OT: Hurricanes Lounge XXIII: Let's Go Bowling edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
From what I can tell, this is how Trump will be paying for our overseas military bases.

...had to look this one up too.

Reimbursement for US military bases in rich countries abroad

As for nations that host US. military bases, Trump said he would charge those governments for the American presence. "I'm going to renegotiate some of our military costs because we protect South Korea. We protect Germany. We protect some of the wealthies countries in the world, Saudi Arabia. We protect everybody and we don't get reimbursement. We lose on everything, so we're going to negotiate and renegotiate trade deals, military deals, many other deals that's going to get the cost down for running our country very significantly."
Trump then got into a specific example: Saudi Arabia, one of the more important US allies in the Middle East. Saudis "make a billion dollars a day. We protect them. So we need help. We are losing a tremendous amount of money on a yearly basis and we owe $19 trillion," he said.
Walking back trade deals and agreements that allow the US military to operate overseas is easier said than done. But Trump has tapped into a powerful anti-Washington populist sentiment.
Source: Foreign Policy Magazine on 2016 presidential hopefuls , Sep 28, 2015

http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Donald_Trump_Foreign_Policy.htm

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So since it sounds like we've had a lot of job hunters lately, I've got a question:

Does anyone else find themselves getting an obscene amount of calls about sales jobs?

I mean, I know sales is typically a "meat grinder" job, where it's about quantity rather than quality, so recruiters are looking for just about anyone to fill those roles, but there's no indication that I have any interest in sales on my resume and I'm getting tired of telling each different recruiter that I'm not a salesman. I don't have the personality for it.

Wondering if it's just me (or rather, something on my resume) or if it's just something that happens if you show any activity on the likes of CareerBuilder, Indeed, etc.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
So since it sounds like we've had a lot of job hunters lately, I've got a question:

Does anyone else find themselves getting an obscene amount of calls about sales jobs?

I mean, I know sales is typically a "meat grinder" job, where it's about quantity rather than quality, so recruiters are looking for just about anyone to fill those roles, but there's no indication that I have any interest in sales on my resume and I'm getting tired of telling each different recruiter that I'm not a salesman. I don't have the personality for it.

Wondering if it's just me (or rather, something on my resume) or if it's just something that happens if you show any activity on the likes of CareerBuilder, Indeed, etc.

My guess is it's something in your background that sales companies like (which could be anything), especially if you have a resume with contact information floating around online. Or maybe somebody you know said something nice about you to a recruiter, but then again maybe not if the calls are coming from specific companies trying to hire you directly.

I used to get calls, emails, and LinkedIn messages from headhunters all the time when I was in public accounting, both from staffing agencies and directly from companies. I don't even know how they got my work number, but the last couple of years I was there, I didn't go a week without getting cold calls. Those calls have stopped now that I've spent the last two and a half years of my life in asset management at a low-income housing tax credit syndicator (read: nobody outside of a very tiny and specialized industry knows what the **** that even means, so nobody tries to hire me away from it).

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
is your current company going through some crap?

typically headhunters target employees with good output and potential in situations they might want out of

even if its not your area of interest, those are the jobs they have, and they are probably banking on you being unhappy in your current role

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I constantly get headhunters asking me if I'd be interested in making hundreds of dollars a week from the comfort of my own home. I am a very attractive candidate.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I constantly get headhunters asking me if I'd be interested in making hundreds of dollars a week from the comfort of my own home. I am a very attractive candidate.

You can make hundreds of dollars a week from the comfort of my own home, big boy :naughty:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yep, the last injury I took in Garner was pretty brutal. I'm waiting for the Morrisville rink to open, though I've been told the conditions at both RCI and Ice Plex are better then Cary and Garner.

Wake Forest has solid rinks, but I wouldn't be able to keep up in that division there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad