Hurricanes Lounge XXVII: BURN THE NEW SERVERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I went to both of my ncsu graduations, and it was all a big bla bla bla. the undergrad one was in 2003, and **** Phil Donahue was the commencement speaker. he went on and on about the iraq war and all the great things about "being a liberal." this was in 2003, I remind you. many people stormed out, flinging off their robes and mortarboards, it was ridiculous and yet I felt the strange urge to chant "JER-RY JER-RY".

the grad one had Ken Burns as the commencement speaker and despite literally being awarded a film masters, his speech was a total snoozefest to me.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I have a confession to make - I regularly cheat at Yahtzee.

My girlfriend is so preoccupied on her phone that I continuously roll over and over until I get what I want, sometimes up to ten times in a row without her noticing. I’ll also simply change the dice on the table to what I want other times.

My reasoning is that if she can’t be bothered to pay attention it’s no t my problem. I crushed her in three straight games on the weekend and she didn’t clue in or find it strange that I was regularly getting such high scores.

Am I a bad person?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

My girlfriend is so preoccupied on her phone that I continuously roll over and over until I get what I want, sometimes up to ten times in a row without her noticing. I’ll also simply change the dice on the table to what I want other times.

My reasoning is that if she can’t be bothered to pay attention it’s no t my problem. I crushed her in three straight games on the weekend and she didn’t clue in or find it strange that I was regularly getting such high scores.

Am I a bad person?

Why do you want to win at Yahtzee so much? Seek therapy.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
honestly the most brutal yahtzee rolls are the most fun, who wants an easy one where you're lobbing dozens of '-er' '-ers' 'ed' combos into the gaping maw of a notepad.
edit: just going to leave this stupid thing up to show that I confused yahtzee with boggle for some reason.

This is fantastic. You glorious idiot.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
As my stuff I bought a 172-piece socket set. I'm feverishly waiting for it to arrive. I did plenty of comparison beforehand.

You can never have too much tools. Especially socket sets.

I think I have more socket sets than my GF has shoepairs, or at least it's close. (Yes, I do use them too. Socket sets, I mean. GF's shoes not that much, once a week tops.)

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I bought a new car about 4 years ago. I had a few tools up to that point - mainly your basic screwdrivers, hammers, and so on. Things that a renter would find useful, but it was no great investment.

My automotive tool collection exploded after the new car came along. Sockets, ratchets, torque wrenches, basically everything you need to do the basic maintenance found its way into my apartment's garage within a few months. After that, I thought I had a pretty good tool collection.

Then I bought a house that had been neglected and discovered a whole new world of air and power tools waiting for me. That was when I started spending real money on this stuff.

The damage is easily in the thousands, but it's a fraction of what it would be if I had just hired people to do all the projects I've done since we moved in.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Do you have any major power tools that you have never used? I have a couple of them and that's when you know you have a problem.
Not yet. I'm still in the stage of buying tools as the need arises. There have been some that I picked up on sale, only to sit in the box for a while, but they were the kind of thing I was absolutely sure I'd use someday. I think I've put all of them to work at this point.

I'm sure the day will come.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not yet. I'm still in the stage of buying tools as the need arises. There have been some that I picked up on sale, only to sit in the box for a while. But they were the kind of thing I was absolutely sure I'd use someday and I think I've used everything I have at this point.

I'm sure the day will come.

One of mine is a wet grinder / polisher. My wife wanted me to make some concrete tops for some cast iron table stands we had. I read up on it, watched a bunch of videos, bought the grinder, etc... and then a couple months later she changed her mind and it was too late to return. Haven't even powered the damn thing on and it sits in my garage. I probably should have sold it, but I thought it was something I might want to try later on so I kept it.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Do you have any major power tools that you have never used? I have a couple of them and that's when you know you have a problem.
Counterpoint: you really hit the wall in your delvings if you *don't* have the tool. I had just broken and lost my ratchet and misplaced rest of the stuff in my trusty basic 25 euro set that I bought ~15 years ago, and that's when the Sprinter water pump gave up on my own yard.

Took me days, mainly because after every loosened bolt there came up some weirdo Torx size next, or a tight spot which my pitiful assortment of tools couldn't manage.

The pump itself was attached with E-torx bolts. The tool shop guy knew exactly what he did when he sold me the set of sockets by BGS, a German not-low-end brand. Now I look at Ampros, Boxos and Kamasa Toolses and scoff at the cheap stuff, the sort that served me extremely well for the past fifteen years (and counting, except the ratchet).

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Am I a bad person?

You run the risk that she knows exactly what you are doing, and will bring it up in the middle of an argument you are on the right side of.

Something to the effect of “at least I don’t cheat at f***ing Yahtzee you sociopath!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad