Proposal: Huge Jets/Oilers Trade

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Value in a vacuum definitely does favor the Jets, but I'd have a hard time moving Connor who is definitely the best player in this trade. I also don't see how Edmonton can afford to lose value in yet another deal.

Reactions: zar

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
You call it HUGE and dont even include Byfuglien ?? disappointed

edit: Value might be close but Connor breaking out this season makes this a no go for Jets.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
I never have laughed so hard reading a HF thread. A 30 goal scoring rookie for Poolparty?

Edit: We also have our own up and coming Finnish power forward, Vesalainen. So no, we are good.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
:edmontonTyler Myers, Kyle Connor, 2018 2nd
:jetsOscar Klefbom, Jesse Puljujarvi, 2018 1st

Oilers get a great speedy winger, Jets upgrade on D, and both teams exchange a LHD and a RHD to balance the top 4.

I don't see how this trade makes sense for the Jets, especially after the season that Klefbom had.

Its not like the Jets are going into a rebuild, and Conner really swings things.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't see the Jets moving Connor. But theoretically this trade is still terrible for the Oilers because they realistically can't keep the pieces they get from it long term.

Reactions: VainGretzky

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think that's how most people see this, bud.
Most people see it as Myers="very solid defenseman" and Klefbom is "a struggling defenseman"? Really I didn't know that. Good thing your arrogant ass is here to inform me. Also lists out the 2nd and says "just a 1st" when its a top 10 pick.

Idiot.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
More like
Klefbom = Myers
Conner >>>Puljujarvi.
Oilers 1st >>> Jets 2nd.
The 1st isn't close enough for the downgrade the Jets would have to do.
That's an easy no from the Jets.

Yeah, maybe if Myers was signed long term at a cap hit of 4.2 million but guess what he isn't and he most likely won't be signing for that type of cap hit moving forward so no they aren't equal.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Yeah, maybe if Myers was signed long term at a cap hit of 4.2 million but guess what he isn't and he most likely won't be signing for that type of cap hit moving forward so no they aren't equal.
Let me guess

Nugent-hopkins >>>>tavares

For the same reason?

Jets keep their 30 goal rookie. You keep your "I wish these guys could score 30 goals between them" players.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Let me guess

For the same reason?

Jets keep their 30 goal rookie. You keep your "I wish these guys could score 30 goals between them" players.

Yes. Exactly this.

If the Oilers would have traded RNH to rent Tavares, they would have been blithering idiots. Just like moving Klefbom for Myers would be utter idiocy.

Connor is the best piece in this deal. The Oilers assets are a close 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Renting Myers is worthless to a team 20+ points out of the playoffs and who gives a crap about 59th overall or whatever their 2nd is.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Let me guess

For the same reason?

Yeah dude cause there is a huge gap in talent in favor of Myers in this scenario. Klefbom is 1 year removed from putting up 38 points and I forgot Myers has been putting up 50+ points the last 3 years.\

oh and we'll keep out potential top 3 pick I mean I know switching about what like 40 spots in the draft is nothing right we'll probably get the same level of talent picking 50th instead of picking 1-9.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Yeah dude cause there is a huge gap in talent in favor of Myers in this scenario. Klefbom is 1 year removed from putting up 38 points and I forgot Myers has been putting up 50+ points the last 3 years.\

oh and we'll keep out potential top 3 pick I mean I know switching about what like 40 spots in the draft is nothing right we'll probably get the same level of talent picking 50th instead of picking 1-9.
Dude? Funny but now I know what kind of intelligence level I am dealing with.

Dude 1 year removed? You are saying his decline after signing a long term contract has started already started. Myers had 10 more points than that in his rookie season. Klef should be around 10 points if he keeps up this rate.

Like a 1st round pick is going to do anything for the oilers. If you don't get first overall you may as well throw that pick away. Your history of picks speaks for itself.

Funny you had no mention of the 30 goal rookie involved...selective response...clown

Reactions: Snowman

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Welll, there is definitely great value coming from Edmonton. Klefbom can certainly outperform that contract, especially playing for the Jets and that first rounder and Pool Party also have terrific value.

Jets don’t need to make this big move now though. Value is pretty good but doesn’t work with where the Jets are at right now.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's an awful deal for Winnipeg. They give up the 2 better players

Like drop the 2nd and move it to Edmonton's side and it's closer

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

Oilers get a great speedy winger, Jets upgrade on D, and both teams exchange a LHD and a RHD to balance the top 4.

Winnipeg probably happy with thier team as is without making major trades. Oilers on the other hand...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Top ten pick < Connor
Puljujarvi value >> Myers rental value
Klefbom value >>>> low 2nd value.

I get why the Jets don’t do this because they spent a decade carefully building up talent and their patient approach is finally paying off, but the ‘value in a vacuum’ is absolutely in their favour.
Pulju is worth a meh prospect and a low first. That's what Myers would get as a rental. So....value there is even.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

Why are you trading 2 Oiler assets when they just came off seasons where their market value would be lowered based on their production. Klefbom is better than his play from this past year, he proved it in his previous seasons )the injury could have been a factor). Puljujarvi is only 19, so no need to trade him at a time when he hasn't had time to develop.

At this time, value (contracts considered)...
9OA >>> 61OA
Puljujarvi <<< Connor
Klefbom > Myers

At the end of the day, if I were the Jets, there is no way I trade Connor (after his 2017/18 campaign) unless I am filling a significant gap in my line-up or I am getting a player better than Connor... which I don't see in this offer.

Reactions: Pure and McDrai

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Yes. Exactly this.

If the Oilers would have traded RNH to rent Tavares, they would have been blithering idiots. Just like moving Klefbom for Myers would be utter idiocy.

Connor is the best piece in this deal. The Oilers assets are a close 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Renting Myers is worthless to a team 20+ points out of the playoffs and who gives a crap about 59th overall or whatever their 2nd is.

Based off the trades they’ve made the past year or two what evidence is there that they’re not?

Reactions: Snowman

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Jets have Hell and Trouba to sign this year.
Wheeler, Laine and Connor the following year.
They are going to have to make some strong decisions about who they keep and who to trade away.

If they resign Troubathis year I can see them trading Myers, if they trade away Trouba they will keep him. I see a deal happening with a dman once the Trouba decision is made. That will be after the draft. Then they can look at something like Myers for picks as it is not like they have room for roster players.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Even assuming that Edmontons first is worth more then a 30 goal rookie (It's not any where but this board), why does Winnipeg trade a more well known quantity for a mystery box? Why does Edmonton want MORE scoring forwards over other contributors? Why is Winnipeg still expected to pay closet to full price for Klefbom, while Myers seems mentioned as an afterthought?

This just seems very poorly thought out.

Reactions: Snowman and Pure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->