Huge News!!! Nhlpa Offers Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
Cerebral said:
I should be studying right now for a midterm tommorrow but this news is pretty darn exciting. If it is true, they are just apparently 10 million apart and have a pretty easy gap to close through negotiations. I'm never going to understand why the players couldn't come forward with this on Friday or Saturday though, it's not like the owners were going to cave during the weekend...

Roenicks group put pressure on Goodenow that wan't there then.....

Roenicks group was talking 42 million...Goodenow says well if we are going to be forced to get a cap lets start high and gte as much as we can...and they did

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Cerebral said:
I should be studying right now for a midterm tommorrow but this news is pretty darn exciting. If it is true, they are just apparently 10 million apart and have a pretty easy gap to close through negotiations. I'm never going to understand why the players couldn't come forward with this on Friday or Saturday though, it's not like the owners were going to cave during the weekend...
I feel your pain... I've got a Calculus Midterm that's going to r*pe me so bad... fark it though, this is the NHL. I Bombed an astronomy exam a few weeks ago when Bettman and Goodenow had those late night thursday chats. Do you guys think I could find some legality and see if i can get compensation for those clowns ruining my studying?

I still vow that someday I'll either be the Commish of the NHL or the legal representative of the NHLPA... just gotta pass Calculus first :dunce:

Burnaby_Joe*

futurcorerock said:
I feel your pain... I've got a Calculus Midterm that's going to r*pe me so bad...

I don't go to class on the trade deadline. :D

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
futurcorerock said:
I feel your pain... I've got a Calculus Midterm that's going to r*pe me so bad... fark it though, this is the NHL. I Bombed an astronomy exam a few weeks ago when Bettman and Goodenow had those late night thursday chats. Do you guys think I could find some legality and see if i can get compensation for those clowns ruining my studying?

I still vow that someday I'll either be the Commish of the NHL or the legal representative of the NHLPA... just gotta pass Calculus first :dunce:
Hockey > Latin Military History :D

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Ozy_Flame said:
There is a basis for agreement here, but if you're expecting either side to pull a rabbit out of the hat, you're sorrowly mistaken. The season will be cancelled, and negotiations will continue through the summer for a normal fall start.

I dunno, if it's truly only about the level of the cap now...I think the owners will look at it, look at the possibility of actually having a full playoffs to make some $$, and decide that making money's better than not making money.

NHL owners have always shown themselves to be greedy and shortsighted on the whole...for once it might actually help.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
mudcrutch79 said:
It's just dollars now. There's no excuse not to finish this.
If you look at the numbers and consider there is no mention of a salary floor then it certainly looks doable for around 45 million.With many teams likely setting their own budgets at around 30-35 million or even lower the end result would be an average likely around 40 million or even slightly lower.
If there is indeed time to play the mini season and still generate the same playoff revenues a full season would have provided then i say a deal should definately be reached.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Cerebral said:
I'm never going to understand why the players couldn't come forward with this on Friday or Saturday though, it's not like the owners were going to cave during the weekend...

The owners took linkage off the table-sorry, I didn't make that clear. That is caving to a certain extent.

Ozy_Flame

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Digger12 said:
I dunno, if it's truly only about the level of the cap now...I think the owners will look at it, look at the possibility of actually having a full playoffs to make some $$, and decide that making money's better than not making money.

NHL owners have always shown themselves to be greedy and shortsighted on the whole...for once it might actually help.

I'm sure the owners are more prudent to accept short-term losses of a shortened season and a questionable playoff series in order to gain long-term cost certainty and market viability. If it was all about making money, they could have just taken a luxury tax system, or any system for that matter. It's all about getting the right deal.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
More details in the TSN story-the PA offer included the rollback, and had more aggressive payroll tax thresholds, and tax rates on team payrolls. Saskin's statement is different this time too-he gives some credit to the NHL. Why the NHL said no progress, I have no idea. Bizarre.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Just imagine how Pissed/Depressed all of us are gonna be if they in fact reach NO agreement at all. I don't even want to think about it.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Ozy_Flame said:
$52 million is still too high. It is still allowing teams to have about $20 million more on payroll than a small market team, whether that be 2-3 high priced players, or 4-6 mid-priced. I understand fully why the owners rejected it; that's like the NHLPA accepting a luxury tax that starts at $15 million.

There is a basis for agreement here, but if you're expecting either side to pull a rabbit out of the hat, you're sorrowly mistaken. The season will be cancelled, and negotiations will continue through the summer for a normal fall start.

If you believe Roenick's story reported in the paper this morning, there isn't even a gap. They're already at 42MM within his select group - how much of a black eye will the NHLPA have if they ignore their own membership's recommendations?

Stranger things have happened though, and 10MM is a LOT of money, so who knows. I'm still just stunned that Roenick & Co. would do this now - 99% of me feels this is ALL planned, as this puts the players in the position of being the heroes - especially with Iginla's name and reputation tied to it. However, Roenick is just nuts enough to do this on his own.

Tomorrow's gonna be fun!

- T

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
mudcrutch79 said:
The owners took linkage off the table-sorry, I didn't make that clear. That is caving to a certain extent.
Fair enough... it's been rumoured that the owners would be willing to go in this direciton for a while though and even The Score picked up on it in an interview with Daly. It would have been nice if these concessions could have been made a little earlier but I guess the firm deadline set by Bettman really spurred on some action...

likea

Jul 9, 2004
mudcrutch79 said:
More details in the TSN story-the PA offer included the rollback, and had more aggressive payroll tax thresholds, and tax rates on team payrolls. Saskin's statement is different this time too-he gives some credit to the NHL. Why the NHL said no progress, I have no idea. Bizarre.

they didn't want to answer questions on it just yet I bet

now the pressure has switched sides..this is very doable by both parties

keep the PA system

46 million hard cap

luxury tax starting at 38 million

what is a tax rate on team payrolls?????

I have not heard this before???

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
Just imagine how Pissed/Depressed all of us are gonna be if they in fact reach NO agreement at all. I don't even want to think about it.
It'll be offset when I can drink your tears of joy for a season..

mm... salty tears...

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
mudcrutch79 said:
I have never thought linkage was a deal breaker for the owners and thought they would give it up if the player's accepted a cap. I've also said the owners would jump on a hard cap in the 45M range. If the players have really made an offer with a hard cap, the next couple day should prove to be very interesting...

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
mudcrutch79 said:
If it was that, but with no floor, and significant revenue sharing, it would certainly put the owners in an awkward position.

I think that's about all that it does. It does not pass my smell test. It is an interesting player PA ploy. Without the link to revenues, it will probably redistribute talent more than restrains salaries.

At the end of the day, the winner of this labour dispute will be easy to spot. Is revenue defined and are the players allocated a fixed percentage of those revenues? That is a cap on salaries. As long as the NHL backs off on that demand - and apparently they have - the players can concede a team by team cap. It is just numbers picked out of the air after that.

They'll probably have to do better than $52 million, but what will really matter is how the cap is defined. It is very difficult to set something up that is not circumventable without linkage. The best way is probably to say the total salaries on a roster cannot exceed $XX million at any given time.

Tom

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Tom_Benjamin said:
I think that's about all that it does. It does not pass my smell test. It is an interesting player PA ploy. Without the link to revenues, it will probably redistribute talent more than restrains salaries.

Where do you see the ploy Tom? If the PA has given up the no cap position, and the NHL has given up the no linkage position; we've moved significantly forward in terms of a resolution.

From the perspective of those of us who'd like to see something of a free market maintained to ensure that winning teams can be kept together to a certain degree, this really could be something if the NHLPA is able to trade a floor for a higher cap. I think this has potential.

I'm 80% something gets done, although my confidence had waned over the weekend. It's nut cutting time, and it seems like people are stepping up. The tricky part at this point will be getting Bettman to move-it doesn't really seem to be his style.

Ice Cream Man

$1 Oysters
Aug 22, 2002
Visit site
I'm not optimistic in the least. If they compromise at $46 million, it's still too high. The league better fix this right, and be able to maintain the prosperity of the league for the long-term.

I don't want to be a pessimist, but we've heard so many times over the last few months that things were about to turn around, only to fall apart hours later.

I'll believe this when it actually happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad