Hull to NBC

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I love this move. He is a recognizeable name in the sport off the ice. Maybe he can say or do something stupid, but not too stupid to get people talking.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Good move. We need recognizable people in the booths with strong opinions. It also helps that Hull is "American" (hey, he played for Team USA). I would like to see Keith Jones out and guys like Chelios, Roenick, and Ferraro in. Ferraro isn't as recognizable, but he is a pretty good analyst IMO.

Everyone on these shows is too nice. Nobody says anything that controversial. Look at Don Cherry, half of Canada can't stand the guy but they'll watch him every week just to see if he'll say something that will piss them off.

xevious

Jan 9, 2004
TX
Visit site
Good for Brett. I've been hoping he would land a TV job since he retired. He's a great personality.

Did it say if he would still be working for the Stars org?

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
Good move. We need recognizable people in the booths with strong opinions. It also helps that Hull is "American" (hey, he played for Team USA). I would like to see Keith Jones out and guys like Chelios, Roenick, and Ferraro in. Ferraro isn't as recognizable, but he is a pretty good analyst IMO.

Everyone on these shows is too nice. Nobody says anything that controversial. Look at Don Cherry, half of Canada can't stand the guy but they'll watch him every week just to see if he'll say something that will piss them off.

what about Bill O'Reilly on the set? :sarcasm:

kingsfan25

Jul 25, 2003
Canada
Visit site
5 broadcast in, he will realize that he just can't be opinionated to the level that he used to and retire so as not to be a burden to the rest of the panel.

NYYmt62

Aug 26, 2005
Islander Country
Well he certainly is a strong personality. Should be interesting to hear him during games. Though I am sure they could have picked someone who would have done a better job.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Hmm...

Well he certainly is a strong personality. Should be interesting to hear him during games. Though I am sure they could have picked someone who would have done a better job.

Still doesn't compare to the NFL. With names like Bradshaw, Long, Young, Irvin, Johnson the NBC hockey team is still lacking that name recognition.

The way I look at it, the NHL's tv men are all guys who were not the top 2 or 3 guys on their team. Ferarro had a very good career, but never was he the top 2 or 3 guy on his team. NHL needs guys who had careers like Yzerman, Messier, Francis, Stevens, Bourque, Roy, etc. to be their tv guys. But, all of these guys either have other plans like coaching or front office or are simply too nice and bland to be good on tv.

I'd rather have Mike Ritcher tell me what it takes to win a cup that listen to Healy's nonsense. How bad is it that the 2 backup goalies who were part of the great 94 cup final are the ones on tv, in Healy and Whitmore, while the starters are not for their reasons.

A good analyst is like Bradshaw, be funny, have charisma, but be able to analyze the game film and give an opinion of what the team needs to do. Obviously, it's easier in football, as you can break down each play and say the team needs to run, pass protect, go deep, etc. While in hockey, it's more about flow than set plays.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Still doesn't compare to the NFL. With names like Bradshaw, Long, Young, Irvin, Johnson the NBC hockey team is still lacking that name recognition.

The way I look at it, the NHL's tv men are all guys who were not the top 2 or 3 guys on their team. Ferarro had a very good career, but never was he the top 2 or 3 guy on his team. NHL needs guys who had careers like Yzerman, Messier, Francis, Stevens, Bourque, Roy, etc. to be their tv guys. But, all of these guys either have other plans like coaching or front office or are simply too nice and bland to be good on tv.

I'd rather have Mike Ritcher tell me what it takes to win a cup that listen to Healy's nonsense. How bad is it that the 2 backup goalies who were part of the great 94 cup final are the ones on tv, in Healy and Whitmore, while the starters are not for their reasons.

A good analyst is like Bradshaw, be funny, have charisma, but be able to analyze the game film and give an opinion of what the team needs to do. Obviously, it's easier in football, as you can break down each play and say the team needs to run, pass protect, go deep, etc. While in hockey, it's more about flow than set plays.

But that's more of the exception than the rule. Overall most analysts in every sport weren't top players. That's because a top player may not have the qualities than a color man needs where an average does.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

We just need to wait for Roenick and Shanahan to retire. They'd be excellent on TV.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Let me guess, he applied to CBC but they rejected him so he chose to accept NBCs offer :sarcasm:

Well, if you ask Brett Hull, he's American before he's Canadian. So it would have to be the other way around.

Schitzo

Jul 29, 2006
There's a big difference between a great hockey player and a great TV personality. I cringe at the idea of Ryan Smyth ever getting a TV gig.
"Yeah, the Habs need to come out and give 110% tonight. If they can play a full 60 minutes of hockey, the breaks will go their way. They need to keep their heads up out there and stick to the game plan. They should try and give 110%. Don't get caught taking bad penalties, because it makes it hard to give 110% out there".

Edit: Alternately, you can always try and hire the most disfunctional players possible. When Belfour retires, give him a Mic and an open bar, and just tape the **** that comes out. Bonus points if he punches the hotseat guest in the head, double bonus if he tries to bribe the play-by-play guy with a billion dollars to give him more airtime.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I'm calling it right now, this move isn't going to help out the Ratings.

Will having Brett Hull make for a more informative, entertaining broadcast? My answer is YES, which makes this a very good move (and an inevitable one). If NBC didn't pick him up, one of the Canadian networks would have for sure.

streakie

Dec 8, 2005
Dallas
www.flickr.com
Stars fans have been entertained by Hull as the Color guy to Ralph Strangis when Daryl "Razor" Reaugh works Color for Vs games. You guys are in for a treat. And yes he will still work for the Stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->