Hull storms out of practise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklez

Jan 1, 2004
Behind the bench!
Visit site
I don't know what he expects, all he does is float. I've never seen him race for the puck, or go into a puck battle, or backcheck aggresively. He slouches around the ice looking for a one-timer all the time. You think he'd wake up after being scratched, but it just makes him more arrogant.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
So he shot his mouth off, he fired back a poorly worded retort to a stupid question. The reporter was trying to pull of a piece of s*** emotional blackmail type question. The reporter was hiding behind the "fans'" desire to know: BS he just wanted something to give himself to write to make some money. It was a cheap a$$ stunt and it deserved the contemptuous reply it got. Yeah, Hull shouldn't have said those words, I'm sure he'd have said nothing at all with hindsight. While it was a poor choice for a retort its not that hard to read through the words to get the real sentiment:"Mr reporter - just **** off and leave me alone". Honestly this has very little to do with the fans, they are just a word that got mixed in the sentence.

Talk about over reaction. Really :banghead:

Knucklez

Jan 1, 2004
Behind the bench!
Visit site
me2 said:
So he shot his mouth off, he fired back a poorly worded retort to a stupid question. The reporter was trying to pull of a piece of s*** emotional blackmail type question. The reporter was hiding behind the "fans'" desire to know: BS he just wanted something to give himself to write to make some money. It was a cheap a$$ stunt and it deserved the contemptuous reply it got. Yeah, Hull shouldn't have said those words, I'm sure he'd have said nothing at all with hindsight. While it was a poor choice for a retort its not that hard to read through the words to get the real sentiment:"Mr reporter - just **** off and leave me alone". Honestly this has very little to do with the fans, they are just a word that got mixed in the sentence.

Talk about over reaction. Really :banghead:
The reporter was only doing his job. I'm sure you have certain things that you're required to do wherever you work. Well, the reporter's job is to ask questions. Hull needs to think before he speaks.

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
guinness said:
Why do some of you Canadians fans take things so personally? The way you're acting makes it sound like Hull shot your dog.

Hull is playing poorly, Hull is upset, with a bad attitude, and Hull made a stupid comment. The coaches will either bench him or he'll pull his head out of his ass and shut and play.

Ahhh there is American fans responding too who seem equally pissed at Hull. Same with fans from other places.

I can never hate Hull though. I dont like the comment, but I cant hate a guy who stated that 75% of the players are over-paid. I dislike a guy like Pronger more who comes back stating "And Im sure he is not one of them hey" Well you all are Chris, but by the 25% are not logic Hull used he was not one of them as he has never been one of the highest paid guys like Pronger has and Hull is one of the greates scorers ever. (sorry that rant took me a little off topic)

Irresponsible stupid comment by Hull. I have never been one mad at him for playin for the US. It gives me a reason to bug my American friends saying they need our rejects :) and in reality he grew up in the US and is probably more American than Canadian. They wanted him when Canada didnt, so why wouldnt he spend the rest of his international career playing for them?

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
It's not the fact he is declining to comment, it's HOW he declines the comment. But apparently he really doesn't care anymore, if those consequences escape him.

Either way, during a time when hockey isn't very popular, ESPECIALLY in the United States, you don't want fans to hear they're unimportant. There's a bigger picture than just "Oh, well, he doesn't want to talk, and it's the media's fault for doing their job and trying to get as much out of him as they can."

Isn't it also the medias job to report things responsibly? I think it is likely that they did spin this and blow it out of proportion. The sad thing is that this could actually affect the guys career. just because he didnt want to talk at that time, does not mean he wouldnt have at all. He could have been more tactical, but sometimes people need their space.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
#66 said:
Guys like Hull and JR just talk and talk and talk. How they have any validity any more is beyond me.
I don't have a clue either. The hockey news doesn't help as it kisses their asses at every opportunity. They never want their star to fade so the best way to be a superstar when the skills decline is to talk like an all-star. I do not call Hull a traitor, it was very fair that he chose the US- they gave him an opportunity. I am even more happy today that he is part of the US camp causing a disturbance and being a distraction. Credit to Ron Wilson for recognizing the passenger that is Brett. He will not be in the lineup for the quarters and why the hell would he be? He is a set piece player, a luxury item. The US team cannot afford luxury items right now.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Knucklez said:
The reporter was only doing his job. I'm sure you have certain things that you're required to do wherever you work. Well, the reporter's job is to ask questions. Hull needs to think before he speaks.
I do not agree, it was unprofessional to use the ploy and ruse of it being for the fans so a reporter could get his piece. It almost exonerates Hull in this situation if he was not a purebread idiot to begin with.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Hull's actions have spoken louder than his words. He didn't bother to stick around to shake hands after a game, instead chose to pout on the bench. That shows poor sportsmanship. He storms out before practice finishes because his poor play relegates him to the pressbox. That shows him putting himself before the team. Wilson has every right to bench Hull after his antics, and Hull acting like a baby about it doesn't help things.
Hull is a goal scorer, that's his game. But if the puck's not going in, you have to find other ways to contribute. Lemieux hasn't scored a goal, yet he has found ways to help out in the defensive end and has gone after pucks when they are loose. Hull? He refuses to pay the price to get the puck out and decides to float during the games in order to get that perfect pass for his one-timer. He's one of the veterans on the team. So much for leadership, and so much for putting the team first.
Hull needs a reality check, and Wilson's giving him one.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
pavel datsyuk said:
I find it funny that all of these canadian posters are calling Hull a traitor.

The 3rd leading goal scorer of all time was never selected by any junior program in Canada to represent his country, and was shut out for many years. Since he had never been selected by Canada, and also since he barely ever lived in canada, he decided to play for the US.

Exactly.

The guy was 20 years old, had already been bypassed twice in the NHL draft and never had any opportunity to play internationally. Then the US offers him the opportunity of a lifetime to showcase his skills in the biggest junior tourney in the world with dozens of scouts watching. Is he seriously a traitor if he doesn't turn that offer down? Especially when he spent half his childhood growing up in the US and identified with both countries equally.

Once he played for the US once, he could never play for Canada again. So it's not like he's 'choosing' to shun us ... after 1984, the US was the only team he could play for, even if he wanted to suit up for Canada.

(lone)Yashinfan#79

technically he played a few games in Calgary before being dealt to St. Louis... i think Hull not playing for canadian teams is more a matter of the allure of big bucks that most/all canadian cities can't/won't shell out than some anti-canada rhetoric...does anyone honestly believe any of the political b.s.?

Knucklez

Jan 1, 2004
Behind the bench!
Visit site
I have respect and admiration for what Wilson is doing. He's benching Hull in what are probably his last international hockey games, because he's doing nothing to help the team. It shows that Wilson is putting the team before the personal agendas of it's players, and I like that a lot.

Unfortunately, there isn't much else to like about the American team.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Fincan said:
Isn't it also the medias job to report things responsibly? I think it is likely that they did spin this and blow it out of proportion. The sad thing is that this could actually affect the guys career. just because he didnt want to talk at that time, does not mean he wouldnt have at all. He could have been more tactical, but sometimes people need their space.

Unfortunately, that's not entirely accurate, either. The media is a business just like everything else. They make a living out of underlining blowing up quotes, sensationalizing stories, and catching shocking events. Should they control themselves? In my opinion, yes.

How many of us would have read the article if it read "Hull declines to comment on his chance of being a healthy scratch." I'm pretty sure the editor would have told the reporter he either gets something interesting going, or he can go to the next local hockey camp to say how well little Timmy is doing against his 8 year-old peers.

It's a sad cycle. We want the media to treat issues with a sense of humanity, but at the same time we want news we find interesting. The ambitious reporters wish to cater to the latter. It's either this or we return to reprimanding reporters for being too emotional by saying, "Oh the humanity!"

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
MS said:
Exactly.

The guy was 20 years old, had already been bypassed twice in the NHL draft and never had any opportunity to play internationally. Then the US offers him the opportunity of a lifetime to showcase his skills in the biggest junior tourney in the world with dozens of scouts watching. Is he seriously a traitor if he doesn't turn that offer down? Especially when he spent half his childhood growing up in the US and identified with both countries equally.

Once he played for the US once, he could never play for Canada again. So it's not like he's 'choosing' to shun us ... after 1984, the US was the only team he could play for, even if he wanted to suit up for Canada.

Good point. I'm an american so obviously I have some biased involved, but the guy didnt turn his back on his country or is a traitor like most percieve him to be. He took the best oppetunity for him to make the NHL and follow his dream of playing in the NHL. If Canada had asked him to play and he turned them down then I could see the hatred, but he just did what was best for him when Canada didnt give him an oppertunity.

As for the comments I was pretty mad at first, but Brett was obviously upset at the reporter for asking him questions after hes obviously frustrated about not being able to suit up. Now he should have thought before he spoke but how many of us when were extremely pissed off are able to think clearly. I really hope he takes back what he said, but knowing Brett over his career he doesnt usually apologize for his comments.

SopelFan*

I wish I knew the guy who cut Hull from Team Canada years ago. He saved us years of BS from a pompous (deleted).

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
Unfortunately, that's not entirely accurate, either. The media is a business just like everything else. They make a living out of underlining blowing up quotes, sensationalizing stories, and catching shocking events. Should they control themselves? In my opinion, yes.

How many of us would have read the article if it read "Hull declines to comment on his chance of being a healthy scratch." I'm pretty sure the editor would have told the reporter he either gets something interesting going, or he can go to the next local hockey camp to say how well little Timmy is doing against his 8 year-old peers.

It's a sad cycle. We want the media to treat issues with a sense of humanity, but at the same time we want news we find interesting. The ambitious reporters wish to cater to the latter. It's either this or we return to reprimanding reporters for being too emotional by saying, "Oh the humanity!"

I guess the difference is between what there job is and what it should be. unfortuanately they have made sensationalization their job, but it is not the ideal.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
MS said:
Exactly.

Exactly it's not our fault Hull wasn't good enough for us.

Macman

May 15, 2004
pavel datsyuk said:
Now, Call Dany Heatley a traitor....he should be playing for the German team right? He was Born in West Germany, January 21st 1981.

Or how about Robyn Regehr?....Born in Brazil?

To say Heatley is German and Regehr is Brazilian is like saying I'm French because I like their food. Both were born in those countries to Canadian parents working briefly there. That makes them Canadian citizens.

The Hull thing is a lot different.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Fincan said:
I guess the difference is between what there job is and what it should be. unfortuanately they have made sensationalization their job, but it is not the ideal.

Exactly, and we'll be hard pressed to find a medium as long as people are willing to pay more for a sensationalized story.

Macman

May 15, 2004
SopelFan said:
I wish I knew the guy who cut Hull from Team Canada years ago. He saved us years of BS from a pompous (deleted).

I seem to think it was Dave King.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Fincan said:
Ahhh there is American fans responding too who seem equally pissed at Hull. Same with fans from other places.

I can never hate Hull though. I dont like the comment, but I cant hate a guy who stated that 75% of the players are over-paid. I dislike a guy like Pronger more who comes back stating "And Im sure he is not one of them hey" Well you all are Chris, but by the 25% are not logic Hull used he was not one of them as he has never been one of the highest paid guys like Pronger has and Hull is one of the greates scorers ever. (sorry that rant took me a little off topic)

Irresponsible stupid comment by Hull. I have never been one mad at him for playin for the US. It gives me a reason to bug my American friends saying they need our rejects :) and in reality he grew up in the US and is probably more American than Canadian. They wanted him when Canada didnt, so why wouldnt he spend the rest of his international career playing for them?

The Canadian comment was because of the posters that called him a traitor. I didn't realize relations were so bad between the US and Canada that if a guy that has dual citizenship plays for the US when Canada didn't want him is then somehow branded a traitor. Or is it because Hull gave up his Canadian citizenship? Either way, it still seems dumb to call him a traitor.

Hull is Hull, he said something stupid, it made have been taken out of context, or maybe he really meant it. I should care, but I'm not that surprised considering the source (Brett Hull). It's not like the Canadian NHL players probably care that much about the fans right now either, it's all about the money. Remember when McCabe put his foot in his mouth too?

BugsyMalone

Jul 16, 2004
NJ
Rabid Ranger said:
While I don't think Hull's comments were tactful, I'm not surprised he's pissed off at the situation. He's a veteran who has alot of pride, and I'm sure being benched and all stings. TSN is just following a strange Canadian pattern of pointing out all that ails Brett Hull, typically throwing out the word "traitor" for good measure. All I can say is if this doesn't motivate Hull, nothing will. I fully expect him to be in the line-up in the quarters, and I think he'll be a differance maker.

I agree. Hull was already doing nothing so this was a move in an attempt to light a fire under Hull's rear. From his comments - albiet uncalled for - he cares and is pissed about his status on the team. Great move by Wilson!

Coach Ron Wilson was asked if he'd put Hull back in the lineup for a quarter-final elimination game Tuesday. He couldn't say that he would, adding lineup decisions will be made game day. That's not the vote of confidence Hull was looking for.

Wilson would look like a motivational genius if Hull scores a big goal and the Americans win Tuesday. Hull could then take the post-game podium and break his silence, smiling all the while. But if that doesn't happen, one of the greatest players to ever wear the red, white and blue will exit the international stage with a sour taste in his mouth.

The situation isn't harming the team, said Weight.

``He has done nothing to affect our chemistry in a bad way,'' said Weight. ``He has been fine.

``When he gets out there again, he'll still be the most dangerous player on the ice.''

berney fkaj

Sep 21, 2003
Around
guinness said:
The Canadian comment was because of the posters that called him a traitor. I didn't realize relations were so bad between the US and Canada that if a guy that has dual citizenship plays for the US when Canada didn't want him is then somehow branded a traitor. Or is it because Hull gave up his Canadian citizenship? Either way, it still seems dumb to call him a traitor.

Hull is Hull, he said something stupid, it made have been taken out of context, or maybe he really meant it. I should care, but I'm not that surprised considering the source (Brett Hull). It's not like the Canadian NHL players probably care that much about the fans right now either, it's all about the money. Remember when McCabe put his foot in his mouth too?

Yep anyone here would/should of done the same in his shoes. He just wanted to play and they gave him the chance. If he put on USA's jersey and then once he became the player he is/was and switched to Canada,then that would be a trader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad