Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes@Capitals: Barry likes Gersich so Gersich is sctratched. Other news at 11

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by OvechkinTooth, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Langway

Langway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Surrender the speed game entirely to muddy the waters? Very, very possible. I don't doubt there's a Hunter Hockey feel to their game once the pace elevates as well. It won't be as excessive but I get the sense the forechecking battle is likely one they'll consistently lose and it's not like they're a tremendous transition team either. They're going to need to do a better job of keeping teams to the outside to survive pushes.

DSP getting two games on the third line was rather strange. It forced Connolly into a spot where he had to show he could work with grinders and the results were predictably so-so for both. You'd think the PIT game will be the playoff lineup, assuming Oshie is good to go, but they seem very unsettled with bottom six and it's not just due to Gersich's arrival. I think they just don't know what to make of the group, how it ought to be and how much they can be trusted.

2. RandyHolt

RandyHolt Keep truckin'

Any injury lingering at all to Oshie, I vote lets use a game of rest for him to test a mega speed lineup. I know, I know. #Barry but it's been the trend in the NHL for close to a decade now. Pitt seems a logical time to try it since grinding vs them hasnt been a difference maker.

Shane Stephenson and Vrana In

VaCaps Fan likes this.
  3. AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8 Better luck next year

4. txpd

txpd Registered User

Home Page:
    Didn't see a lot last night. I did see the first goal against when Djoos backed himself halfway into Holtby's crease and then was beaten from right in front. Was this goal generally blamed on Orpik??

CapitalsCupFantasy likes this.
  5. iwanttobelieve

iwanttobelieve Registered User

Dunno why Trotz won't just put Gersich with Eller and Bura to 3rd and Vrana 2nd. IMO would be best possible lineup with these guys. If Gersich fails then just swap him with Stephenson or who ever.

6. maacoshark

maacoshark Registered User

I don't think anyone blamed Orpik. Some people blamed Wilson for losing his man. He did lose his man but I agreed that Djoos was the guy that played it poorly.

7. maacoshark

You want Gersich and Burakovsky on a line together? Neither are known for their defensive play. That could be trouble.

8. trick9

trick9 Registered User

Nordstrom (who Djoos was covering) got the first whack at the puck and Holtby saved that. Ryan then beat both Kuznetsov and Wilson to the rebound.

Prior to that Slavin just skated right past Brooks Orpik to the corner and made the centering pass. Orpik as his usual self had his stick up and went to make a completely needless hit which allowed that centering pass, when he could have just prevented that with a stick check.

I don't think people bother blaming him for his stupidity in running around to make hits anymore. He's never going to learn.

9. peterthegreat12

peterthegreat12 Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How is Gersich already known for defensive play or not? He has played one game in the NHL. He played both PK and PP at North Dakota.

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Registered User

Now this I can get on board with!!

I want him in the pressbox. I am over his delicate baby ass style. :mad:

11. CapitalsCupFantasy

CapitalsCupFantasy It’s Go Time!!

Devil’s Advocate, Caller of BS
    The only thing Holtby really takes crap for in the playoffs is not making a timely save when the game or series depends on it. We’re really only talking about few heartbreaking recent moments, but they’ve been deciding moments against the eventual champs and our mortal enemy....so the criticism is magnified.

Champions find a way to get it done.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  12. iwanttobelieve

iwanttobelieve Registered User

Im fine with that too. Atleast demote him from 2nd line. He doesnt bring anything else than slow wrist shot.

13. maacoshark

I agree

14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Registered User

He has a ton of talent for sure but he is simply not willing to pay the price. Even Marge, who I wasn't the biggest fan of, would get his ass kicked in front of the net if it led to a scoring chance.

I have been a fan of Burka's since his first dev camp but I am tired of the fact that he just will not drop that shoulder and go to the damn net. Sad for me to admit but it's time to move on and give someone else a shot.

peterthegreat12 likes this.
  15. peterthegreat12

peterthegreat12 Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This. He plays a perimeter game and has such a slow release. He attempts the same curl and drag every time. He needs to learn to get a little dirty, and figure out how to bring the same effort every night. I agree he should be a chip they look to flip for a d-man.

16. um

um Registered User

nothing
    Saying he was saving the team is a pretty ridiculous exaggeration, Holtby was playing pretty good while the team stunk when Grubauer was in net.

But Holtby never put up the ridiculous numbers that Grubauer did these past few months. He’s been mediocre at best.

calicapsfan likes this.
  17. maacoshark

The book on Gerisch is that he is better offensively. I'm not saying its a fact. Playing college and the NHL are completely different. You expect young players to struggle defensively early in their careers because of the difference in size, strength and speed of the players.
    You don't really think Gerisch is going to step in and play like a Selke candidate.

18. maacoshark

Holtby put up ridiculous numbers 3 consecutive seasons. He struggled in the playoffs last season and hasn't seemed to recover.
    Grubauers numbers are pretty good but coming into a game in relief in a few blowouts has helped his numbers. He also hasn't played the strongest competition. He has filled in admirably but his weak technical play concerns me.
    Everyone sees numbers and they think this guy is awesome. People need to look deeper than the numbers.

19. twabby

twabby Registered User

I’d play Grubauer against Pittsburgh. If he puts up another good game against the best offense in the league I think you have to consider him the starter for Game 1, no?

Eazy for Kuzy and calicapsfan like this.
  20. calicapsfan

calicapsfan NFA

editor
    I agree and conversely if you put 70 in and he gets shelled by Pitt, his fragile confidence will be wrecked, and he's back to square one at best on the eve of the playoffs.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Eazy for Kuzy likes this.
  21. um

um Registered User

nothing
    Right now Grubauer is far superior to Holtby. When Holtby isn’t struggling and Grubauer is average he’s obviously better, but that isn’t the case right now.

We’re a week away from the playoffs and the starting goalie needs to be decided so he can get ready for the playoffs.

22. notDkristich

notDkristich Registered User

Only $5??? I'll bet my entire ridiculous salary that he does that and doubles down on the ridiculous 'quality over quantity' shooting strategy.

Admit it Trotz, you have no real plan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.