Hugh Jessimen Vs. Lee Stempniak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
guitaraholic: I have seen them both play which is why I responded to this thread. You claim to understand the difference between a player being a good college player and an NHL prospect but you contradict that by repeatedly beating people over the head with your quote from the Dartmouth coach - a quote which has no baring on the discussion about the better prospect.

It looks like you've got an axe to grind with the overall Blues prospect rankings on this site and maybe that's justified. I haven't looked at all the prospect rankings but I would suggest you take them with a grain of salt. It's just an opinion and I don't think anybody takes them as the be all and end all regarding prospect rankings.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I personally don't think very much of Jessiman anyway to begin with, but in regards to the main crutch of this thread:

What makes you think we didn't factor Stempniak isn't the equation?

Just because he was not listed in the write-up does not mean we ignored him. I for one know of Lee and thought about him when I compared him to other teams'.

modestfwd

May 17, 2004
Stich said:
This stuff about Jessiman being triple teamed is quite hillarious. Had opposing teams actually put 3 players on Jessiman and left 2 players to cover the other 4 Big Green players, Dartmouth would have won the National Championship. Easily.

Teams may have focused their defense on Jessiman. I have no doubt about that. But when you sit there and obviously lie about what happened on the ice then why should anything you say be taken seriously?

Are you actually saying that he WASN'T double and triple teamed during last season? Even though every single person who saw a game last year said that he was?

And when a player is that good, you double team him. When that doesn't work, you triple team him. Tie him up so he can't touch the puck. You see, it isn't having 2 players to defend against 4. When the puck is away from Jessiman, one of the defenders covering him hurry back into the play.

For Example, Jessiman is being covered by players a and b. Jessiman still gets the puck while being guarded by a and b, so c player c comes in. Jessiman can't fight off all 3 players so he passes or dumps the puck. When player C sees that Jessiman doesn't have possesion he hustles back into position.

When dealing with a dominating player such as Jessiman, this is what coaches do? Have you ever watched hockey Stich?

degroat*

modestfwd said:
Are you actually saying that he WASN'T double and triple teamed during last season? Even though every single person who saw a game last year said that he was?

And when a player is that good, you double team him. When that doesn't work, you triple team him. Tie him up so he can't touch the puck. You see, it isn't having 2 players to defend against 4. When the puck is away from Jessiman, one of the defenders covering him hurry back into the play.

For Example, Jessiman is being covered by players a and b. Jessiman still gets the puck while being guarded by a and b, so c player c comes in. Jessiman can't fight off all 3 players so he passes or dumps the puck. When player C sees that Jessiman doesn't have possesion he hustles back into position.

When dealing with a dominating player such as Jessiman, this is what coaches do? Have you ever watched hockey Stich?

Yes, I am honestly saying that he was no triple teamed him and I didn't have to see a single game to figure out how much of a crock the idea is. There is no coach that has a clue at any level that is going to implement a system where he puts his team on what would basically be a penalty kill for an entire game.

Furthermore, hockey is a positional game. To implement a plan where a player is tripleteamed the coach would have to implement where he's telling players to get out of position. Clearly you've watched hockey, modestfwd. But do you actually understand the game?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
topshelf331 said:
Come on now. Lets not degenerate this thread to the 3rd grade level with obviously inflammatory comments.

He started it! Yo mama! Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me! Poopyhead.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Stich said:
Yes, I am honestly saying that he was no triple teamed him and I didn't have to see a single game to figure out how much of a crock the idea is. There is no coach that has a clue at any level that is going to implement a system where he puts his team on what would basically be a penalty kill for an entire game.

Furthermore, hockey is a positional game. To implement a plan where a player is tripleteamed the coach would have to implement where he's telling players to get out of position. Clearly you've watched hockey, modestfwd. But do you actually understand the game?

While I agree that saying Jessiman was "triple-teamed" is a little bit much, I don't think it's a stretch to say Jessiman was the focal point of the opposition's defenseive effort and that gave Stempniak a lot more room to do his thing.

degroat*

Rabid Ranger said:
While I agree that saying Jessiman was "triple-teamed" is a little bit much, I don't think it's a stretch to say Jessiman was the focal point of the opposition's defenseive effort and that gave Stempniak a lot more room to do his thing.

I already said that. ;)

Stich said:
Teams may have focused their defense on Jessiman. I have no doubt about that.

NYRGoalieGlut*

guitaraholic said:
another gem. classic. I'm going to have to bookmark this one. Hey, I'm sure you'd rather have Jason Bonsignore over Pavol Demitra, right? If EVERYONE bases their opinons on 30 GMS and their staff then what is the point of even debating any of the player ratings? We'd simply defer to the draft order.

Wow, two swings and two misses in one post. Nice.

First of all, u'r the one seeking our help, not the other way around. U'r really acting like a jerk by insulting every post and everyone that posts. U seem to have taken this very personally, much more than needed over something as silly as this, especially since people have actually replied. My guess? The reason u took this so personally is that u wanted everyone to jump on Stemp's bandwaggon and agree w/ u and say how great he is. U obviously r upset not w/ who answered ur thread but w/ what the answers were which wasn't favorable to ur prospect. Second regarding this post, u'r saying that THIRTY GMs might make a mistake, ok, but a coach can't? Why because he sided w/ u and ur team's prospect. Regarding another post the guy was right u ARE a hippocrite. U'r saying how u believe that Stemp is the better prospect based on what the coach said yet u said that the opinion of people that didn't see the two play is worthless. If u'r going to say that the coach watches games so u relying on his opinion makes sense since he's creidble, I'm sure the GMs and scouts that believed that Jessiman was better didn't watch the games? That's whose opinion the people that didn't watch them play r basing their own opinions on?

Superfluous U

Jan 15, 2004
At a Stone Prison on a Hill
NYRGoalieGlut said:
First of all, u'r the one seeking our help, not the other way around. U'r really acting like a jerk by insulting every post and everyone that posts. U seem to have taken this very personally, much more than needed over something as silly as this, especially since people have actually replied. My guess? The reason u took this so personally is that u wanted everyone to jump on Stemp's bandwaggon and agree w/ u and say how great he is. U obviously r upset not w/ who answered ur thread but w/ what the answers were which wasn't favorable to ur prospect. Second regarding this post, u'r saying that THIRTY GMs might make a mistake, ok, but a coach can't? Why because he sided w/ u and ur team's prospect. Regarding another post the guy was right u ARE a hippocrite. U'r saying how u believe that Stemp is the better prospect based on what the coach said yet u said that the opinion of people that didn't see the two play is worthless. If u'r going to say that the coach watches games so u relying on his opinion makes sense since he's creidble, I'm sure the GMs and scouts that believed that Jessiman was better didn't watch the games? That's whose opinion the people that didn't watch them play r basing their own opinions on?

Not to be a jerk, but it astounds me that you were willing to write that much, but unwilling to write "you" instead of "u"

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
NYRGoalieGlut said:

Don't worry, he was banned for two weeks because of that.

NYRGoalieGlut*

Superfluous U said:
Not to be a jerk, but it astounds me that you were willing to write that much, but unwilling to write "you" instead of "u"

That wasn't that much. Anyway it's just a force of habit, who cares really? But U'R not being a jerk. ;)

NYRGoalieGlut*

Franz said:
Don't worry, he was banned for two weeks because of that.

How old is this thread then? It was really up high. Maybe this forum doesn't get many replies.

NYRGoalieGlut*

NYRGoalieGlut said:
How old is this thread then? It was really up high. Maybe this forum doesn't get many replies.

Just checked it out, this thread isn't old, it was made to sound like it was though.

MontanaTrout

Sep 17, 2003
Visit site
Wow. Lots of good observations here already. I saw them both play quite a few times last year. Stemp had a move to tie the game against Harvard that was world class. He has a ton of talent and speed and a knack for scoring. Smart player. He might have benefited some from Jessiman getting lots of attention from other teams but he also had a better year, as Jessiman will tell you. This year Jessiman will have a big year because he has come back a man. He worked 4 excrutiating months training with the Rangers and completely focused on shedding double teams and working hard in the corners. He will score a lot of goals. His goal is to dominate at this level. And he will. :banghead: Let the season begin.

rebuildthis

Sep 3, 2004
Monroe, NJ
Maybe the coach of Dartmouth is like Mike Shanahan and is using reverse psychology on teams to make them alter their game. Like when he said that shite about plummers shoulder last season. Anyways maybe hes tryin to draw more coverage to stemp and give more room to jessiman. :joker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad