Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Discussion & Update (part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
McKeown responds to the trade with a 1g, 1a - 2 point game last night.

According to the prospect board he has really honed in on the defensive side of things this year. Funny considering Haydn Fleury has had the exact same things said about him as they both have down offensive seasons.

A lot to like in the pair though. Good size, elite skating ability, positional game... Both should carve out top-4 roles in the NHL.

Dec 30, 2013
Annual? Wasn't he only called up 1 time (12-13 season) in his 5 seasons in the Carolina organization? Not saying he won't be called up, but it's not been a regular thing (unless I'm missing something).

Did he not get called up at the end of last season as well? I may be misremembering

Edit: Yeah, I was misremembering. You're right, not sure why I was thinking he got called up last year as well

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I haven't watched the Checkers or followed them at all this year. Other than LaRose being their leading scorer, have any of those guys even shown that they deserve a callup? Even without Sekera and Tlusty, the Canes still have Terry as a 13th forward on the squad and Murphy (when he's back from injury) makes 7 defensemen.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I am really not worried about Murphy's development. He still looks as good as when we drafted him, small PMD take time.

Think he will follow the path of Ryan Ellis, only better. His AHL numbers are encouraging. Just needs more time to adapt to the Pros.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
McGinn should be given a look. He's got 5 goals in his past 5 games.

Did someone say Brock?

11001879_10153019482550709_466308205890239200_n.jpg

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Probably #2, but only just ahead of Carrick, Pesce, or Slavin. I think McKeown has a higher upside then any of our dmen outside Fleury and Faulk, but the other 3 are, obviously since they're older, more established and polished prospects.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Still think Carrick has the best chance of making it out of the second tier. He has a skill others lack with that shot. It's one skill we so rarely possess on the pp.

Side note, if we aren't doing a full rebuild it wouldn't surprise me if we pick up wiz from cbus for next season for this same skill.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wouldn't surprise me at all. Former Vellucci player (AKA: Former Plymouth Whaler), right side of the mid-30s. Coming off a somewhat down year for him so he may be one of the better bang for the buck options this year instead of free agency. He's not as good as Sekera but he's not bad either, could be a good #2 guy to Faulk's #1 for 2-3 years until our kids are ready.

edit: no idea why I thought Wiz was a UFA. He'd have 2 years left on his contract, much like Sekera when we got him.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
yeah the price likely isn't too high, probably not higher than what we paid for sekera in the first place. bet we didn't make his no go list, sounds like he made it so he couldn't go to contenders that could actually use him and would make an offer.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Agree, I said the same thing a week ago. He's on a nice declining contract as well.

If Columbus was looking to cut salary and we could get him for a reduced cost it could be a good Sekera-ish investment. He tows the line until the prospects are ready. If they are still out of the Playoffs the Canes can then trade him for a 1st+ as a rental in two seasons.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Let's worry about increasing Liles trade value before adding another bad contract to the books. Is that even possible?

I want to see sMurphy finally step up.

How's Pitkanen doing?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I like Liles, it's a matter of expectation I suppose. We will need live bodies after the deadline/season, and Wiz is a top pairing guy for us. Wound't be a cap buster per se, either. He's on a declining deal just like sekera, as mentioned before and 5 mill for a top pairing isn't too much. Three years left and he's been productive.

Make that two years and the total remaining is 8 mill.

He's a JR dream come true.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
At what cost though? It doesn't make a lot of sense to mortgage the future for him. A couple of years ago, it did for Sekera, but now Faulk is ready to carry most of the load himself as the top pairing defenseman. We're scraping the barrel as is but he might be able to find the chemistry with Murphy, Liles, Hainsey, or a resigned Gleason. Btw, I would rather have Wisniewski than Gleason. If not, then this is probably good for Faulk's development. I wouldn't be opposed to it if the price is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad