Hugh Jessiman

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm not implying that he was drafted just because he was a Ranger fan. But that certainly factored into the pick.

I would think it factored in to the extent that if they were unsure of who they wanted between Jessiman and someone else, then that might have an influence.

I don't think him being a Rangers fan alone made them take him much higher in the draft than he was predicted to go.

No, just blame scouting and the obsessive want for a big, powerful forward.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Someone should have pointed out that he was playin' in friggin' Dartmouth. They aren't exactly in a great division, and he had one good year. That's what you get when you are so fascinated with a players' size.
Hell he might not be the best power forward drafted out of Dartmouth that year.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hell he might not be the best power forward drafted out of Dartmouth that year.

Thats perfectly possible.

Though first of all, go back 4 years and there is a redline offside rule in place and no transitiong game through the neutral zone to speak of in the entire NHL.

Add the fact that Jessiman is 6'6 and have allot of natrual talent.

He got a very good looking stride for a kid his size, there is allot of room for development there. He also aren't a stiff, got pretty soft hands.

In the end, Jessiman was a bad pick, defenitly haven't developed as expected. But, before having good size was practiacally a presumtion, unless you were big you had to be really special. Today its the other way around, sure its good to be big, as long as you are as skilled as the small guys.

In the old game Jessiman defenitly would be higher ranked then he is right now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm always amazed at what Sather was able to do in little 'ole Edmonton but has failed to do in the Big Apple.

The thing with the Oilers is they used loopholes to secure one of the all time greats, then had some incredible drafts from 1979 to 1983, then nothing.

Aside from a few individual picks, Sather didn't draft well for almost 2 decades. The trades he made usually featured trading hall of famers for prospects.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The Brian Boyle - Hugh Jessiman comparison begins - both drafted from a very low level of competitive hockey and both teams were fascinated by their size. Boyle gets a pass so far b/c he decided to stay in school but next year we'll start to see whether the kings really reached for this guy on draft day.
I've seen Boyle several times over the last 2 years at B.C. - I feel pretty confident saying he'll stick. Whether it's on the 2nd line or on the 3rd line remains to be seen, but I think he'll find a regular shift in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad