Proposal: Hypothetical cap saving measure.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Just curious if this has been covered in the CBA or if the league would jump on it being against the spirit of the salary cap and/or cap circumvention. It is, but at the same time, I don't see it circumventing the cap anymore than dumping various contracts in the minors, buying out players, or taking on LTIR/retired contracts.

Two teams make a trade, Team A and Team B, one has a player with a higher salary than they'd like, but still would like to retain his services. Name him Player X.

Hypothetically example, picks are just used as example return for retaining salary.

Trade 1
From Team A to Team B: Player X
From Team B to Team A: Team B pick or throwaway asset

Trade 2
From Team B to Team A: Player X (salary retained)
From Team A to Team B: Actual asset/pick (+ possibly original asset in trade 1)

Overall/Actual trade beyond paper work
Team A: Player X at a a portion of his cap hit
Team B: Retains portion of player X cap hit, an actual asset/pick

tl;dr: Basically Team A pays a draft pick or asset for Team B to take a portion of Player X's cap hit.

If Player X is still a useful player, he doesn't need to get bought out, and doesn't need to change addresses. IMO, Teams are basically doing this now, but need to move other players/make roster moves to make this happen.

Obviously if Team A just wants to get rid of player X, then by all means, move him. I'm only putting this as an option for a team to retain a player that may be slightly overpaid, instead of straight up moving him to a bottom feeder trying to reach cap floor, he can still stay on his current team.

Side note: Yes, I know this can be abused; like with any system. Just throwing it out as an idea.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not allowed. Teams cannot re-acquire a player in a retained salary transaction that was on their roster/reserve list in the calendar year prior. E.g. player X in your example.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If I'm following you....player is traded to a team then traded back with salary retained within a year of the fist trade IS Cap Circumvention.

This was talked about ad nausium when team had CBOs where player was traded to another team, they bought him out then he resigns with the original team. With this were trades like these.

A trade that is a legal trade is if you trade player X from team A to team B thru team C where team C retains some salary and gets back a pick or prospect for their retention.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I can't be the only one who does this so many times in NHL 16 GM mode, can I?

Sign Tavares to an 8 year extension for 80 million. Trade him to CAR for a pile of assets. Trade the pile of assets ++ for Tavares at 50%.

Essentially trade whatever the ++ is for 5M a year in cap space.

But no, as has been said above, you can't actually do it IRL.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
In the same idea.

Team 1 can sign player X as a UFA, then turn around and trade him to Team B @ %50 for something of value

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Ladies

There is a flaw to everything in this thread. This is not a Pronger or dats trade where team b actually pas the player nothing... Team B would be paying the player money. Unless it is a whole lotra sugar no team does it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad