Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes@Capitals: Barry likes Gersich so Gersich is sctratched. Other news at 11

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by OvechkinTooth, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maacoshark

maacoshark Registered User

Grubauer has had a pretty good run against some weak teams but he isnt a very sound technical goalie. His luck will run out.

2. CapsRuinedMySleep

CapsRuinedMySleep Back for more!

Grubi got shutouts while Holthree was sitting on the bench. And lets stop that "he played easy teams" bullcrap. Who was just playing the Canes? :allears:

IafrateOvie34 likes this.
  3. notDkristich

notDkristich Registered User

Woof - 1st line
    Woof - Niskanen (his decision making with the puck is maddening)
    Woof - Bura (I just don't see it, and neither does he!)
    Alright alright alright - Backstrom
    Alright alright alright- DSP (but I'd prefer to see Gersich some more)
    Alright alright alright - Stephenson (should get more playing time, but Trotz!)

4. Bladerunner

Bladerunner Registered User

hk I'm far from anti Holtby. There was a time I thought he'd be a 10+ year franchise goalie for us. I hope he gets back that.

However BH started looking suspect last season, you know on a PT team. He was sub par vs TO and erratic vs Pitt.
    Did I say something wrong or outlandish?

5. hockeykicker

hockeykicker Moderator

you didnt, you and cali were asking when the last time he stole a game. it was last game

6. maacoshark

Trust me Grubauer isn't the guy. He has filled in admirably but I don't think he can carry us through the playoffs.

7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Registered User

Is it wrong that I want Grubs just because “why not”? We’ve went with Holtby, let’s try Grubby, what’s the worst that could happen, a first round exit instead of a second?

Other than the Bruin series in 2012 Holtby has always been underwhelming to me. I know nothing about goaltending so I could be completely wrong, it just seems like he never makes that save that saves the season.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    um and RandyHolt like this.
  8. marcel snapshot

marcel snapshot Registered User

This is true. And it's why Holtby needs to get his **** together. But he's not getting his **** together. He looks in playoff form: some nice athletic saves, and some brutal, stoppable untimely goals. We know how this ends. He has to show something different, otherwise the team will display an anemic, fraidy-cat style of play in front of him. And that = death

RandyHolt and Bladerunner like this.
  9. maacoshark

Let's see. Grubauers last 5 starts were against the Wings, Canadians, Rangers, Islanders and Flyers. 4 of those teams are eliminated from the playoffs. The one playoff team he faced in those 5 games beat us. So yes he has played against weak opponents.

10. CapsRuinedMySleep

CapsRuinedMySleep Back for more!

Well I don't trust you. :laugh:
    Holtby would give up 3 in the 1st period, get pulled, Grubi would come in and give up 1 or none. And this was just recently so I'm sorry if I don't trust him anymore. Maybe next season.

RandyHolt, Devil Dancer and troyerlaw like this.
  11. maacoshark

Don't be sorry. Its your opinion. I am concerned about our goaltending heading into the playoffs. I think our best chance us with Holtby. But I could be completely wrong. Everyone knows he hasn't played well. Hoping he can turn it around in the playoffs.

12. EroCaps

EroCaps Registered User

Holtby has been bad all season, as his numbers prove out. Grubauer had bad, what, 5-10 games? He wasn't the starter.

13. IafrateOvie34

IafrateOvie34 Registered User

Let's roll with a Murphy, Graves, and Gelinas situation this year :). Put the youth together on one line and give it a go. Gersich's potential to steal pucks and go to the net with Vrana's speed could be an interesting situation. Let's not forget Stephenson either. I'm all for going with Grubs at this point. The playoffs are too close now and you play the hot goalie.

RandyHolt, calicapsfan and Sam Spade like this.
  14. troyerlaw

troyerlaw Life is party again

criminal defense attorney
    Hasn’t grubauer had 3 shutouts to holtby’s 0 and in considerably fewer starts?

I just think grubauer has kept us in games lately with timely stops. I haven’t seen Holts do that, consistently, since 2/3rds of the way thru last year.

Anyway, if Trotz DOES go back to 70 for playoffs, i hope he keeps him on a shorter leash and is willing to roll the dice with Grubauer. Last spring i was dying for him to do that.

Three or four years ago holts had such a bad-ass aura and confidence to his game. It seems totally gone this year.

All just my humble opinion.

Also, it may all be moot. The way Grubs reacted after that injury the other night, it just looked like the type of thing which could hamper him for a few weeks. I hope not, but i didn’t have a good feeling watching that replay.

RandyHolt and Bladerunner like this.
  15. Bladerunner

Bladerunner Registered User

Grubi also got awful goal support, but Holtby apologists want us to forget that.
    That's why his key goalie stats are better then BH's while BH has had the better win pct.

If we have to depend on current Holtby in the playoffs, then to borrow from daddy Bush, Caps are in deep doo-doo
    ... very likely in round 1 :oops:

16. marcel snapshot

marcel snapshot Registered User

Holtby stole a series against Boston in 2011-12, and he almost stole one v the Rangers, which would have enabled us to Hunter hockey our way to the semis. But since then his playoff performance has been, at best, normal. He was sick at the start of Round 1 v the Isles in 2013-14 and we had to go 7 games against them. He had a chanc to be a legend in round 2 vs the Rangers that year, up 1-0 with 2 minutes to play in Game 5 and then bang. And he has been outplayed by Pens goalies the last two years. He needs to elevate his game for the playoffs, not revert to the mean or worse. He shows no sign of being able to do that.

RandyHolt and troyerlaw like this.
  17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Registered User

This!!

Ovie, Kuzy, Wilson
    Oshie, Backs, Vrana
    Gersich, Eller, Connelly
    Stephenson, Beagle, who the hell cares (the guy who works hardest in practice or whatever).

These lines can be switched of course but this combo of players is who I want in the lineup.

It will never happen of course. Barry's refusal to play these kids more than one at a time will be his undoing and why he is not retained.

18. Empty Goal Net

Empty Goal Net Registered User

No one knows who would perform better, so the absolutes regarding how either goalie will do in the playoffs are a bit contrived. It's entertaining reading for awhile but then it gets repetitious.

I think that some of Gruby's #s are score-influenced. All those games he came in to relieve Holtby, the opponent already had a decent lead and didn't have to put up more goals to win. I'm not up to date on all the advanced stats, but if there's any adjusted GAA calculations out there, Gruby's adjusted #s would not look as good.

That said, I'm in a "try Gruby" camp rather than a "die with Holtby" fanclub. Varlamov took Threeormore's job in R1 last decade and performed admirably. New guy replaced former Vezina winner. Fitting.

19. peterthegreat12

peterthegreat12 Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Holtby hasn’t proven to be capable of that either. He plays well in the playoffs but has the bad habit of giving up a bad goal each and every game.

RandyHolt likes this.
  20. Devil Dancer

Devil Dancer Registered User Sponsor

Even if you think Holtby is capable of being a top NHL goalie (and I think he can), he clearly is not one of them right now. And that's ok. This is a new era of goalie management, just look at the Pens. You don't have to live and die by any one guy anymore.

I start Gruby in G1 and see how it goes.

Sam Spade and calicapsfan like this.
  21. trick9

trick9 Registered User

Joe B and Locker praising Scott Darling like they just saw a masterclass in goal. Darling made 20 saves. 20.

Meanwhile, the Capitals are still bleeding shots and high-danger scoring chances against. Dead last in the NHL in shots on goal and high-danger scoring chance differential.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Devil Dancer likes this.
  22. ovikovy817

ovikovy817 Registered User

It was a must win for Carolina. So it's normal that they were more motivated than a team that is already in the playoffs.
    Love how some people blame Ovi for the game when every players were bad. :clap:

The most important things now it's to know what happened to Oshie and why Carlson missed several shifts in the middle of the 3rd.

23. Bananas

Bananas ****

Who gives a ****?

Sam Spade likes this.
  24. Raikkonen

Raikkonen In GMBT we trust

5$ on Trotz getting both Chiasson and DSP in the roster when the going gets tough.

25. trick9

trick9 Registered User

I doubt it. Sure, Grubauer has gotten terrible goal support this season. Braden Holtby has gotten that through his entire Playoff career and he still takes ton of crap for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.