Waived: Hurricanes waive Marcus Kruger and Josh Jooris (cleared & assigned to AHL)

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I am not at liberty to say. :help:

9000670-3x2-940x627.jpg

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
He was AHL caliber when he left the Hawks and I haven't seen much of a difference in my viewings this year.

He's a shot sponge, but can't do much else. There's some value in that I suppose for a PK starved team, but he still has another year after this one at 3M+
Screams Oilers...but the contract tho...think he clears...wonder if the Canes would retain any salary on him if the Oilers sent back something.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Who is he playing with there? The whole situation seems strange to me. He never had a problem playing against 2nd lines before. Hell, the turning point in the 2015 Anaheim series was when his line started matching up with Kesler and Silfverberg. It just seems unrealistic that he fell off in one year.

Lately he's been on a line with Joakim Nordstrom and Lee Stempniak. Before Stempniak came back from injury it was often Brock McGinn.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
As an Avs fan I'd love for them to claim Kruger. Avs are currently by far the worst faceoff team in the NHL (44.4%. 2nd worst in the league is 47.2%). I think faceoff stats are a little overrated but you need somebody to be able to play situationally and take those draws when it matters. Also, Colorado has no cap issues whatsoever. They may even struggle to reach the floor next year. They're currently playing Dom Toninato in that 4th line centre role and he's doing a good job as a rookie but bringing in Kruger would allow Toni to develop a little better for the rest of the year in the AHL.

If anything faceoff stats are underrated.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If anything faceoff stats are underrated.
I disagree. I think it's important to have a couple of guys who can take them in key situations, but over the course of a season looking at a team's overall faceoff percentage means very little.

-Colorado were the second best faceoff team in the NHL last year. They were also the worst team the NHL has seen in like 25 years.
-Pittsburgh were the third worst faceoff team in the NHL last year. They won the Stanley Cup.
-Tampa Bay is the second worst faceoff team in the NHL this year. They are 1st in the NHL in points.
-Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Carolina are all currently top 10 NHL faceoff teams. All are in the bottom 10 in NHL standings.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I disagree. I think it's important to have a couple of guys who can take them in key situations, but over the course of a season looking at a team's overall faceoff percentage means very little.

-Colorado were the second best faceoff team in the NHL last year. They were also the worst team the NHL has seen in like 25 years.
-Pittsburgh were the third worst faceoff team in the NHL last year. They won the Stanley Cup.
-Tampa Bay is the second worst faceoff team in the NHL this year. They are 1st in the NHL in points.
-Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Carolina are all currently top 10 NHL faceoff teams. All are in the bottom 10 in NHL standings.

I agree with a teams overal FO% not meaning much beyond being a positive or negative. But as a fan of a team who used to suck at it I can say it’s beyond frustrating watching opponents get a guaranteed possession off the dot, it’s cost us games. And was a big factor in our playoff series against Boston.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I do agree faceoffs aren't as important as some people imply, but your post is a bit of a misleading post. Yes, if you have some of the best players in the world (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel - Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman) + good goaltending and good depth, face offs aren't that important. If you have shitty talent (Buffalo, Florida, Carolina), then obviously, face-offs aren't going to be the difference maker.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not a surprise. Krueger is likely going to be traded with some retention involved I'd imagine (Canes only have retention on Lack right now). Jooris isn't bad but he's replacement level. Likely going to finish the year in Charlotte then make a bit more then he would in the A in Europe next season.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Can't afford a 3 million dollar fourth liner. No one was taking that deal on without moving salary the other way.

True from a cap POV, so it depends on cap situation of a team. The reason Kruger was enticing to Carolina is they didn't care about the Cap, only real money. Kruger's actual salary this year (Chicago paid his bonus before the trade) was $1.475M. Next year, it's $2.3M, which is still high for what he brings.

I agree though. Would require salary coming back and/or retention, particularly for any team that has cap concerns next year.

Reactions: Unsustainable

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I wonder if Carolina would be open to retention at this point. I wouldn't mind adding Kruger if the Canes retained some salary. 25% or something would be fine.

To CAR:
Freddie Hamilton

To ARI:
Marcus Kruger (@75%)

Evens up the contract count, and makes the salary more palatable.

Frees AZ up to go find a new home for Brad Richardson. There are some teams in the hunt with major PK woes that should be happy to pony up some nice picks for Richardson.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Pretty sure we can get better then that if we're retaining 25% on Kruger. I'd rather have Marek Langhamer in all honesty with where the franchise is with goaltending, wouldn't mind having him be the #3 in the org next season.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad