How would you grade the Sharks' 2016 draft?

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well I'm not gonna lie I don't know anything about any of the guys we drafted so I'd like to know how the rest of you think we did in this years draft. Sucks we didn't have a 1st but I think most of us can agree that giving it up for Jones was well worth it. Is anyone disappointed that we didn't trade up or what? I would like to know why we couldn't get a deal done to trade Reimer's rights for at least a pick or something seeing as how we won't be re-signing him so I'm disappointed we couldn't do something there. Either way lets hear how everyone thinks we did.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Well I'm not gonna lie I don't know anything about any of the guys we drafted so I'd like to know how the rest of you think we did in this years draft. Sucks we didn't have a 1st but I think most of us can agree that giving it up for Jones was well worth it. Is anyone disappointed that we didn't trade up or what? I would like to know why we couldn't get a deal done to trade Reimer's rights for at least a pick or something seeing as how we won't be re-signing him so I'm disappointed we couldn't do something there. Either way lets hear how everyone thinks we did.

trading reimer's rights takes a team that needs a starting goalie, and there are litterally 0 teams that are in that desperate of a position for a goalie, that they would be willing to throw away assets for 1.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Pondering adding a "it's too early to handicap a draft when you're less than 10 hours from its conclusion and the players have a grand total of 0 professional games under their belt at this point, making this a very silly and irrelevant exercise." and voting for that.

Though I think I might be over the character limit for a poll option.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
trading reimer's rights takes a team that needs a starting goalie, and there are litterally 0 teams that are in that desperate of a position for a goalie, that they would be willing to throw away assets for 1.

Yeah that's true. I kinda wonder why nothing happened with the Flames and why they decided to go with Elliott instead. I wonder if the Sharks' asking price was too high or they just thought Reimer would be asking for too much $$$ on July 1st.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Pondering adding a "it's too early to handicap a draft when you're less than 10 hours from its conclusion and the players have a grand total of 0 professional games under their belt at this point, making this a very silly and irrelevant exercise." and voting for that.

lol yeah I know its a bit silly because obviously none of them have played in the NHL yet but I just wanted to know what everyone thought of who we picked based on how they've done in the minors so far.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah that's true. I kinda wonder why nothing happened with the Flames and why they decided to go with Elliott instead. I wonder if the Sharks' asking price was too high or they just thought Reimer would be asking for too much $$$ on July 1st.

elliott makes 2.5 million for this season and then becomes a ufa next season. with elliott it gives the team an out if he doesn't pan out for the team. which is pretty much a guarantee because it is not goaltending that is the issue with calgary.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
elliott makes 2.5 million for this season and then becomes a ufa next season. with elliott it gives the team an out if he doesn't pan out for the team. which is pretty much a guarantee because it is not goaltending that is the issue with calgary.

Yeah that definitely must have been a deciding factor for the Flames. I think Reimer will end up having a better career personally (nothing against Elliott though) but yeah that is definitely a nice...option I guess you can say, for the Flames. 2.5 million for Elliott is definitely a steal. I think Reimer is probably gonna ask for around $5M but we'll see.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Have you or has anyone else heard what the Sharks' asking price for Reimer was? I'm definitely curious to know that because I was really hoping we'd move him for a pick but like you said I guess not many teams are in the market for a #1 goalie right now.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

Come on, Nem. You know that draft grades and "winners and losers" are the best parts about a draft. :sarcasm:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Based on what I've seen of the players in this draft and their play to date, I'd give the Sharks a C.

Considering they've been stockpiling young players / prospects over the past couple of years I thought they should go for the most upside even if it came with risk with their lone pick in the top 100 and they didn't, they instead went with a double overager 'safer' pick.

I did like their 4th & 7th round picks though.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Gregor has some solid highlights, and is one of the young players we drafted, not an overager. I'm excited to see him playing in juniors next year and see his progress. Cautiously optimistic about this pick.

Gambrell will likely become a Goodrow type 12th/13th spare part.

People don't like Wiederer because he's old.

Shoemaker has a sick name.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I voted A. Our 1st round pick is already a solid starting NHL goaltender on a good contract. Anything else we get out of this draft is just gravy.

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
Entertainment wise it was crap. Too much tire kicking by Doug Wilson, although he didn't really have that many cards on his hands, so it's understandable. But it's too early to tell how good the draft was. I think the quality of players dropped off significantly in the 20's, and all of the big ones was gone by 29. Losing the 29th pick was not a huge loss.
Trent Frederic for Martin Jones. I'll take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad