Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes@Capitals: Barry likes Gersich so Gersich is sctratched. Other news at 11

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by OvechkinTooth, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OvechkinTooth

OvechkinTooth Tim Peel is bad

Vrana back in. Holtby in net.

2. hockeykicker

hockeykicker Moderator

For Pete's sake, scratching gerisch isnt that bad. Vrana needs to get back in and so does connolly. Then gersich would play 6 mins on 4th line then everyone would be mad about that

Also means gruabuer starts in pitt

3. Eazy for Kuzy

Eazy for Kuzy Forever a Caps fan

People will use anything and everything as criticism against Trotz now.

4. OvechkinTooth

I'm not against getting Vrana back in. I'm all for that. But if you say something about a player, act accordingly (Trotz). Also this approach with good young players when they go in and out of the lineup for no particular reason is questionable for me. I remember Forsberg being annoyed with Trotz back when he did that to him. It just doesnt send the right message to a young player. Some would take it as an advice to work harder but there can also be Ho-Sangs who just have no idea what they want from him.

Skrudland2Lomakin likes this.
  5. Skrudland2Lomakin

Skrudland2Lomakin Registered User

I would have given Gersich Carolina since they are a defeated team, this means that if he does get back into the lineup before seasons end he's playing Nash, Pitt, STL, or NJD... yeeeeesh that's a rough lineup.

I'll give Trotz some credit, just when everyone is on him for telegraphing his gameplay he throw a wild card out, praises a kid, and then scratches him.

6. Skrudland2Lomakin

This is an excellent point, the Ho-Sang factor is a very real thing that we as a team need to keep in mind when we bench younger guys with little to no obvious reasoning. I know some posters will be like "Yada, yada, yada, young professional should take it on the chin like a man..." but I don't think you'll find an elite athlete in the world who likes sitting out, let alone one who is in his early 20's and given a run around on why he's scratched. My exaggerated fear is that if we keep Trotz on and he does cling to his veterans over rookies mindset that there is a long term damaging affect on the psyche and motivation of these younger guys. Now we're not nearly as bad as NYI at jerking our young guys around, but people acting like the only impact to type of wild scratching is the product on the ice at that moment are wrong.

OvechkinTooth likes this.
  7. WetHog

WetHog Out to Lunch

Gersich sitting is going to hurt RMNB's t-shirt sales. :laugh:

Eazy for Kuzy likes this.
  8. OvechkinTooth

I've been supporting Trotz for three years of his stint in DC but after the last playoffs leaning towards his departure. No needed output and strange methods of players development

9. Lindemann

Lindemann Registered User

Play extremely well, get scratched. The Trotz way

Unless of course you’re a grinder, then it doesn’t matter what you do

We need speed in the playoffs Trotz... speed, it killed us that past 2 years

10. Empty Goal Net

Empty Goal Net Registered User

We know only what we see and what we hear the coaches and players say. What we don't know is what each player has been told - in this case, what the coaches are looking for when they're on the ice, and why they are sitting or playing in a particular match. I'm hoping that these decisions are based on a coherent assessment of individual players' strengths/weaknesses (including dings) and the night's match-up. Gersich is still learning the Caps' system. Maybe he's been told to pay attention to specific aspects of the game like positioning for outlet passes as he watches tonight.

I'm glad Vrana is in.

11. zappa4ever

zappa4ever Music is the Best!

Y'all are reading WAY too much in not giving Gersich a sweater for tonight... for all we know Trotz told Gersich the plan before last game of how he's going to use him down the stretch, not to mention Trotz has a handful of players to juggle in and out of the lineup. It's simply how the stretch goes for every team with the expanded roster heading to the playoffs
    One game isn't going to make or break the kid, I'm sure he's thrilled that he's even gotten in to any game this season; next fall if he gets yo-yo'd in and out of the lineup then maybe those concerns become legit
    Also, reading too much into a coach's PC sound bites after every game ain't necessarily the best way to draw conclusions

12. trick9

trick9 Registered User

Someone surprised?

Trotz doesn't care if you created 6-7 scoring chances in a game. Gersich turned the puck over in the offensive zone in the 3rd period so that's an automatic scratch. That's his way of developing young forwards.

13. Skrudland2Lomakin

1. I don't think either of us are speaking specifically about this one instance but rather the greater trend of kids like Vrana, Djoos, Stephenson, and now Gersich being inexplicably scratched time and time again. The trend is real, young guys get the hook for little no reason, older guys are given an infinite leash, and Trotz spits off about "accountability" or something.

2. One game actually is a pretty big deal for Gersich, after tonight there are 4 games left in the regular season, all against playoff teams or teams chasing the last wild card spot in their conference. If we actually plan on utilizing Gersich in the playoffs he needs as much time as possible. This is not a mid-November scratching, this is a kid with only one more year on his ELC after this season who has literally one game under his built.

3. Momentum is a real thing. Savvy guys like Kuzy can come back after sitting and light it up, but Gersich has one NHL game to his name. I think we can all agree there were some very good things in that one game, I don't know why you would want to stagger the momentum of a kid who had a few scoring chances in his first game by scratching him for the worst opponent left on our schedule and then maybe throwing him out there against the back-to-back SC Champions. The kid should be given this game as a confidence boost. See if you can net him his first points, Carolina is already one step onto the golf course at this point. Rather we're either going to not see him again or put him out there against the defending SC champs, the defending Western Conference champs, or two teams clawing to secure a spot in the playoffs.

14. g00n

g00n He'd have gotten away with it, too

I assume moves like this are just a part of giving all the rotating players some time to keep everyone somewhat involved down the stretch. I wouldn't overreact to it. Yet.

15. CapitalsCupFantasy

CapitalsCupFantasy It’s Go Time!!

Devil’s Advocate, Caller of BS
    Bring on the outrage!

4-3 good guys!

Eazy for Kuzy likes this.
  16. Raikkonen

Raikkonen In GMBT we trust

Shiney new toy syndrome. Why should we be worried about Gersich when there is a roster full of adult NHL players whom are the ones to fix? There is Vrana, Trotz should be getting him ready for playoffs, not thinking about Gersich. I'm almost shocked by some of you.

17. Langway

Langway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think you mean scratch and hope for the best. I don't think Gersich was ever seriously in their plans for the playoffs and it's probably unrealistic to drop him into either a scoring-line or how they typically use the fourth line. You'd hope his hustle on the forecheck would be valued but there are some complicating factors against him.

I also wouldn't assume Grubauer gets the start vs. PIT. That may ride on how this game goes for Holtby. He plays well enough tonight and I think he gets that start in the hopes that they pave the way for him to be the G1 starter.

18. Eazy for Kuzy

Eazy for Kuzy Forever a Caps fan

I would definitely consider starting Grubauer against the Penguins to see if he does better.

19. Midnight Judges

Midnight Judges Registered User

Eh maybe. I just think the kid played hard and earned himself another jersey. I don't have a problem with prioritizing Vrana over Gersich. The real head scratcher to me is DSP. I have no idea why he gets a sweater. I do not know what his qualities are.

20. calicapsfan

calicapsfan NFA

editor
    I would pile on here and say I don't know what the qualities are that earn any player a sweater other than veteran status. If what mattered was performance, several guys would've sat this year. That's what's so disconcerting.

21. txpd

txpd Registered User

Home Page:
    DSP gets PK time. I imagine the reasons he plays are different than the reasons Vrana or Gershich would.

22. peterthegreat12

peterthegreat12 Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No need to get too worried yet. I have to believe Gersich will get a few more games in and may very well end up in the line-up during the playoffs. Trotz is trying to create competition in that bottom six so we shall see.

23. OvechkinTooth

I mean its not like good playoff teams dont care about newly signed kids while fighting for playoff spot or preparing for upcoming run. Tolvanen in Nsh, Borgstrom in FLA, Donato in Bos etc etc etc. If you have a good young player you'd better find a spot for him in the lineup. That's what good coaches do. Not keeping bums like Brooksie the Wood who aint able to keep up even with zamboni's speed over Djoos who regularly showcased flashes of creativity when he was feeling that confidence.

Skrudland2Lomakin likes this.
  24. Skrudland2Lomakin

Yeah I don't understand this idea that successful teams can't be both preparing for the playoffs and trying out their younger players. If we are looking for the best roster should we not examine all possible solutions? Has anyone felt like they absolutely love the roster we have right now? Probably not, why not continue to explore options?

25. Skrudland2Lomakin

The real line up I'd like to try out. I'd keep DSP in. I get the value he adds, I'd just swap him to RW. I'd drop Chiasson, I'd put both Vrana and Gersich in. I'd tag Jerabek in for Orpik. Scratches would be Connolly, Orpik, Chiasson.

I'm not sold on the idea of Jerabek for Orpik but I'd like to see what this fast defense really does with more than just a one game sample like the Stars game.

OvechkinTooth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.