Proposal: Hypothetical Rebuild 3: Forwards + UFAs

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
But if you were the GM what would you do?

I'd sign Helm if he takes a hometown discount, say, 2 mil a year for two years?
Miller depends entirely on how he is doing in the summer. If he's healthy, i'd do 1 or 1.5 mill for 2 or 3 years.
Richards goes elsewhere unless one of D or Z ends up on LTIR come.July 1st.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Re-sign Helm and trade all Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco and Pulkkinen at next draft.

Would mind at all if that non-scoring secondary "scoring" is replaced with five Dan Cleary -clones.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'd sign Helm if he takes a hometown discount, say, 2 mil a year for two years?
Miller depends entirely on how he is doing in the summer. If he's healthy, i'd do 1 or 1.5 mill for 2 or 3 years.
Richards goes elsewhere unless one of D or Z ends up on LTIR come.July 1st.

Signing Miller for 2 or 3 years makes it one of the worst contracts on the team

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Z, Pavs, Larkin, AA, Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, Gator, Sheahan, Jurco, and Glendening are 11 players who should be on the team next year.

Either Pulkkinen gets another shot next season or he's traded this offseason. I could see Frk replacing him if that happens. Maybe Bertuzzi or a cheap FA make up the numbers.

Essentially AA replaces Helm permanently, Mantha replaces Richards (not exactly the same role, but still). Maybe Tangradi gets a chance at a 4th line role.

I see this year and next as a transition from Z and D to whoever is up to the task in replacing them. Gus and Tatar aren't exactly meeting those expectations. Larkin is the only one that could potentially provide some relief, but someone else needs to step up. Either that's in our current prospects pool (Mantha the most likely), through our next few drafts or acquiring a current NHL'er. That's in order of likelihood too.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I am all for the likes of Frk, Bertuzzi, Mantha, and Tangradi to be full timers at this point. Let the likes of Helm, Franzen, and Richards go, and give these kids a real opportunity to inject some life into this lethargic group.

As some have said, I do like Miller on the PK, so I voted to keep him.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I would take Helm on a hometown discount and would let the other two walk.
If he doesn't take one, let all three walk and try to find at least one bigger, more physical forward in free agency.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I am all for the likes of Frk, Bertuzzi, Mantha, and Tangradi to be full timers at this point. Let the likes of Helm, Franzen, and Richards go, and give these kids a real opportunity to inject some life into this lethargic group.

As some have said, I do like Miller on the PK, so I voted to keep him.

Have you watched any of these guys actually play?

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I like all of them, actually, but they're easily-replaceable so let them all go. I want to see what we have in the minors and what we can land from free agency/trades.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Helm needs to go. We already have speed players and the younger ones can score. We need someone who plays big and can set screens.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Helm - If he were to accept a contract that pays him like a bottom-6er, then I'd be ok with him staying, and being a regular 4th-liner. However, I don't expect him to do that, I think he'll want more than I'd be willing to pay him, in which case let him walk.

Richards - Let him walk because obviously.

Miller - Re-sign. Easy call. He's a vet, a top PKer, he'll be cheap, and he's a guy you can drop to the pressbox if he's not playing up to snuff and you want to work in a younger guy.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
We need someone new in the bottom 6. We just accepted Glendening like he's the best thing but he's not that strong and not that effective in his physicality. He's pretty vanilla. I'd try to find a new veteran face for the 3rd/4th line that is actually physical or at least a big body. Matthias? McGinn? Matt Martin?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
We need someone new in the bottom 6. We just accepted Glendening like he's the best thing but he's not that strong and not that effective in his physicality. He's pretty vanilla. I'd try to find a new veteran face for the 3rd/4th line that is actually physical or at least a big body. Matthias? McGinn? Matt Martin?

Glendening is Cheap though.

Any of those names are going to be "highest paid" 4th liners in the league type deals.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
With Mantha up, and if he turns into an actual offensive threat, he brings us closer to getting back to a top-9 with offense and a 4th line that can grind, match-up, and kill penalties (rather than what we have now, which is a much more delineated top-6/bottom-6).

Hank
Dats
Larkin
Abdelkader
Nyquist
Tatar
Athanasiou
Mantha

That's 8. If Sheahan can re-establish himself, or if Jurco can take another step in his development, then you've got 3 lines with offensive ability. And the other of those two guys can adequately join the 4th line with Glendening and Miller (if Helm is re-signed, then you've got welcome competition, and maybe one of Sheahan/Jurco become more expendable).

My not mentioning Pulkkinen until this point was intentional. I don't view him as NHL-caliber at this point, and have serious doubts that he ever will be. While he rotates with Jurco these days, I think Jurco is a level above him in terms of value. I'll go with him over Pulks every time.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Richards: gone

Helm: If he was willing to take a bit of a pay cut, I'd consider bringing him back. Although we have other players with his type of speed and better finishing abilities. I wouldnt overpay to bring him back, but if he really wants back at a bit of a discount then I'd do it.

Miller: Give him 1 year, 1.5. Solid depth guy, good PKer. I don't think Bertuzzi or Frk or Nosek would be ready for a full time spot. Although I could see 1 or 2 of them being the 13/14 forward. I wouldn't mind testing Frk out. He's had a roller coaster career so far, that was on an upswing this season, so I would hate to lose him for nothing.

Tatar-Datsyuk-Larkin
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader
Athanasiou-Sheahan-Mantha
Miller-Glendening-Jurco
Frk Nosek (or Frk and a cheap, big, depth UFA)

Franzen: LTIR
Pulkkinen: traded for whatever we can get. I don't want him around anymore.

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
With Mantha up, and if he turns into an actual offensive threat, he brings us closer to getting back to a top-9 with offense and a 4th line that can grind, match-up, and kill penalties (rather than what we have now, which is a much more delineated top-6/bottom-6).

Hank
Dats
Larkin
Abdelkader
Nyquist
Tatar
Athanasiou
Mantha

That's 8. If Sheahan can re-establish himself, or if Jurco can take another step in his development, then you've got 3 lines with offensive ability. And the other of those two guys can adequately join the 4th line with Glendening and Miller (if Helm is re-signed, then you've got welcome competition, and maybe one of Sheahan/Jurco become more expendable).

My not mentioning Pulkkinen until this point was intentional. I don't view him as NHL-caliber at this point, and have serious doubts that he ever will be. While he rotates with Jurco these days, I think Jurco is a level above him in terms of value. I'll go with him over Pulks every time.

I think they need him as #3C and he should rebound offensively & defensively with consistent linemates, but I'd like to see what he could do on the wing.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I would dump all 3. Helm is a good player, but he is not going to age well, and he is never going to be a legit top 9 player. He simply doesn't have hands, at best he has one Draper esque year. Richards is done, and wasn't needed this year. Miller is good depth and a solid PKer, but we have younger cheaper guys that can take the roll.

Abby-Larkin-Z (I'd like to see Larks transition to center if possible)
Mantha-Dats-Tatar (Give Mantha a real playmaker to play with, and see what he does)
Nyquist-AA-Sheahan (I'm fine with Sheahan and AA splitting center duties, need to see if one of them looks like he could be a legit 2nd line center, hope Nyquist rebounds)
Cally-Glenny-Jurco (Cally and Glenny give us a good agitating presence, and Jurco adds some skill and hopefully has a fully healed back)

I'm also very pro dealing one of Sheahan, Tats, Nyquist, and or Jurco for a defensive upgrade. Pulu should be deal period, as I simply don't see a spot for him, even if Nyquist or Tats are dealt. We can always sign a 4th liner and bring in a bit more grit. I think our 4th line has lost its identity since Abby/Helm are no longer on it.

Larks, Sheahan, Jurco, AA, Abby, Glenny, Cally would provide solid PK options.

Plenty of forward units for the PP.

Defense is more of a mess.

DD-Green
Kronwall-Trade
Ericsson-Marchenko
Oulette

We probably lose one of Jensen, Frk, Sproul to waivers, but I don't think any of them have a future with the Wings.

Howard has to be dealt somehow. The longer he sits as a backup the worse he is going to look on that contract. Honestly throwing him in net for the rest of the season, and hoping he looks like a starter, would probably be our best bet long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad