I admit, I was wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
avid_leaf_guy said:
What players were you wrong about now that you look back?

Name 1 guy that you were high on and 1 that you were down on.
High on but wrong... ouch there are so many. Recent ones that I spent top-5 picks on would include Malhotra and Lundmark. (Although there is still time... :) ). I guess I was wrong about Ribeiro and Ryder for the Habs too, but in a much better way! That's the kind of "wrong" I would prefer. :)

High on and bang on: hmm, Barret Jackman, Jonathan Cheechoo... wouldn't it be great if this list was as long as the other one. :propeller

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I was pretty down on Bertuzzi at the time of the trade to Vancouver. Always knew he had the talent, but didn't think he'd ever put it together.

On the flipside, I thought Isbister was going to turn into a consistent 30g power forward after his 22g in 64 games season. Kept waiting for that to happen, but by the time he was traded I was glad to see him go.

Kavliary2000

Nov 22, 2004
back in the day.....i was high on Peter Schastlivy ....lololol..thought he would be a Havlat type player.....my optimism was supported by some kind words from hockey analysts....

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Players that I was wrong about:

Stansilav Chistov (though he can still turn it around)
Denis Gauthier (though still good, not as offensive as I thought he would be)
Nick Boynton (I didn't think he would turn out as good as he is)

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I was really high on Tomas Slovak, and pissed when the Preds traded him...but it seems like maybe Poile knew something we didn't, since Slovak could barely hold an AHL spot and found himself bouncing back to the ECHL. Last I heard, he was thinking about going home.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
I always thought Nelson Emerson would be a consistent 30 goal man in the league, but it never happened. And I always thought Ed Belfour would be a flop...

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I always thought Rob Pearson was gonna be a star. Mind you, I was seven years old when he debuted in the NHL.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I was pissed the wings selected Kronwall. He was small, very small according to reports. Every one i read said like 175 or under, and that he was 5'11". After a few years, i'm still trying to choke down that crow.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Probably the Russians Kirill Safronov and Igor Knyazev. Very accomplished among their peers at a young age and smooth on the ice.

I was pretty excited by the Kiel McLeod signing as well but I never saw him play.

Wrong about Erik Westrum...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Sedins. Daniel for example scored 40+ points in 50 games in the SEL his draft year. Compare that with Anze Kopitar for example who had 0 points in 5 games or Peter Forsberg or Mats Sundin.

Whats both puzzling and interesting is that I can't really understand why they haven't developt more. They weren't extremely fast but both were 6´1-6´2 and 17-18 years old so one thought that certainly was something they would improve. Instead they have gained allot of weight on the upperbody and not improved their speed. They were also able to cheat some in the transition game in the SEL. It was the first year the redline was removed and it took some time for the defensemens to adopt. Something the Sedins were able to take advantage of. Still...

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Ola said:
The Sedins. Daniel for example scored 40+ points in 50 games in the SEL his draft year. Compare that with Anze Kopitar for example who had 0 points in 5 games or Peter Forsberg or Mats Sundin.

I'm not even getting into the Sedins aren't busts argument. It just baffles my mind how people can even say it if they actually look at the numbers.

Anyhow....I was very wrong about Petr Schastlivy, he's the big one that I was way off on. A second would be Evseev.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
maybe at the time of the draft, Ryan Kesler. Many Canuck fans wanted Tambellini or Stewart over him, but now looking back that was a heck of a draft pick as Kesler starred in the AHL and is a lock for the big league club.

His offensive upside is also vastly under-rated, he can become a 20-25 goal scorer in the future.

leafaholix*

jtuzzi21 said:
maybe at the time of the draft, Ryan Kesler. Many Canuck fans wanted Tambellini or Stewart over him, but now looking back that was a heck of a draft pick as Kesler starred in the AHL and is a lock for the big league club.

His offensive upside is also vastly under-rated, he can become a 20-25 goal scorer in the future.
tambellini is still a better talent than kesler.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
golleafsgo_17 said:
I was really high on Brendl

Same here, same with Beech, but that was my Hitmen bias at work mostly, I was a bit younger when they were stars here, I figured both would be perrenial All-Stars and laughed at Atlanta and Vancouver when they passed on him in the draft.

And because I was in my blindly patriotic phase around the time, I figured Ilya Kovalchuck would bust, just because of his antics against Canada at the WJCs. Nobody does that to Canada and gets away with it :madfire:

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
I'm not even getting into the Sedins aren't busts argument. It just baffles my mind how people can even say it if they actually look at the numbers.

Anyhow....I was very wrong about Petr Schastlivy, he's the big one that I was way off on. A second would be Evseev.

I don't get it either. There are many more guys in that 1999 draft that dissapointed. THe Sedins are good 2nd liners. That's better than most of the other 1999 draftees.

Kronwall is a guy I was pissed off when the Wings picked him. He looked like a little kid. 5'9" maybe. Although he hasn't played much in the NHL yet, he looks like he'll be a good player. Awesome hitter for his size. Just ask Joe Thornton.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
avid_leaf_guy said:
tambellini is still a better talent than kesler.

*shrug* I'd rather have Kesler. I'd have a tough time being convinced that there is much between those two guys.

A Good Flying Bird*

kmad said:
I always thought Rob Pearson was gonna be a star. Mind you, I was seven years old when he debuted in the NHL.

Funny.

I remember thinking Keith Acton was going to be the next Guy Lafleur.

Some other guys that never panned out:

Ryan Walter started well, but faded froma a dangerous 1st liner into a good checking line guy.

Steve Penny ... Canadiens goalie who had a great rookie playoff run, ala Ken Dryden ,,, then disappeared.

Kjel Dahlin ... thought he'd be the next Mats Naslund after a 71 point rookie campaign. But he disappeared fast.

Gaston Gingras ... One of the hardest slap shots ever ... but couldn't quite stick.

Anders Eriksson --- People forget that Eriksson took a regular shift, basically as a rookie, for Bowman's Stanely Cup champion Red Wings.
Good size. Good passing skills. Decent skater. Strong. But he left Detroit in the Chelios trade and his development just stopped.

Johan Garpenlov ... had a good rookie year for the wings, but never seemed to get any better.

Jimmy Carson - scored 100 points or more in his second and third season, and then faded fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad