Howard vs. Liv

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
From what i understand Liv's development has seriously stagnated and being a NHL starter has become quite unlikely.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Inconsistency is Liv's biggest problem, plus he plays based on a whole lot of luck. Positioning isn't his best asset so too speak, but who knows? He has been playing for the same team for a while now, maybe a change and a challange will do good for him.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
FWIW, I think that Howard has quite a bit more potential than an "Auld-ish" goaltender.

Since When was Auld a bad goalie?

He is very consistant, solid, and has a good head on his shoulders. He just doesn't have a ton of skill.

A step above Auld would place him in a fairly good category.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

He is very consistant, solid, and has a good head on his shoulders. He just doesn't have a ton of skill.

Jimmy does have a ton of skill. He's set records with the USNTDP, NCAA, AHL, and NHL (an obscure one :D ).

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
yeah there is nothing wrong with auld. i think he did very well last season. considering he was a rookie and had to play almost every game after cloutier got hurt. and he had above average save percentage. back to the thread. i dont really see where liv fits in right now after hasek got signed. i thought they would go with osgood and have liv as a backup and give howard the important minutes he needs in the AHL. but now hasek will be the #1 until he gets hurt (he probably will). and then liv will be called up because i dont think they will call up howard to sit and watch hockey games. after this season i think howard will be the #1 goalie in detroit with liv as a backup.

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
Quickest penalty shot goal allowed into a career?

What has been said about Liv is right on, he has all the potential to be the number one guy for Detroit, but we know that just isn't going to happen now. Howard is definately more talented than Liv, but he still has problems. He is VERY inconsistant. He can usually keep it to 2 goals a game, but when he doesn't, he opens the floodgates. It was frustrating watching the news one night, and seeing a good performance by Jimmy one night, and then a 5-goal game the next. He definately benefitted from the great team in front of him, but that also inflated his stats. He had so many wins because the Griffins scored goals at will, and won him games, but look at his GAA, decent, but not a top goalie in the AHL yet. He could be a top goalie next year, and be the Wings starter in 2007, but he has some work ahead of him.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
You also have to remember Howard got off to a rocky start because he spent quite a few games early on in Det as the backup. It was also his first time playing so many games as he played College hockey and their semi limited schedule. Overall I expect him to be a lot more consistent next season.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I never said he was bad.

Just average, IMO. Nothing too special but nothing bad, either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad