Waived: Hurricanes waive Marcus Kruger and Josh Jooris (cleared & assigned to AHL)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How about Paul Martin for Markus Kruger straight up? Some veteran experience on the blue line even if it's just as an extra d-man may help?

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
He's not when compared to other centers on Carolina. It's just that the Canes take more offensive zone faceoffs as a whole.

555hc0.png

MP7XYX8H5
He's taking more O-zone starts than he has since 2012-13. Kruger's value to a team is his ability to take heavy D-zone starts and flip the ice. This year, he's taking the lowest percentage of D-zone starts of his career. It just confuses me why he would be acquired and not be played in the role that he's had consistent success in.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Is Kruger still Kruger? Or has he declined a bit, Canes fans?
He's a black hole on the ice, a place where all offense comes to die. Which is fine if the Canes could score enough on their other 3 lines, but they can't. Thankfully the Canes have a guy that's solid defensively in the minors that's just flat exponentially better offensively in Foegele, and Wallmark is pretty good defensively in his own right while also being vastly superior offensively.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
i love it when mods change their moods about players 6 posts after they say something bad about that player
Technically by definition 'moderator' is someone who takes something excessive and then literally makes it more moderate.

And obviously they have to see that you stay on your toes, to keep the fear alive.

We have to live with this daily at the F=26.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He's taking more O-zone starts than he has since 2012-13. Kruger's value to a team is his ability to take heavy D-zone starts and flip the ice. This year, he's taking the lowest percentage of D-zone starts of his career. It just confuses me why he would be acquired and not be played in the role that he's had consistent success in.

You're missing the point. Look at the graph vs. just focusing on the numbers vs. previous years. The Canes don't take many D zone starts overall because they are a strong possession team, so they can't just magically give Kruger more, because they don't exist. The main centers are Ryan, Rask (~65% Ozone starts), Staal (46%) and Kruger (47%). Staal is the best center and far superior to Kruger and will take the toughest assignments.

The Canes ARE playing him in the role he was acquired, he's just not being very good at doing that role.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the desire would be to cut down the salary obligation as much as possible, if the acquisition doesn't fill a need. There's nowhere for Martin to play atm.

I figured that could be the case. If the desire is to shed salary, I'm pretty sure the Sharks would be interested if salary is retained. I don't think the Canes will be able to move him without retention or a contract similar being returned. If the Canes retained 500k-50%, I'd probably move a draft pick like a 5th for him. Not sure what one may expect here though.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I figured that could be the case. If the desire is to shed salary, I'm pretty sure the Sharks would be interested if salary is retained. I don't think the Canes will be able to move him without retention or a contract similar being returned. If the Canes retained 500k-50%, I'd probably move a draft pick like a 5th for him. Not sure what one may expect here though.

I'd be content with Kruger 50% retained for a conditional 7th. That would be cheaper overall than a buyout.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Kruger reminds me another Swede... Anton Lander. All around average at everything. In the right situation (i.e Lander with Todd Nelson) they might find success.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
You're missing the point. Look at the graph vs. just focusing on the numbers vs. previous years. The Canes don't take many D zone starts overall because they are a strong possession team, so they can't just magically give Kruger more, because they don't exist. The main centers are Ryan, Rask (~65% Ozone starts), Staal (46%) and Kruger (47%). Staal is the best center and far superior to Kruger and will take the toughest assignments.

The Canes ARE playing him in the role he was acquired, he's just not being very good at doing that role.
Kruger never took the toughest assignments in Chicago, Toews did. Toews matched up with the top competition, but he always had 55% or higher O-zone starts. Chicago was most successful when Kruger was the only center under 50% O-zone starts. The idea is that he allows guys like Staal to play against top guys the majority of the time, but mostly in the O-zone. Carolina is giving Kruger D-zone starts, but only against low quality of competition. If you're looking for him to be more effective, he should be playing against some tougher competition.

Despite all this, I don't see what the issue with Kruger is outside of his contract. He has good possession numbers despite taking mostly D-zone starts, and the only numbers that look bad are his GF numbers, but he also has a PDO of 96%.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If you're looking for him to be more effective, he should be playing against some tougher competition.

Despite all this, I don't see what the issue with Kruger is outside of his contract. He has good possession numbers despite taking mostly D-zone starts, and the only numbers that look bad are his GF numbers, but he also has a PDO of 96%.

The problem with playing him against tougher competition is that every time the Canes moved him off the 4th line, his line would be hemmed in and scored on. He took a decent number of penalties because he couldn't keep up. Just a really "meh" player with zero offensive upside.

Jay McClement played his same role last year and he honestly did it much better. At 33 years old. A guy that didn't even get a contract.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Kruger never took the toughest assignments in Chicago, Toews did. Toews matched up with the top competition, but he always had 55% or higher O-zone starts. Chicago was most successful when Kruger was the only center under 50% O-zone starts. The idea is that he allows guys like Staal to play against top guys the majority of the time, but mostly in the O-zone. Carolina is giving Kruger D-zone starts, but only against low quality of competition. If you're looking for him to be more effective, he should be playing against some tougher competition..

When he played against tougher competition, he didn't do as advertised. He didn't "tilt the ice the other way", he just got hemmed in. The idea, when the Canes acquired him WAS that he'd free Staal up some, but his play didn't allow that. Don't think the Canes didn't want to use him more against better competition, but it hasn't worked out. They couldn't keep trying something that wasn't working.

Maybe he'll work out better with a better team around him somewhere else, but it certainly wasn't working out well here so far.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
When he played against tougher competition, he didn't do as advertised. He didn't "tilt the ice the other way", he just got hemmed in. The idea, when the Canes acquired him WAS that he'd free Staal up some, but his play didn't allow that. Don't think the Canes didn't want to use him more against better competition, but it hasn't worked out. They couldn't keep trying something that wasn't working.

Maybe he'll work out better with a better team around him somewhere else, but it certainly wasn't working out well here so far.
Who is he playing with there? The whole situation seems strange to me. He never had a problem playing against 2nd lines before. Hell, the turning point in the 2015 Anaheim series was when his line started matching up with Kesler and Silfverberg. It just seems unrealistic that he fell off in one year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->