Hurricanes Lounge XXVII: BURN THE NEW SERVERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The smarter part of my brains know to do that, but I like to hang around for a few seconds and see if the scam is a funny one.

And sometimes, when I'm in the mood, I really like to f*** with them. The "Microsoft support" guy called once so I acted like a complete newbie (Oh no, this sounds serious). He told me to go to my computer and click on the little windows icon on the lower left of my screen. I kept telling him I can't find it, etc..etc.. and he spent a good 5 minutes trying to talk me through what to do to give access to my computer so he could "fix" it.

Finally, I said. "You keep saying for me to click on the windows thingy, but I don't see any windows. I only see Ubuntu." Click, he hung up.

What's unfortunate, is these guys, the "IRS" guys, etc.. DO scam a lot of people, especially older (than me) and more vulnerable ones. Very unfortunate.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I wish I had that flexibility. I work with a bunch of graduate students from all over the country, so I never can tell if the call is just spam or someone that legitimately is looking to talk to me based upon the number.

One thing I have noticed, though, is the frequency of BS calls that try to mimic my own number. My 3-digit prefix is 543 and I get a bunch of spam calls that are 919-543-XXXX. It is so bad, that I use that as a screen; I won't answer any calls that look close to my number.

Exactly. Most of mine are a 919-610-XXXX number. It's a giveaway for sure.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
My number starts with 980, which is Charlotte's second area code. I moved here almost five years ago.

The great thing about having that number in Raleigh is I know that if it's a 919 number, it's probably legit. Meanwhile, nobody with a Charlotte number ever leaves a voicemail, probably because they're not actually in Charlotte. Other than people I have saved in my contacts, nobody there is still trying to get a hold of me.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
And sometimes, when I'm in the mood, I really like to **** with them. The "Microsoft support" guy called once so I acted like a complete newbie (Oh no, this sounds serious). He told me to go to my computer and click on the little windows icon on the lower left of my screen. I kept telling him I can't find it, etc..etc.. and he spent a good 5 minutes trying to talk me through what to do to give access to my computer so he could "fix" it.

Finally, I said. "You keep saying for me to click on the windows thingy, but I don't see any windows. I only see Ubuntu." Click, he hung up.

What's unfortunate, is these guys, the "IRS" guys, etc.. DO scam a lot of people, especially older (than me) and more vulnerable ones. Very unfortunate.

That reminds me of a guy doing that at work. It took a few minutes before I looked at him and said "who the hell are you talking to?" and he told me what he was doing. It was one of the funniest one-sided conversations I've ever heard. I think he kept him going for 30-35 minutes before the guy finally caught on, started yelling at him, then hung up. Ever since then I've hoped for one of those calls, still waiting... :(

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I had no idea what HisIceness was talking about, so I had one of those "not sure if this is serious" reactions. Good to hear more explanation from the rest of you...

I get a fair number of calls from NC area codes that are junk, but I've learned to stop answering them, and they don't leave voicemail. You guys are getting voicemail on your mobile from these ****ers...?

Yes. Here's an example of what they typically leave me and others.

Sometimes they use Siri. I've gotten some with Siris voice before.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
F3C07CB6-5958-4E61-B0F4-42F4CCD2C1F2.jpeg

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
And sometimes, when I'm in the mood, I really like to **** with them. The "Microsoft support" guy called once so I acted like a complete newbie (Oh no, this sounds serious). He told me to go to my computer and click on the little windows icon on the lower left of my screen. I kept telling him I can't find it, etc..etc.. and he spent a good 5 minutes trying to talk me through what to do to give access to my computer so he could "fix" it.

When I was unemployed, I used to mess with them. But even then I got fed up because I'd get the call so often (and I didn't want to screen potential interview calls) that I started asking them for their name, address, and supervisor so I could report them to the BBB.

There was one who told me his address was the address of my former house. That was a little disconcerting.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
My number starts with 980, which is Charlotte's second area code. I moved here almost five years ago.

The great thing about having that number in Raleigh is I know that if it's a 919 number, it's probably legit. Meanwhile, nobody with a Charlotte number ever leaves a voicemail, probably because they're not actually in Charlotte. Other than people I have saved in my contacts, nobody there is still trying to get a hold of me.

Funny you mention that. I get a lot of random calls from 980 numbers too. And like you, they never leave a voicemail or message. I used to think they were looking for my mother as we have had identical #'s for about 15 years now but none of my siblings are in grade school anymore.

I also get a lot of random calls from the same 3-digit prefix as me as someone else mentioned.

When I was unemployed, I used to mess with them. But even then I got fed up because I'd get the call so often (and I didn't want to screen potential interview calls) that I started asking them for their name, address, and supervisor so I could report them to the BBB.

There was one who told me his address was the address of my former house. That was a little disconcerting.

Next time you or anyone else gets a "I'm from the technical support" call, do what this guy did. Watch heads explode :laugh:

1950s Charlotte in a nutshell. Plus hockey

IIRC I've seen that picture before in a recent magazine and it was dated 1972.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
IIRC I've seen that picture before in a recent magazine and it was dated 1972.
Yeah, the cars look like they're from the late 60s or early 70s, so 1972 sounds about right. Definitely wasn't the 50s.

On another note, I was stuck in traffic on 40 last night and let in a truck with a license plate that said WOLFPUCK. I wonder if that's the same guy who posts here. If so, I appreciated the wave. You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad