse, but I wouldn't count on it.

Life is too short to root for the Caps. Back to my first love, football. They say my Patriots are gearing up for a possible undefeated run...

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That's a fairly weak analysis. lots of much longer term fans than you, just feeling (rightly so) burned. Hardly bandwagoners IMO. It's called being human.

Been a Caps fan since 74 and I haven't given up on this team. I am looking forward to the upcoming season but expectations aren't as high.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Been a Caps fan since 74 and I haven't given up on this team. I am looking forward to the upcoming season but expectations aren't as high.

85 myself...I'll never give up on them, but damn if the heartbreak isn't tough to swallow after 3+ decades....

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
cant imagine giving up on them now, been watching since 85. My luck they would win immediately and Id have missed it. Just going to try to scale expectations back to before the last two years. still going to watch every game for the most part.

itsjustsurvival

These are my last, last words
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
I think I'm going to buy like a hat or shirt for each team and whoever is in 1st place I'll cheer for. Literally win win. (Kidding...sort of)

In all seriousness, I'm actually looking forward to this season more than last. Lowered expectations and getting to see some youth play.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Caps fans: when the team wins too much we're bored with winning and don't want to watch. When we think they're going to stink we're depressed by losing and don't want to watch.

Then we wonder why fans of other teams accuse us of not being a hockey town. lol

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Come on buddy that's low. People have the right to be upset or disinterested. Being a Caps fan isn't the most rewarding activity to say the least.

Eh, they lost to the Cup champs two years in a row, the only team in my heart I believe they couldn't beat. People really need to be more proud of the team.

Letting kids play always makes me happy. Just downloaded the schedule onto my iCal. Still excited.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just because they lost to the cup champs doesn't make them 2nd best in the league. They were a playoff team. That's it. The regular season records are meaningless in the playoffs, which are subject to the whims of the NHL's seeding structure. It could also be possible that the Leafs were the only team they could've beaten in a 7 game series. We don't know.

But we do know a few things...they lost to the Pens again, and they failed to make it out of the 2nd round again. Everything else is just stuff we tell ourselves to make it seem less frustrating.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
That's a fairly weak analysis. lots of much longer term fans than you, just feeling (rightly so) burned. Hardly bandwagoners IMO. It's called being human.

Everyone is justified in being angry and disappointed, but it sucks that that's all anyone ever seems to have to say about the team anymore.

Do we really need to make the same points about their playoff failures over and over again? Can't we just enjoy watching what should be a pretty good team play hockey?

I know a lot of people can't, and that sucks.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
We can't even get past the second round, why do people feel so confident we could handle the 3rd round and the Finals so easily. We were never the 2nd biggest favorite if we can't handle the pressures of the 2nd round.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
We can't even get past the second round, why do people feel so confident we could handle the 3rd round and the Finals so easily. We were never the 2nd biggest favorite if we can't handle the pressures of the 2nd round.

That's disingenuous. They couldn't handle the Pens. It just so happens that each time they've played them, has been the 2nd round. Could've lost to Pens in 1st, 2nd,3rd, or 4th rounds. It's the Pens they couldn't handle. Not the 2nd round.

Least the last 2 years.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
That's disingenuous. They couldn't handle the Pens. It just so happens that each time they've played them, has been the 2nd round. Could've lost to Pens in 1st, 2nd,3rd, or 4th rounds. It's the Pens they couldn't handle. Not the 2nd round.

Least the last 2 years.

I am not sure they would have beat the Senators. It would have been like a Hurricanes game. They would have struggled against a less talented team that worked a lot harder.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
I am not sure they would have beat the Senators. It would have been like a Hurricanes game. They would have struggled against a less talented team that worked a lot harder.

I don't know that they would have either. I just take umbrage to the notion that it was the "2nd round" that did that team in (the 2 yr window team). It was the Pens that did them in. Pure and simple.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

The Sens' only answer to our game was trapping when we played them. Eventually we would've broken through and defeated them like the Penguins did.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That's blind faith talking. Sens were hotter IMO. maybe we scrape out a 7-game win, but hardly a certainty. When you've shown you can't get past the 2nd round, no matter the opponent, it seems foolish to assume they would here. Mentally weak is mentally weak.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know that they would have either. I just take umbrage to the notion that it was the "2nd round" that did that team in (the 2 yr window team). It was the Pens that did them in. Pure and simple.

Bro, they've lost to plenty of others in the 2nd round. They're weak mentally at the core...the label of 2nd round chokers certainly has an impact on their psyche. The Pens angle is quickly growing into a clear coping mechanism around these parts.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Bro, they've lost to plenty of others in the 2nd round. They're weak mentally at the core...the label of 2nd round chokers certainly has an impact on their psyche. The Pens angle is quickly growing into a clear coping mechanism around these parts.

I was pretty specific about the "2yr window team". Caps had plenty of "winners" on that team. They didn't win. I place that directly at the feet of the Penguins.

That's how I feel about it. It isn't a coping mechanism because I hate the Pens. I'd rather not admit that they were simply the better team, head to head. That's far more painful for me to admit that, than it is to grab onto some choking label/2nd round mental barrier mind set. One gives the Pens absolute credit. The other doesn't. I'd prefer the latter, but that's not how I see it.

But that's just me.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They're clearly a lot better. Truth hurts.

Caps also clearly have a second round mental block because it doesn't matter who the opponent is, nor apparently who is surrounding the core of this team any given year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->