Hurricanes Lounge XXVII: BURN THE NEW SERVERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Heard of Kershaw, think I've been through there once.

Can't say I knew there was a town called Richland. Doesn't appear to be anything more than a dot on the map.

I honestly didn't know there was a town called Richland either! For funsies here's the towns in NC who bear a county's name that aren't in that county. I realized it was bad, but not this bad:

City/TownCounty it's Located In
AlexanderBuncombe County
BeaufortCartaret County
BrunswickColumbus County
CaldwellMecklenburg County
Orange County
CherokeeSwain County
Jackson County
ClevelandRowan County
ColumbusPolk County
DavidsonMecklenburg County
FranklinMacon County
GastonNorthampton County
GrahamAlamance County
HaywoodChatham County
HendersonVance County
HertfordPerquimans County
Jackson Northampton County
LenoirCaldwell County
MaconWarren County
MadisonRockingham County
RockinghamRichmond County
StokesPitt County
WashingtonBeaufort County
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Here we go....

Uber self-driving vehicle hits, kills pedestrian in Arizona
http://b.wr.al/5ae
The liability on this is going to be huge...and one has to think not just limited to Uber. Have to wonder does the state/county/city shoulder any of that liability? Man, this has got shit show written all over it.

Edit: This is also where lawyers earn their money. A well written indemnification clause goes a long way in this situation.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The liability on this is going to be huge...and one has to think not just limited to Uber.
Maybe. If the pedestrian was phone watching and stepped out into oncoming traffic...could be very little liability on anyone's part besides the pedestrian. I'm sure there will be camera and other sensors on the vehicle that will show the situation.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A way deeper conversation than on a message board but sometimes these technological advances are so ethically confusing.

Sometimes they are, but sometimes it's the newness of it and/or the maturity of the technology. People don't even blink about technology (auto-pilot) flying the plane for them, or computer programs operating a subway for them, or dispensing insulin or other drugs into them, etc.. Auto driving cars are difficult because there's way more human interaction (Pedestrians, other drivers, etc...)than the examples I gave, the technology isn't as mature and it's taking something out of our own hands (vs. a pilot already flies a plane for us, or a conductor on a subway or a Dr./Nurse dispensing medicine, etc..)

I drove 8 hours yesterday (all highway) and the number of times someone was swerving in front or next to me because they couldn't put down their damn phone was alarming. Twice I had to move over into the shoulder to avoid being hit. The number of times there was a car that stayed in the left lane, all the time while cars backed up, tailgate other cars, try and pass on the right, etc... never ceases to amaze me.

I do get the ethical dilemma though. It's tough, because fundamentally, people aren't very good at driving either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad