OT: Hurricanes Lounge XXV: Snowstorm Panic Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Jury is still out on Craig for me. He is an excellent serious Bond, but almost too serious. Connery was the perfect mix of serious, charm, and humor. Live and Let Die, Octo*****, and Moonraker were some of my favorites growing up, which is why I lean Moore. I underrate Dalton because I hate the 80's, which turned me off to his adaptations. Even with that, Brosnan is a clear cut #5 for me.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I know y'all wanna be angry, and imma let you finish, but yoda is the greatest religious mind of all time:

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

" Laughter kills fear, and without fear there can be no faith, because without fear of the Devil there is no more need of God."

see i can pull obscure movie references out of my ass too :):laugh:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Jury is still out on Craig for me. He is an excellent serious Bond, but almost too serious. Connery was the perfect mix of serious, charm, and humor. Live and Let Die, Octo*****, and Moonraker were some of my favorites growing up, which is why I lean Moore. I underrate Dalton because I hate the 80's, which turned me off to his adaptations. Even with that, Brosnan is a clear cut #5 for me.

To me, Craig is as close to Connery, especially early Connery, as it gets which is why I put him at #2. The others aren't even close for me.

Like I said earlier, the movies with Moore became too "cartoonish". Not that Bond is meant to be "believable", but for his movies, the pendulum swung so far to the "humor/unbelievable" side that for me, it took away from what made Bond great. It was more like watching James Bond meets Cannonball run. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the movies with him in them, but the Bond character wasn't nearly as good. I didn't like Dalton at all. Didn't look the part, didn't have the right personality, but each to his own. In fairness, I might be ranking Brosnan higher because he came after the abomination that was Dalton.

Side note. I was in Hawaii a while back with my wife and we were at a Luau. While getting a drink at the bar, the bartender asked me where I was from and when I mentioned NC, he said he used to go to Charlotte with his dad. He said his dad was a professional wrestler and Olympic weightlifter. I was intrigued so as we talked, I found out his name was Jon Sakata and his father was Harold Sakata...aka...Odd Job from Goldfinger! He showed me a bunch of pictures he had of him and his dad. Was pretty cool.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Connery/Craig are 1 and 2, AINEC.

Have they announced the next James Bond?

EDIT: a quick look brought up this article (linked below) from a couple weeks ago that says Aidan Turner is favorite, but from a UK betting site, here are the odds:

Tom Hardy: 5/2
Michael Fassbender: 3/1
Aidan Turner: 3/1
James Norton: 4/1
Tom Hiddleston: 7/1
Idris Elba: 7/1
Jack Huston: 10/1
Jamie Bell: 20/1
Henry Cavill: 20/1
Luke Evans: 25/1
Dan Stevens: 33/1
Benedict Cumberbatch: 66/1
Clive Owen: 100/1

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1703522/james-bond-tom-hardy-odds-fassbender/

Last edited:

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
To me, Craig is as close to Connery, especially early Connery, as it gets which is why I put him at #2. The others aren't even close for me.

Like I said earlier, the movies with Moore became too "cartoonish". Not that Bond is meant to be "believable", but for his movies, the pendulum swung so far to the "humor/unbelievable" side that for me, it took away from what made Bond great. It was more like watching James Bond meets Cannonball run. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the movies with him in them, but the Bond character wasn't nearly as good. I didn't like Dalton at all. Didn't look the part, didn't have the right personality, but each to his own. In fairness, I might be ranking Brosnan higher because he came after the abomination that was Dalton.

Early Connery and Craig are more in the spirit of the books, from my understanding (who ****ing reads? :)). But if you compare, say, Dr. No to YOLT, there was definitely a shift in the persona. Moore took it to the next level, which, understandably, many didn't like.

EDIT: a quick look brought up this article (linked below) from a couple weeks ago that says Aidan Turner is favorite, but from a UK betting site, here are the odds:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1703522/james-bond-tom-hardy-odds-fassbender/

I remember the uproar when Idris Elba was gaining some traction. As much as I love Tom Hardy, that's a pass. Michael Fassbender is interesting. Feels like it'll be a lesser known, like a Henry Cavill or something.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
BTW..here's the ranking of actors in terms of how well each film they were in did (gross $/ film - adjusted for inflation)

1. Daniel Craig
2. Sean Connery
3. Roger Moore
4. Pierce Brosnan
5. George Lazenby
6. Timothy Dalton

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Badass yes, but had the personality of a rock. And that's what Bond needs, to be badass, but have that personality that makes you want to be him. Kind of "the most interesting man in the world" concept. Connery and Craig had/have the total package and is why they are at the top. Lazenby and Dalton didn't which is why they are at the bottom.

Unfortunately for Roger Moore, they turned Bond into an almost cartoonish type character during his run as Bond, but part of that is because of his own style which is why I don't put him in Connery and Craig's category. Brosnan started to bring it back to it's roots, but couldn't quite carry it off.

Yeah, I can see your point. Lazenby was "understated". I think a lot of my liking him was I really liked the plot of that movie. There's no doubt that Connery defined the role and Craig has done an excellent job with it. I guess I also kinda like Brosnan's portrayal, but there was just something about it that didn't quite sit right with me.....

I've been watching a bit of series The Night Manager and I think Hiddleston could pull it off.

Early Connery and Craig are more in the spirit of the books, from my understanding (who ****ing reads? :)). But if you compare, say, Dr. No to YOLT, there was definitely a shift in the persona.

I read a couple of the books a LONG time ago. In the book, Bond is more of a "sophisticate", even a dandy. He also can come off as an *******....which might be why the persona is so tough to get right in the movies....if they were to harken back to the books.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The parachuting scene in Moonraker (I think thats the Bond film I'm thinking of) is still one of my favorite scenes ever. RIP Moore.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Too many idiots around here driving at night w/o their headlights on again. Almost hit one of these dumbasses just a few minutes ago. Thank God for the street light that wasn't out.

Best part? I could see the light of a cell phone in the drivers hand. Also saw it today in the blinding rain while driving down a hilly road where there is a school and a church that has a day-care and an after-school program on the other side of the street while cars were forming lines to pick up children. Dumbass texting away while behind the wheel. Idiot didn't even have his wipers on.

**** these stupid morons. I know everyone says their city has ****** drivers, but the drivers here are a special kind of stupid. Add to that the narrow-outdated roads that crowd up in the blink of an eye, and I'm honestly surprised I don't witness more accidents here.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I've enjoyed pretty much all of the Bond movies I've seen, no matter who plays James Bond. I wouldn't mind anyone on the list of potential actors. Tom Hardy would be kind of weird but he is insanely versatile as an actor, same with Idris Elba.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
That's the reception intro song my wife and I came out to. ***** DJ played the edited version. Or maybe it was the garter toss. I don't know, I was on dat sweet Raleigh meth.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It was more like watching James Bond meets Cannonball run.

I assume that you're referring to the fact that Roger Moore was playing "himself" in Cannonball Run.

I don't know, I can't disparage the more comedic Bond. It's not wrong that Bond doesn't take him too seriously to not have the the good ol' boy sheriff Pepper something in very minor comedic role in more than one film. Jaws obviously is very much the epitome of recurring Bond villainy.

They should perhaps have stopped to the opening credits of Goldeneye though.

... and then I learn Clifton James, sheriff Pepper went to clear the way to Mr. Moore just this April. :(

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I assume that you're referring to the fact that Roger Moore was playing "himself" in Cannonball Run.

Yes, partially that.

I don't know, I can't disparage the more comedic Bond. It's not wrong that Bond doesn't take him too seriously to not have the the good ol' boy sheriff Pepper something in very minor comedic role in more than one film. Jaws obviously is very much the epitome of recurring Bond villainy.(

I know it seems that way, but I'm not really "disparaging" him. I'm just giving the reason why he's not as good of a James Bond as Connery and Craig. As Rod said, the "shift" started to occur even before Moore came on board, but was take to a new level with him.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I know it seems that way, but I'm not really "disparaging" him. I'm just giving the reason why he's not as good of a James Bond as Connery and Craig. As Rod said, the "shift" started to occur even before Moore came on board, but was take to a new level with him.

I must stress, I meant (not) disparaging the character Bond as portrayed by Roger Moore, not the actor or his acting, and in extension the Bond films of that era.

I didn't mean that you would have, just that *I* can't while I know the Moore Bond certainly is not to the liking of many people. The more comedy-friendly direction and take on the character was of course a conscious choice by the franchise show-runners.

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So who is the next Bond?

I'm in Idris Elba's camp, personally. Magnificent on both Luther and The Wire and he's got that right mix of being suave, sophisticated, and a complete and total badass.

BTW..here's the ranking of actors in terms of how well each film they were in did (gross $/ film - adjusted for inflation)

1. Daniel Craig
2. Sean Connery
3. Roger Moore
4. Pierce Brosnan
5. George Lazenby
6. Timothy Dalton

With that type of knowledge, I think we need to recruit you for the official HFCanes trivia team...

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I'm in Idris Elba's camp, personally. Magnificent on both Luther and The Wire and he's got that right mix of being suave, sophisticated, and a complete and total badass.

Not to mention a helluva driver, he does all of his own driving stunts and had a tv show where he went around and participated in different kinds of racing/driving. Have you seen Beasts of No Nation? He was pretty darn good in that too. Don't forget his role as Charles Milner in The Office, that **** was hilarious.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not to mention a helluva driver, he does all of his own driving stunts and had a tv show where he went around and participated in different kinds of racing/driving. Have you seen Beasts of No Nation? He was pretty darn good in that too. Don't forget his role as Charles Milner in The Office, that **** was hilarious.

Was about to post, only thing I've ever seen him in was The Office but he was great, and would be a good James Bond.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
With that type of knowledge, I think we need to recruit you for the official HFCanes trivia team...

Funny you should say that. Many years ago, my wife and I went to one of those all inclusive resorts in the French Caribbean. There were probably 500 (guessing) people total at the resort, but maybe 25 were Americans. Vast majority were from France, but some from Canada and other parts of Europe. Every night before dinner, people would gather in the bar and they'd do trivia for free drinks (Beer/Wine with Dinner was free, but drinks at the bar you paid for). The first 2 nights, all the trivia was James Bond. I won every single drink the first night and on the 2nd night as well, until the guy stopped calling on me. :laugh: It wasn't so much that I was an expert, but the mainly French contingent was way less up on James Bond. Then they switched to classic American TV shows (Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Mash, etc...) for the next few nights which everyone else was even less informed on so needless to say, I probably won 30 free drinks on that vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad