Player Discussion Hunter 'Just Needs Poirier' Shinkaruk

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
He made pouty remarks about Calgary after the draft - I say pouty because I only remember the tone not the content.

Doubt it translates directly to "attitude problem"

The concerns about his attitude came before his remarks about the Flames.

A number of the pre-draft reports said something along the lines that he's got a lot of offensive upside, but he had a bit of a chip on his shoulders that some scouts were concerned about. After the Flames passed on him and he made those remarks, it sort of backed those reports up.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He made pouty remarks about Calgary after the draft - I say pouty because I only remember the tone not the content.

Doubt it translates directly to "attitude problem"
the attitude/character questions were there before the draft, it was believed that was why he fell so far when some thought he was a top 10 talent. The comments just reinforced that belief.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
This was a great trade for us based on need alone. Hopefully he pans out.

Yeah even if it works out to be somewhat lateral, Granlund did not have a future at centre with the Flames if the long term goal was to develop Bennett in that position, and it looks like it is.

I think Granlund's floor might be higher than Shinkaruk but Hunter's ceiling is higher even if it might be a bit more of a stretch to reach it.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Is he our top prospect now?

God, I hope not.

This guy is getting so overrated :laugh: He's a good prospect, but he's definitely not odds-on to become a top-six player as some Vancouver fans would have you believe. I wouldn't even bet on him becoming the best LW out of our prospects right now.

Shinkaruk is not some blue-chip prospect. We have one of those and that's Jon Gillies.

Good value for Granlund, especially considering the danger of losing Granlund to waivers next year, but the hysteria this trade has caused among Vancouver fans is a testament to how weak their prospect pool is more than it is to Shinkaruk's greatness.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Always had a sort of a Rob Schremp feel about Shinkaruk, I definitely hope I'm wrong. Admittedly I've seen him play very little. All the scouting reports seem to suggest he's not a "Burkie type" player at all which makes this trade a bit strange IMO. Granlund's path at center ice was pretty much blocked here so he was expendable, just rather wish he'd been included as a sweetener in a package for some goaltending or a that top 6 winger.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I'd have him in a 3-way tie for 3rd-5th with Klimmer and Poirier until he shows he can still score on the offensively inept Heat

Hunter Shinkaruk brings something special to the Flames. I don't think I have ever seen a set of hands as quick as his especially in close.

I have seen allot of great shots Sakic, Hull, Wendell, Kurri, Gretzky and none of them had hands that quick. He is going to great things if he can put a little more power in his legs and give his coaches and mentors the respect they deserve.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Naw,

Janko
Gillies
Kylington
Andersson
Hickey
Poirier
Mangiapane
McDonald

all are ahead of Hunter in my eyes.

Shinkaruk is however ahead of Klimchuk.

Many have Janko way too high on the list. Janko at best limits out as a second line center. He is still 2-3 years away from the NHL physically.

Prospect List:
Gilles
Kylington
Poirier/Shinkaruk
Anderssen
Janko/Klimchuck

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Many have Janko way too high on the list. Janko at best limits out as a second line center. He is still 2-3 years away from the NHL physically.

Prospect List:
Gilles
Kylington
Poirier/Shinkaruk
Anderssen
Janko/Klimchuck

Janko's our wildcard
29qjv47.gif

He'll either peak nicely for the Flames and be top 6, be a defensive first bottom 6C, be an AHL centre or never play for our organization :laugh: It's really a toss-up at this time.

I agree with your list. Gillies is clearly our best prospect by a country mile. Kylington has the most game-breaking potential; they get 1/2. Flames have 4 picks from that 2013 draft :laugh: let's add Drouin so we own 1/6th of the first round of that draft :laugh:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
be an AHL centre or never play for our organization

At his absolute worst, Jankowski will be a bigger, stronger Granlund. Guy who couldn't translate his offense to the NHL or drive possession, but has enough talent/IQ to make it on the fringe. At his best, Jankowski will be what Jason Spezza is for the stars right now and what Backstrom is for the Capitals, a 1B center who's only a cut below a true elite #1. Carter and Krejci two other guys who come to mind. He's our best prospect from floor to ceiling unless you like gambling on goalies.

Shinkaruk I still see as too high a risk of busting period. Ceiling is about the same as Jankowski at a less valuable position, floor is career AHLer.

Last edited:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

Prospect List:
Gilles
Kylington
Poirier/Shinkaruk
Anderssen
Janko/Klimchuck

I think McDonald deserves to be in that last grouping, but otherwise agree.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Janko's our wildcard
29qjv47.gif

He'll either peak nicely for the Flames and be top 6, be a defensive first bottom 6C, be an AHL centre or never play for our organization :laugh: It's really a toss-up at this time.

I agree with your list. Gillies is clearly our best prospect by a country mile. Kylington has the most game-breaking potential; they get 1/2. Flames have 4 picks from that 2013 draft :laugh: let's add Drouin so we own 1/6th of the first round of that draft :laugh:

I don't think Druoin is a good match in Calgary. I like Ritchie/Nichushkin from Dallas, Rantanen from Colorado, Timo Meier from the Sharks, Mantha from Detroit, or Yak from Edmonton before I took Drouin. All would likely cost less than what Stevie wants for Drouin.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
As 100TG said its potential that really makes this trade. The other part that I really like is that depending on what happens next year we very well could have lost Granlund to waivers whereas Hunter still has 2 years left of that. That and we don't have space for more middle/bottom nine centers. Scoring wingers definitely is an organizational need. Lots to like with the trade even if Granlund turns it on with Van.

Edit: oh and I like Baerstchi and Granlund for Anderssen and Shinkaruk. We should keep trading with Vancouver.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
At his absolute worst, Jankowski will be a bigger, stronger Granlund. Guy who couldn't translate his offense to the NHL or drive possession, but has enough talent to make it on the fringe.

At his best, Jankowski will be what Jason Spezza is for the stars right now and what Backstrom is for the Capitals, a 1B center who's only a cut below a true elite #1. Carter and Krejci two other guys who come to mind.

He's our best prospect from floor to ceiling unless you like gambling on goalies.

Shinkaruk I still see as too high a risk of busting period.

I don't agree on the Backstrom comment, one of the most underrated stars in our league; but you just reinforced what I said otherwise. He'll either be great, good, a non-factor or never play for this organization.

Fringe players are a dime a dozen. They tend to go to Europe to get paid :laugh:, I'm not willing to put all my eggs in the Janko basket quite yet and assume he'll be an NHL standout. We're still easily 2 years away from him even being a regular; although he might get a game at the end of the season.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I think McDonald deserves to be in that last grouping, but otherwise agree.

Everybody has their own thoughts and its cool when they are shared. I like Mangiapane but there are too many "what if's?" to make him a high prospect. Janko has some real skills I am just worried about him always being a bean pole and after that the issue regarding pace of the NHL game. Offensively he still looks a little stunted. Barely at a ppg.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Everybody has their own thoughts and its cool when they are shared. I like Mangiapane but there are too many "what if's?" to make him a high prospect. Janko has some real skills I am just worried about him always being a bean pole and after that the issue regarding pace of the NHL game. Offensively he still looks a little stunted. Barely at a ppg.

PPG is actually quite good considering his team and more importantly NCAA Division.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
But this isn't a Janko thread. It's about our new shiny toy in Shinkaruk! (spelling?)

I'm excited to have him. After the Flames moved Sven and Gaudreau moved to the NHL, our wing depth has been absolutely horrendous. Good to replenish the cupboard with a kid that might have some good upside. His speed's great and his scoring's elite. Excellent add in my opinion to a fairly unimpressive cupboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad