Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
He needs at least a year or two in AHL. Very inconsistent play this year and he has been spending time on the 4th line and healthy scratched couple times. Has looked lazy and disinterested(stupid penaties, lazy defense etc) for half of the time and his skating seems to have gotten worse since last season. Some rumours of him being out of shape too.

Of course playing on one of the worst teams in the league and having couple of injuries might have got something to do with all this but overall just terrible season for him.

:help: Yeah, that's not what I was hoping to hear. I guess in a way it's kind of fitting considering how Eric played here in his last 3 seasons.

Thanks for the update though friend! :cheers:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
He needs at least a year or two in AHL. Very inconsistent play this year and he has been spending time on the 4th line and healthy scratched couple times. Has looked lazy and disinterested(stupid penaties, lazy defense etc) for half of the time and his skating seems to have gotten worse since last season. Some rumours of him being out of shape too.

Of course playing on one of the worst teams in the league and having couple of injuries might have got something to do with all this but overall just terrible season for him.

Head case. Attitude issue. Only interested when puck is played to his stick in full stride. Those are words Lukko fans describe his play right now. He's listed as 13th forward today and another kid from his (and my) hometown, Jere Friberg, is centering the second line. He's less talented but much harder working than Saarela.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Head case. Attitude issue. Only interested when puck is played to his stick in full stride. Those are words Lukko fans describe his play right now. He's listed as 13th forward today and another kid from his (and my) hometown, Jere Friberg, is centering the second line. He's less talented but much harder working than Saarela.

Are these recent developments or something he's been known for?

Reactions: Roboturner913

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Gauthier had more goals. Nash also got to play on the most prestigious CHL franchise, and played with some guy named Corey Perry.

And Gauthier played in the Q where it's a higher scoring league in general. Also Nash had more goals in the NHL in his draft +1 year than Gauthier does right now. Not to mention that Perry was 16 at the time and London sucked. That's like saying someone who played for the Red Wings in the 80s played for a prestigious franchise so they must have had some kind of advantage.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
And Gauthier played in the Q where it's a higher scoring league in general. Also Nash had more goals in the NHL in his draft +1 year than Gauthier does right now. Not to mention that Perry was 16 at the time and London sucked. That's like saying someone who played for the Red Wings in the 80s played for a prestigious franchise so they must have had some kind of advantage.

Either way, my point is the two players were not far apart in scoring. I think Gauthier's abilities will translate well to the NHL, but it remains to be seen if it will be Nash-like. But the way he plays is similar to Nash, so the comparison is fair.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Lucas Wallmark with two goals Saturday in Charlotte's 6-1 shellacking of Cleveland. Also, Bickell picks ip an assist in about 10 minutes of play.

One's gotta think we'll see Wallmark in Raleigh for at least a brief audition.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Lucas Wallmark with two goals Saturday in Charlotte's 6-1 shellacking of Cleveland. Also, Bickell picks ip an assist in about 10 minutes of play.

One's gotta think we'll see Wallmark in Raleigh for at least a brief audition.

When we do, I hope it's a similar opportunity that we gave Ryan. I would like to see what he can do in an offensive situation if we're going to bother. If we're going to jam him on the 4th line and expect him to be Jay McClement we might as well play Jay McClement.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
When we do, I hope it's a similar opportunity that we gave Ryan. I would like to see what he can do in an offensive situation if we're going to bother. If we're going to jam him on the 4th line and expect him to be Jay McClement we might as well play Jay McClement.

It would be interesting to see if he can handle the 3C role I stil like TT as an RW better and think he should be coached up in that role. It would be interesting if any of McGinn, PDG, or even Stalberg could play on the left side of that line.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Not very flattering comments about Saarela on the main prospects board. Playing 4th line, scratches, attitude issues, complaining to the media, complaining about his coach, not wanting to play defense, etc. Doesn't sound promising.

Sounds to me like he needs a complete change of scenery. I hope he can come over here to the AHL full time next year. This past year has been a complete throw away for him.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don't suppose hanifin can be sent down for the AHL playoffs too?

I think anyone who could be eligible for the AHL playoffs has to be on the AHL roster today at the deadline. We did that last year with Noah and one other player if I remember correctly, but I think with the team actually traveling and playing today, that probably won't happen.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Not very flattering comments about Saarela on the main prospects board. Playing 4th line, scratches, attitude issues, complaining to the media, complaining about his coach, not wanting to play defense, etc. Doesn't sound promising.

Sounds like the Jeff Carter in Columbus story. Doesn't really change how good or bad he is as a player. Probably should get out of that ugly environment though.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Saarela with two goals today and two assists in the previous game after being a healthy scratch/13th forward in the last couple of games before that.

Looks like his team won't make the playoffs barring a miracle so he could play in AHL for the rest of the season. Regular season in Finland ends next Monday so he could play 10-15 games with Charlotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad