Hungary: Hungarian Hockey Expands Focus

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Hungarian Hockey Expands Focus

Snippet:

BUDAPEST – For many years, Hungarian ice hockey has stood at the doorway of increasing its prestige in the international hockey community. Currently ranked 21st in the world by the IIHF, Hungary has often watched in frustration as several lower-ranked nations have gained on its program while the Hungarians have been unable to close the gap between themselves and rivals ranked several spots higher.

Among outsiders, there are often two associated with Hungarian hockey. On the positive end, goaltender Levente Szuper represents the potential for Hungary to produce talent that is able to compete at the sport’s higher levels.

Budapest native Szuper was the first (and so far only) Hungarian-born and trained player ever to earn a spot on a National Hockey League game-day roster. While he never got to play in a game, the now 27-year-old netminder served as a backup goaltender for the Calgary Flames in nine games during the 2002-03 season. Last year, he and Alba Volan keeper Krisztian Budai provided second-place Hungary with some the top goaltending seen at the 2007 IIHF World Championship Division I Group B tournament....

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Hungary U-18 Promoted to Division 1

Hungary's U-18 Team Promoted

Snippet:

TALLINN, Estonia – Hungary won the top game of the IIHF World U18 Championship Division II Group B in Tallinn against Great Britain, 3-1, and earns promotion to Division I.

Great Britain swept through the tournament and was the only undefeated team before today’s clash against Hungary, which had won all games before except a surprising loss to Spain. But it was not Great Britain, after last year’s relegation to Division II, which won gold. The Hungarians won the mutual game 3-1 and deserved the win by outshooting the Britons 45-21. Istvan Bartalis, who plays junior hockey for Troja Ljungby in Sweden and was chosen as best forward of the tournament, was the man of the game by scoring the 1-1 and 3-1. Hungary won gold while Great Britain had to make do with silver.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Hockey's Future (Hungary)

The Budapest Stars hosted a tournament last week which included the following invited teams:

The Riverside Rangers (92) from Canada
Maryno (92) and Vastom (92) from Russia
Lorenskog from Norway
Maribor from Slovenia
KHL Zagreb from Croatia

The Budapest Stars' team reunited to include a couple of players that had played for the Stars years ago but are now playing in Sweden and Russia.

The Stars finished the tournament in first place and the top three scorers were all from Budapest:

Szergej Maszlov
Janos Hari
Illes Gallo

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Congrats Hungary, I was supporting Ukraine, but on the other hand I'm happy for Hungarians.:handclap:

In future Hungary will recieve a serious help: Janos Hari and Illes Gallo are great talents of NHL calibre.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Summary of Hungary's Performance in this year's WC Division 1B Tournament

Bill Meltzer's Across The Pond

Hungary has been a member of the international hockey community for the better part of a century. But apart from a last-place performance at the 1964 Olympics, the last time the Magyars played in an elite-level competition was nearly 70 years ago, when Hungary played at the 1939 IIHF World Championships in Switzerland.

After World War II, as the number of countries with hockey programs expanded, secondary divisions were created for the lesser powers to compete and attempt to work their way up to playing the world’s top countries. Hungary never made it – until now....

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
In future Hungary will recieve a serious help: Janos Hari and Illes Gallo are great talents of NHL calibre.

16 year old Janos Hari is heading to Denmark and should be on the Hungarian U20 team roster for Thursday's game against the Italians. They could use his help as the Hungarians lost to Austria yesterday and are in tough against the home team today.

Evolved83

Dec 12, 2008
16 year old Janos Hari is heading to Denmark and should be on the Hungarian U20 team roster for Thursday's game against the Italians. They could use his help as the Hungarians lost to Austria yesterday and are in tough against the home team today.

very cool... you got a link to there team site or something?

By the way, my last name is Kiraly :)

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
You can find information about Hungarian hockey and the national team here

Unfortunately, the addition of Hari didn’t help them avoid relegation. The result was probably expected as the national team had only 5 19 year olds and 8 18 year olds on the roster. The rest of team was made up of 16 and 17 year olds.

The 1989/1990 group is weak, but I think the 1991/1992 will be much better. I expect the national team will fare better at the U18 in Belarus in April and stay in Division 1.

machoki

Feb 24, 2009
Budapest
You can find information about Hungarian hockey and the national team here

Unfortunately, the addition of Hari didn’t help them avoid relegation. The result was probably expected as the national team had only 5 19 year olds and 8 18 year olds on the roster. The rest of team was made up of 16 and 17 year olds.

The 1989/1990 group is weak, but I think the 1991/1992 will be much better. I expect the national team will fare better at the U18 in Belarus in April and stay in Division 1.

Yes we're good, but it depends if Hari and Gallo will remain Hungarians... They were both very young to move. Janos's father said that his son will apply to be swedish. I don't know anything aboug Gallo.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Both Gallo and Hari are on the U18 Roster.

Kapusok: Hajek Márk (UTE), Hortay Olivér (Alba Volán), Rajna Miklós (NZ-Stars).

Hátvédek: Balogh Bálint (Alba Volán), Erdélyi Tamás (Dunaferr), Galsi Péter (Alba Volán), Gőz Balázs (Miskolc), Hetényi Péter (Red Bull Salzburg, AUT), Kiss Dániel (Dunaferr), Nagy Richárd (NZ-Stars), Varga Arnold (Dunaferr), Ványi Gergő (NZ-Stars), Zalavári Bence (UTE).

Csatárok: Fekti Ãdám (Red Bull Salzburg, AUT), Galló Illés (Belije Medvegyi, RUS), Hardi Richárd (NZ-Stars), Hári János (Färjestad, SWE), Hentes Kristóf (Kloten Flyers, SUI), Jankovics Péter (UTE), Komáromi Dávid (Dunaferr), Maszlov Szergej (NZ-Stars), Meretei Márkó (Alba Volán), Nemes Benjámin (NZ-Stars), Németh Attila (NZ-Stars), Papp Csaba (Dunaferr), Pavuk Attila (Dunaferr), Somogyi Balázs (Red Bull Salzburg, AUT), Strenk Hunor (NZ-Stars), Virág Tamás (Dunaferr).

This is probably the best group of young players to suit up for a Hungarian national team.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
The Hungarian U18 team played an exhibition game with Nitra’s U18 team in Budapest today. I believe all but two players listed in the previous post participated in the game today. Although the Hungarians lost 7 to 4, those that watched the game felt that the Hungarians did well against the slightly older Slovak squad.

After the game, the roster was trimmed down to 22. The following players were cut:

Goaltender: Hortay Olivér (Alba Volán
Defensemen: Galsi Péter (Alba Volán) and Gőz Balázs (Miskolc)
Forwards: Komáromi Dávid (Dunaferr), Meretei Márkó (Alba Volán), Papp Csaba (Dunaferr), Virág Tamás (Dunaferr).

Tamas Virag was a surprising cut as he led the Hungarian U18 league in scoring this year.

The final roster heading to Minsk is as follows:

Kapusok: Hajek Márk (UTE), Rajna Miklós (NZ-Stars).

Hátvédek: Balogh Bálint (Alba Volán), Erdélyi Tamás (Dunaferr), Hetényi Péter (Red Bull Salzburg, AUT), Kiss Dániel (Dunaferr), Nagy Richárd (NZ-Stars), Varga Arnold (Dunaferr), Ványi Gergő (NZ-Stars), Zalavári Bence (UTE).

Csatárok: Fekti Ãdám (Red Bull Salzburg, AUT), Galló Illés (Belije Medvegyi, RUS), Hardi Richárd (NZ-Stars), Hári János (Färjestad, SWE), Hentes Kristóf (Kloten Flyers, SUI), Jankovics Péter (UTE), Maszlov Szergej (NZ-Stars), Nemes Benjámin (NZ-Stars), Németh Attila (NZ-Stars), Pavuk Attila (Dunaferr), Somogyi Balázs (Red Bull Salzburg, AUT), Strenk Hunor (NZ-Stars)

This team is pretty young as 8 of the players were born in 1992 and another 3 were born in 1993.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
U18 Division 1 is over with Belarus finishing first. Hungary finished in third place. Janos Hari was voted the tournament’s best forward.

I was surprised to see 1993 born Benjamin Nemes lead the Hungarian team with 5 goals and 4 assists for 9 points. Linemate Richard Hardi followed with 8 points (2 goals) and Janos Hari had 7 points (3 goals). All three players will likely play in the U18 next year.

I was also surprised to see that Illes Gallo was only able to manage a goal and an assist in the tournament. I also expected more production from Attila Pavuk who scored only 1 goal. Adam Fekti & Sergej Maszlov were held scoreless.

11 players should return next year as 8 1992 born and 3 1993 born players were on this year’s roster. The team played well with the glaring exception of the third game. I think expectations next year will be alot greater.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
U18 Division 1 is over with Belarus finishing first. Hungary finished in third place. Janos Hari was voted the tournament’s best forward.

I was surprised to see 1993 born Benjamin Nemes lead the Hungarian team with 5 goals and 4 assists for 9 points. Linemate Richard Hardi followed with 8 points (2 goals) and Janos Hari had 7 points (3 goals). All three players will likely play in the U18 next year.

I was also surprised to see that Illes Gallo was only able to manage a goal and an assist in the tournament. I also expected more production from Attila Pavuk who scored only 1 goal. Adam Fekti & Sergej Maszlov were held scoreless.

11 players should return next year as 8 1992 born and 3 1993 born players were on this year’s roster. The team played well with the glaring exception of the third game. I think expectations next year will be alot greater.

Congrats to a great tournament. Do you think you might even get promoted next year?? Somehow after yesterday night I have a feeling that on a good night your U18team would defeat the Slovak U18 team.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Congrats to a great tournament. Do you think you might even get promoted next year?? Somehow after yesterday night I have a feeling that on a good night your U18team would defeat the Slovak U18 team.

The group of 1992-born players is the strongest group coming out of Hungary in quite some time. There are also some 1993-born players that are looking promising. Hungary was pretty close to winning the tournament this year with a fairly young team so I think expectations will be on promotion next year.

The top two scorers for Hungary in Belarus were born in 1993. Both players are members of the Budapest Stars which has some sort of a cooperative agreement with Nove Zamky. So both players also played a handful of games with the Slovakian club. It appears the experience is paying dividends.

I don’t know much about prospects born after 1993, but there will be an opportunity to get a glimpse of what is to come this week in Prague. The Hungarian U14 (1995 and younger) team will be in Prague this week for an international tournament. Teams from Slovakia, Russia, Sweden, Finland and North America will also be participating. Playing against teams from these countries will undoubtedly be a great challenge for them and should be a good experience regardless of the outcomes.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The group of 1992-born players is the strongest group coming out of Hungary in quite some time. There are also some 1993-born players that are looking promising. Hungary was pretty close to winning the tournament this year with a fairly young team so I think expectations will be on promotion next year.

The top two scorers for Hungary in Belarus were born in 1993. Both players are members of the Budapest Stars which has some sort of a cooperative agreement with Nove Zamky. So both players also played a handful of games with the Slovakian club. It appears the experience is paying dividends.

I don’t know much about prospects born after 1993, but there will be an opportunity to get a glimpse of what is to come this week in Prague. The Hungarian U14 (1995 and younger) team will be in Prague this week for an international tournament. Teams from Slovakia, Russia, Sweden, Finland and North America will also be participating. Playing against teams from these countries will undoubtedly be a great challenge for them and should be a good experience regardless of the outcomes.

Well, that sounds good about next year, good luck to you, I just hope that Slovakia won´t get relegated and we won´t have to face you next year.

Yes, I´ve heard about the co-operation between Nove Zamky and Budapest Stars, but I think what helpes you even more is to have your best junior players playing in top junior European leagues like Janos Hari in Sweden, it´s definitely a better route than Slovakian juniors.

Interesting to hear about that tournament, do you have anymore info?? For example which team/s from Slovakia should be participating? Because I don´t know much about the Slovak 1995 borns, but I do know that there are two guys who seem to be real stand-outs right now.

One of them is MHK Dubnica´s RW Patrik Koyš, who has spent most of the season in the Slovak U15 league and he´s the leading scorer with 122points (56G,66A) and a +/- rating of +129 in just 39 games despite the fact that most of the kids playing in the league are 93/94 borns. He has also played in 8 U18 Division 1 league games collecting 12 points (8G,5A) and finished the season with a +16 rating. Dubnica has been promoted to the U18 Extraliga and he might actually get a lot of ice-time next year.

The other one is son of (now) former MHC Martin player Jaroslav Török- RW Tomáš Török who has played 2 games in the U14 league (4G,5A,+10), 14 games in the U15 league (9G,8A,+19) and he has spent most of the 2nd half of the season plazing with MHC Martin in the U18 Extraliga and his numbers are quite impressive for a kid his age-12G,18A for 30 points in 26 games and +20. And I think that he was the youngets player in the whole league. He was already playing on the top line of the U18 team this year and if he keeps it up, he might even get a glimpse of the U20 league next year.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Regarding Patrik Koyš & Tomáš Török...

....They both sound very impressive. Unfortunately only Torok is listed on the roster.

Here is the Slovak Roster

The first games begin tomorrow. The Hungarian team is a collection of the best 1995/1996-born players playing in Hungary. Janos Hari’s brother Norbert, born in 1995 and who also plays in Sweden, is not participating in this tournament for Hungary.

I think this group from Hungary may have a difficult time against such high caliber competition. The one Hungarian to watch for is Vilmos Gallo, younger brother of Illes. He was born in 1996 and led the U14 league in scoring playing for a relatively weak team - I believe he is the only member of that team (Zalai Titanok) on the Hungarian roster.

The goaltender from Alba Volan, Balazs Berenyi, recently won the best goaltender award in an international tournament in Slovenia. I'm sure he will be tested thoroughly in Prague. :)

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Regarding Patrik Koyš & Tomáš Török...

....They both sound very impressive. Unfortunately only Torok is listed on the roster.

Here is the Slovak Roster

The first games begin tomorrow. The Hungarian team is a collection of the best 1995/1996-born players playing in Hungary. Janos Hari’s brother Norbert, born in 1995 and who also plays in Sweden, is not participating in this tournament for Hungary.

I think this group from Hungary may have a difficult time against such high caliber competition. The one Hungarian to watch for is Vilmos Gallo, younger brother of Illes. He was born in 1996 and led the U14 league in scoring playing for a relatively weak team - I believe he is the only member of that team (Zalai Titanok) on the Hungarian roster.

The goaltender from Alba Volan, Balazs Berenyi, recently won the best goaltender award in an international tournament in Slovenia. I'm sure he will be tested thoroughly in Prague. :)

Thanks a lot for the info, sounds really like a great tournament:)
But about the Slovak roster, I see a few familiar names there and it looks like it is a selection of 1994/1995 born players playing for Slovakia.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I googled Patrik Koys and found the following link from the same tournament:

Quebec Roster

Strange coincidence?

Edit:

No coincidence...

..it is the same player:

ECS Quebec Roster

eh, interesting, I´m guessing that that team needed one more player and that´s why he´ll be playing for them.

I remember there was a tournament last year in the USA were 94´borns played for Slovakia and there wasn´t enough players, so they were joined by some Americans.

Btw where do you know where it is possible to find the results from the tournament? I think that somewhere on the website it says that there will be live stats on pointstreak,but I can´t find it.

EDIT:Looking at that roster again, Robert Varga is Slovakian as well and Martin Pavlicek might be either Slovak or Czech....

Last edited:

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Tournament Results can be found here.

Results so far today:

Toronto-Hungary: 5-1
East Coast Selects-Slovakia: 2-1
Krylia Sovetov-Quebec: 4-2
Czech East-Sweden: 3-4
Czech West-Finland: 2-3
AK BARS-West Coast Selects: 3-0

Hungary plays West Coast Selects tonight, while Slovakia plays Sweden. Hungarian born Norbert Hari is on the Swedish Roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->