Hypothetical: D1 champion vs ECHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
I'm curious in consensus opinion. Who would be the likely winner in a best of 7 between the worst team in the ECHL and the best NCAA D1 team?

I'm assuming the ECHL team wins the majority of the time.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I don't think you're going to find a consensus opinion on this.

I think an NCAA Division I team, even a national champion, is going to have a wider talent gap from top line to fourth line, first pair to seventh D, and starting tendy to the guy who never gets in games.

Fourth line/third pair/backup goalies in the ECHL are generally far better than the guys occupying that spot on the depth chart in college.

But put an NCAA Champion against the worst team in the ECHL, and they'd handily win a best-of-seven series.

The teams that are at the bottom of the ECHL generally have bad coaches, coaches who can't recruit, guys who are a problem in the room, or all three.

An NCAA champion has more top end talent and doesn't have those problems.

Reactions: Amazinmets73

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I'm curious in consensus opinion. Who would be the likely winner in a best of 7 between the worst team in the ECHL and the best NCAA D1 team? ...
My standard answer to this question (which comes up often in minor pro & college hockey chat forums) is that *IF* the competing ECHL team focuses on physical play, they will intimidate & wear down a university-level opponent in a multi-game series despite any skills advantage the top-flight D1 team may have.

Reactions: Amazinmets73

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
My standard answer to this question (which comes up often in minor pro & college hockey chat forums) is that *IF* the competing ECHL team focuses on physical play, they will intimidate & wear down a university-level opponent in a multi-game series despite any skills advantage the top-flight D1 team may have.

Alabama-Huntsville, then a Division II team, played an exhibition against the ECHL's Huntsville Blast. The Blast played like an ECHL team of that era. UAH threw in the towel and refused to continue during the second period, if memory serves.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Alabama-Huntsville, then a Division II team, played an exhibition against the ECHL's Huntsville Blast. The Blast played like an ECHL team of that era. UAH threw in the towel and refused to continue during the second period, if memory serves.
Which year?

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
That's what I was thinking. Experience as well. I might take the 26 year old ECHL vet in a high-pressure situation as opposed to the higher skilled 20 year old D1 player.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
That's what I was thinking. Experience as well. I might take the 26 year old ECHL vet in a high-pressure situation as opposed to the higher skilled 20 year old D1 player.

There are plenty of 24, 25 and even 26 year olds playing Division I these days. Not to mention the fact that those older guys often played in some of the rougher Tier II Jr. 'A' leagues in Canada.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
There are plenty of 24, 25 and even 26 year olds playing Division I these days. Not to mention the fact that those older guys often played in some of the rougher Tier II Jr. 'A' leagues in Canada.
Fair. So, let's assume the Heartlanders are the worst ECHL team. They have an average age of 24.3 vs 21.3 for Umass, the '21 D1 champs.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I mean, I think if you put that UMass team that won the championship in April '21 up against the worst ECHL team of April '21 and played the game in April 2021, it wouldn't be much of a series. Shitty ECHL teams just want the season to be over in April. The top college players are trying to show their skills and move on.

There's a difference in the game between college and the ECHL with regard to physicality and how games are officiated. It's really hard to gauge how that difference would affect a game between a team from each level. But the top-end talent of UMass-Amherst coming off an NCAA championship is way above the top end talent of an ECHL bottom feeder. The game would hinge on whether the ECHL team could defend the top line, how good the respective goaltending was, and how good the UMass fourth line is relative to their ECHL counterparts. If you're playing with ECHL lineup rules where you can only dress 17 and two goalies, that fourth line becomes less of a factor.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
I mean, I think if you put that UMass team that won the championship in April '21 up against the worst ECHL team of April '21 and played the game in April 2021, it wouldn't be much of a series. Shitty ECHL teams just want the season to be over in April. The top college players are trying to show their skills and move on.

There's a difference in the game between college and the ECHL with regard to physicality and how games are officiated. It's really hard to gauge how that difference would affect a game between a team from each level. But the top-end talent of UMass-Amherst coming off an NCAA championship is way above the top end talent of an ECHL bottom feeder. The game would hinge on whether the ECHL team could defend the top line, how good the respective goaltending was, and how good the UMass fourth line is relative to their ECHL counterparts. If you're playing with ECHL lineup rules where you can only dress 17 and two goalies, that fourth line becomes less of a factor.
So, let's say there's a financial incentive. 250k to the winner to be divided evenly amongst the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad