Hypothetical Olympics and Canada's Goaltending

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
One thing that's really interested me since the 2002 Olympics is the controversy between the pipes for Canada and who should start in net. Joseph or Brouder in 2002. Brouder or Luongo in 2006. Brodeur or Luongo in 2010. Luongo or Price in 2014. Well, as we all know we're not getting any of that good Olympic best-on-best hockey this coming February 2018, unfortunately. But I would still like to ask the question for fun. Who would be the front runner for starting goalie for Canada at this point in time? Is it Price? Holtby maybe? Or possibly somebody else?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I can't see how it wouldn't be Price, despite his poor start. Won in '14 and was the unquestioned starter in the World Cup despite coming off injury. Still widely regarded as the best in the game. I think there'd only be a question if he was still having a bad season leading up to the games. Of course, like any year, the backup likely gets an early start and there might be a short leash for the starter if he has a bad game. Holtby and Murray would be the backups one would think. Don't see much argument otherwise.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Price and Holtby would have been 1-2 in net for Canada had the NHL had gone to the Olympics this year. Price as #1, Holtby as #2.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
One thing that's really interested me since the 2002 Olympics is the controversy between the pipes for Canada and who should start in net. Joseph or Brouder in 2002. Brouder or Luongo in 2006. Brodeur or Luongo in 2010. Luongo or Price in 2014. Well, as we all know we're not getting any of that good Olympic best-on-best hockey this coming February 2018, unfortunately. But I would still like to ask the question for fun. Who would be the front runner for starting goalie for Canada at this point in time? Is it Price? Holtby maybe? Or possibly somebody else?

I don't think that there was any controversy in 2006 or 2014. In 2006 Brodeur was the established starter by that point and was near his peak. In 2014 they clearly preferred Price, at least among the coaching staff. Luongo received a token game and pitched a shutout but still didn't get another look.

In 2018 I would expect Price. Canada likes to stick with its proven starter as long as he is still in his prime. Add in that Holtby has done nothing internationally and I doubt that he would be seriously considered for the top spot unless something really bad happens with Price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->