Hurricanes Lounge XXVII: BURN THE NEW SERVERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2013
Curious, any of you ever tried becoming a vegetarian? Or at the very least limiting yourself to eating one or two helpings of meat/poultry/fish a week or so? How long until you couldn't take it anymore and gave in?

Effectively yes, but not out of any desire to be vegetarian or eat less meat. I was looking to save as much money as possible, eat at least mildly healthy, and annoy my doctor (who was of the statistically unsupported mindset that eating eggs raises bad cholesterol.) For about three months I lived off of very little aside from eggs, lentils, rice, and self-caught Spanish Mackerel. One surprise flounder made its way into my belly as well. How it ended: It became too cold for the Spanish Mackerel. End result: Bad cholesterol didn't increase at all, I didn't eat eggs for close to a year, and I saved quite a bit on groceries.

I'd rather not do it again.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I saw something on TV about the treatment of farm animals (Chickens especially) across the country that really struck me in the heart. I get that raising animals for human consumption isn't all that humane, but seeing the conditions they were in frankly made me want to puke. It will definitely get me to do more research on who is and isn't at least giving their animals a little more freedom rather than stuffing them in cages where they can't move.

That, and I need to lose some weight anyways :laugh:

Dec 30, 2013
I saw something on TV about the treatment of farm animals (Chickens especially) across the country that really struck me in the heart. I get that raising animals for human consumption isn't all that humane, but seeing the conditions they were in frankly made me want to puke. It will definitely get me to do more research on who is and isn't at least giving their animals a little more freedom rather than stuffing them in cages where they can't move.

That, and I need to lose some weight anyways :laugh:

That I can definitely understand. Hopefully in the next few years lab-grown meat can be successfully commercialized to avoid the ethical issues of the meat industry.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I have cut down my meat consumption pretty significantly in the last 7 or so years. I still eat it on a weekly basis but I've developed meals and ways to cook without using meat that are still delicious, filling, and satisfying. not sure it's had any affect on my health, but it's nice to go to a restaurant and be able to evaluate the veggie options for whether or not they are tasty, and feel good about eating them.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I have cut down my meat consumption pretty significantly in the last 7 or so years. I still eat it on a weekly basis but I've developed meals and ways to cook without using meat that are still delicious, filling, and satisfying. not sure it's had any affect on my health, but it's nice to go to a restaurant and be able to evaluate the veggie options for whether or not they are tasty, and feel good about eating them.

yeah same

we rarely eat meat at home, but mostly because it is gross to handle and makes your trash can smell horrible

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That I can definitely understand. Hopefully in the next few years lab-grown meat can be successfully commercialized to avoid the ethical issues of the meat industry.

I heard something on the radio a few days ago that by the next 5 years this is going to become more of a thing (lab-grown meat). This article seems to hint that UK restaurants will slowly begin to introduce it to their menus by the end of the year.

Lab-grown 'clean' meat could be on sale by end of 2018

Yeah I can't imagine I'm going to go full vegetarian/vegan. There's going to be times where I'm going to be craving a steak dinner or a chicken sandwich/cheesburger and I'm going to give in. That said, the meals I do cook that are less meat-centric (pasta, baked potatoes, pizza) I'm going to give up the bacon/sausage/ham that I usually add to it. Seems like thats the best way for me to "jumpstart" this change.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Personally I just run my tongue around my mouth and if it finds the canicals I'm pretty cool with any ethical issues around meat-eating.

Can't find the correct gif from From Dusk Till Dawn, but this guy generally is my spirit animal:

xgFVfWi.gif

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Curious, any of you ever tried becoming a vegetarian? Or at the very least limiting yourself to eating one or two helpings of meat/poultry/fish a week or so? How long until you couldn't take it anymore and gave in?

I can't go full vegetarian. I do try to have a meatless meal often (and, no; bowl of cereal for breakfast doesn't count), but I need the sustainability you get with protein.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can't go full vegetarian. I do try to have a meatless meal often (and, no; bowl of cereal for breakfast doesn't count), but I need the sustainability you get with protein.

Not that I think you, or anyone should go vegetarian, as I'm not, but there are a lot of ways to get protein without eating meat. They aren't all as good tasting as meat, but that means it's more of a taste issue than a protein issue.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Not that I think you, or anyone should go vegetarian, as I'm not, but there are a lot of ways to get protein without eating meat. They aren't all as good tasting as meat, but that means it's more of a taste issue than a protein issue.

Eskenazi Hospital, in my area & is a quantum leap from typically deep fried hospital food, serves a killer black bean burger that has protein in it, but I've found that other veggie burgers (especially quinoa) don't compare to black bean.

Eating quinoa is like chewing on tree nuts for me; I can't stand it.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

The absorption of protein is not the same of plants vs meat.

Find a local farm and buy direct.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Yeah I hear you. I gave in tonight after going almost 4 whole days w/o some kind of meat in my stomach, had to get some protein in me and I also had some chicken that needed to be cooked or freezed, so BBQ Chicken and rice it was for me.

That Black Bean Burger actually sounds pretty good. Looks like Trader Joes sells those along with veggie hot dogs, guess I know where I'll be grocery shopping this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad