Huselius, Lilja and Tallinder to be suspended through 2006 Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH74

Jul 24, 2004
SectionX said:
The Swedish Hockey Federation is ruining our chances. :madfire:

I hope you are sarcastic, if not you are selfish and kinda immoral. I really praise the swedish hockey federation for their decision. They won't tolerate gangbang on national assignement, **** or not. I'm canadian and I would have the same reaction if team canada would suspend let's say Redden, Thornton and Nash for the same reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Innocent until proven guilty, anyone? Dany Heatley's pending trial did not prevent him from playing in last years World Championships or World Cup. Still, the Swedish Hockey Federation is a tough position. They were going to catch some flak no matter what they did.

Badger Bob

Westlander said:
They were going to catch some flak no matter what they did.

It comes with the territory. An intrepid female Swedish journalist instigated a campaign over Ulf Sameulsson's citizenship during the Nagano Olympics. He was subsequently removed from the team. A fan wrote to her that, due to her actions, it was too bad that Sweden had already ended the death penalty!

#2eddieshore

May 29, 2005
Westlander said:
Innocent until proven guilty, anyone? .

I think they have been suspended for doing stuff they shoudn't have being team wise rather than anything to do with the law.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
go kim johnsson said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=126663

I think this is pretty significant since Norstrom and Ragnarsson (I think) both retired from the national team. Maybe the Swedish Hockey Federation can convince to get one more year from other guys.

Actually I don't see either Lilja nor Tallinder take a spot on a swedish Olympic Team, if NHLers are to participate. Mattias Norström and Marcus Ragnarsson have probably retired from the national team, but Norström is by far the one who will be missed most.

Now our defense looks something like this:

Nicklas Lidström - Niklas Kronwall
Christian Bäckman - Mattias Öhlund
Kim Johnsson - Daniel Tjärnqvist
Niclas Hävelid, Dick Tärnström

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Robertsson 4-ever said:
Nicklas Lidström - Niklas Kronwall
Christian Bäckman - Mattias Öhlund
Kim Johnsson - Daniel Tjärnqvist
Niclas Hävelid, Dick Tärnström

That's gonna be a bit sore.

KariyaIsGod*

You know, this sounds oddly enough a lot like a situation involving Mario lemiex and Dan Quinn a while back...

Interestingly though, they were never suspended by anyone for anything..

sehnsucht

Mar 10, 2004
I think they have been suspended for doing stuff they shoudn't have being team wise rather than anything to do with the law.

wouldn't a gangbang increase team unity? :dunno:

Morals are dependantly different for every person and these morals shouldn't be intruding into a game that has higher implications than individuals ideas of what's right and not right. As long as you don't break the law then you're fine in my books. Whatever floats your boat, group sex won't hurt how you play the game. Just hurting their own chances because of religious based morals. Enjoy yourself, Sweden

This individual situation is WAY overblown, it's a case of "the worst thing you did was get caught." You think some of your favorite players don't have pasts full of secret, sordid details? But these three are suddently demonized and ostracized because a woman wants publicity and cash out of a few millionare hockey players and they happen to have different tastes than you?

If it wasn't consensual then there's a problem but that's what trial is for and the trial was over before some special investigation brought it up again. Whatever happens in the bedroom has no implications on what happens on-ice and that's what matters because this is a game, not Victorian Morals class.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
sehnsucht said:
Morals are dependantly different for every person and these morals shouldn't be intruding into a game that has higher implications than individuals ideas of what's right and not right. As long as you don't break the law then you're fine in my books. Whatever floats your boat, group sex won't hurt how you play the game. Just hurting their own chances because of religious based morals. Enjoy yourself, Sweden.

I agree that the game has higher implications but it doesn't look like you have any clue what they are.

These events should be about sending fine representative of your country first and foremost. I think that's what Sweden is trying to accomplish with this ruling. I agree with you that morals are an individual thing.

But there are still implications for collectivities that must be taken into consideration. There has to be standards as they must represent ALL of Sweden and are exposed to ALL the world.

I can enjoy a flick that is spiced with a great deal of profanity for instance, but that doesn't mean it's ok for Theoren Fleury to do obscene gestures in front of crowds that may include children as well as people who might be offended by it.

You may not care what they do in a bedroom, but some people will. Sweden has decided these guys do not deserve the honor of representing their country.

sehnsucht said:
This individual situation is WAY overblown, it's a case of "the worst thing you did was get caught." You think some of your favorite players don't have pasts full of secret, sordid details? But these three are suddently demonized and ostracized because a woman wants publicity and cash out of a few millionare hockey players and they happen to have different tastes than you?

If it wasn't consensual then there's a problem but that's what trial is for and the trial was over before some special investigation brought it up again.

It's interesting that on one hand you say you don't know what happened but on the other you already made up your mind :sarcasm:

sehnsucht said:
Whatever happens in the bedroom has no implications on what happens on-ice and that's what matters because this is a game, not Victorian Morals class.

It's far from just being a game.

I know more and more people are jaded and see it that way but I am glad Sweden recognizes this is more than just a game.

I can tolerate the numerous criminals, cheaters and bums in the pro game but I think international events (especially adult) should be clear of that. It makes me want to puke when I see MacTavish involved in our National program in any way, shape or form.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
I suppose the obvious joke about Huselius being soft would be in bad taste.

Nevermind.

I think Vlad is dead-on in his comments. Overall, good for Sweden. At least until the prosecutor makes a final decision on the charges, these guys shouldn't be representing the country. I felt the same way about Todd Bertuzzi not being invited to the World Cup team whether he was eligible or not. World Cup and the Olympics should be about more than just winning, it should be an honor... and I don't think the guys involve should be awarded that honor until this is resolved. Whether professional leagues should be held to the same standard is an interesting question. You could make an argument either way, I think.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
oilers_guy_eddie said:
I think Vlad is dead-on in his comments. Overall, good for Sweden. At least until the prosecutor makes a final decision on the charges, these guys shouldn't be representing the country.
Shouldn't be it the other way around?
Again, 'Innocent until proven guilty' anyone?

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
Westlander said:
The charges have been dropped.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=127548

Is there any way the players can now appeal the suspension?
I dont think so, but if it where i dont think they will try it anyway.
The next big tournament is the olympics where none of the belong anyway.
They could crack the squad for the 2005 world champs
and it might be possible that the ban will be shortened for them to participate there..

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
It doesn't really matter if charges are dropped, the Swedish ice hockey federation was embarassed by what is not considered behavior defining good behavior. It doesn't matter if you think it's prudish, the general public is still alarmed by group sex. If you're gonna get it on with other guys in the room (hey, whatever you need to perform at your best), at least make damned sure it's consensual and the fourth party isn't going to go public.

BCCHL inactive

Good for the Swedish federation.

When you're on the road with your team, you are on their time, even when you are not on the ice, thus you must behave in whatever they consider to be an acceptable manner. If the Swedish federation does not consider group sex acceptable behaviour (which they obviously do not), then they have every right to suspend the guilty team members.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Do i ever wish this triumverate were Alfredsson, Lidstrom and Zetterberg. Then we would see how rough and tough the Swedish federation would be. I do not like this ruling one bit. Not much thought went in by Lilja , Huselius and Tallinder but if anyone here thinks this is the first bit of after hours shenanigans by professionals then they best open their eyes very , very wide.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Do i ever wish this triumverate were Alfredsson, Lidstrom and Zetterberg. Then we would see how rough and tough the Swedish federation would be. I do not like this ruling one bit. Not much thought went in by Lilja , Huselius and Tallinder but if anyone here thinks this is the first bit of after hours shenanigans by professionals then they best open their eyes very , very wide.

Discretion, my friend, is the better part of valour..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->