How will the Karlsson situation play out?

What happens to Karlsson?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Just checked capfriendly. Says he signed on June 29, 2016 so he never officially had a chance to "look around", unless there was a subtle change in the rules the last couple of years.

A week before UFA begins, UFAs are free to talk with all teams

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This guy is returning to form. He needs to be signed.
Once again no clue how anyone thought this wasn't going to happen eventually. Same thing just happened with Stone and the same people around here wanted him gone that were harping on Karlsson.

Injuries are real, they affect player performance. It's a fact if you've ever been hurt and played sports you know this.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Also, when youre filthy rich, moving is essentially flying to your new multi million dollar mansion while all of your paid underlings do everything for you. So its really only about having to re-locate and leave the community, not the typical obstacles the middle class would face when moving.

Thing is, when you are filthy rich, it is just that....money. It means nothing. What matters is family, the support from family being close by all the time, and close friends. You can not imagine having all the money and then having these short visits from family for a weekend and then leaving. It is very difficult.

Reactions: aragorn

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Once again no clue how anyone thought this wasn't going to happen eventually. Same thing just happened with Stone and the same people around here wanted him gone that were harping on Karlsson.

Injuries are real, they affect player performance. It's a fact if you've ever been hurt and played sports you know this.

Even the smallest of injuries can have you approaching sports differently.

Let alone playing with a cadavers bone in your ankle.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

There were lots of people waiting for any excuse to throw Karlsson under the bus and this year they found one.

Classic old-guard “the position is called DEFENSEman” mentality. Reality will hit them when he’s gone.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
What Karlsson is willing it sign for will affect his trade value. If he is asking over 12 million, I don't think many teams will want to take the risk, while giving up significant assets to acquire him. If he asks 9 million like Subban, I am sure many teams would be after him. However, at 9 mil the Sens might as well sign him to 8 years.

Reactions: Ignoritall

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What Karlsson is willing it sign for will affect his trade value. If he is asking over 12 million, I don't think many teams will want to take the risk, while giving up significant assets to acquire him. If he asks 9 million like Subban, I am sure many teams would be after him. However, at 9 mil the Sens might as well sign him to 8 years.
It's illegal to ask him if he wants 9 or 12 million until free agency. :help:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Most teams probably have an idea that it'll take 10.5-12.5 million to sign Erik Karlsson. They don't even need to talk to him, they can just look at comparable contracts to figure that out.

If he is traded, and goes to a team with a favourable tax situation, I would not be surprised if they manage to get him signed to a deal that is closer to 10.5M. With full signing bonuses and a full NMC.

The cap is going up to 80M in 2018 alone. If we see a similar raise in 2019, that'd put the cap at 85M. I don't think teams are afraid of paying a top 3 player in the NHL 12.5M starting in 2019.

There are a few teams who simply may not be able to do it without sending Ottawa a big contract because they already have lots of players making big money (EDM, TBL, PIT), but that's a very minimal amount of teams.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've heard Sens continue to take calls on Karlsson and there is ongoing discussions.
This shouldn't be a surprise at this point, I'm not sure they have made a final decision on Karlsson. But I keep going back to, if they are not going to contend anytime soon, within 2 yrs why would EM pay one player the kind of money he will command when he could move him for a number of assets that could help a future contender? It's a tough call as to what they will do but IMO winning will fix all the problems this team has had this yr but that might take a few yrs.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Don't see him being with the org when we break training camp for the 2018/19 season.

Whether we get a deal done before the draft, or after, probably depends more on the offers for Karlsson than it does our intention of trading him, IMO. Can't really predict that.

Unfortunately, I think we'll sacrifice equity in an EK deal to rid ourselves of Ryan, because that's the larger plan - if we're not competing for a cup, the plan appears to be to run the team on as tight a budget as possible. It will be a stupid move when we do it. I expect the return to be underwhelming for this reason.

I completely disagree. We sign him for Subban money on a 10-year front loaded contract where the cap hit declines significantly as he heads toward 37 years old.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I've heard Sens continue to take calls on Karlsson and there is ongoing discussions.

If you wanna be a board insider, you gotta let us know which teams are on Karlsson's wife's no trade list......:sarcasm:

I will be shocked if Karl is here at the start of the 18-19 season. Even if Karlsson comes back at the final hour and says "Okay I'll sign for a discount", it's one of those things where once someone is put in a position to start exploring their options, maybe they become more open to doing something that only a short time earlier they would have thought was unfathomable. The pandora's box gets opened.

Almost like how the Alfie thing went down, where until he was put in a position to talk to other teams via the Senators inaction in getting an extension done, he claimed he would have never imagined signing else where. But the opposite, in this case it would be the team deciding to follow through on trading Karlsson to kick off a rebuild/re-tool.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The Sens cant afford to signed Karlsson to a long term contract

Its not that they dont want to, its they have the money

Si he gets traded this summer.

Its sucks, but when the owner of your team is broke. thats what you get.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
There were lots of people waiting for any excuse to throw Karlsson under the bus and this year they found one.

Classic old-guard “the position is called DEFENSEman” mentality. Reality will hit them when he’s gone.
Well he has been absolutely terrible defensively this year. No hiding that

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Also, when youre filthy rich, moving is essentially flying to your new multi million dollar mansion while all of your paid underlings do everything for you. So its really only about having to re-locate and leave the community, not the typical obstacles the middle class would face when moving.
Except the filthy rich still need to sell their house, which doesn’t happen overnight. They need to buy or rent a new place, which doesn’t happen overnight. They need to get their stuff moved from old to new place, which doesn’t happen overnight.

What does happen overnight, however, is the expectation the player shows up and is ready to play, go on an extended road trip, whatever the situation may be.

Further, a LOT of NHL players aren’t exactly “filthy rich.” Guys making under 1.5-2mil a season aren’t exactly swimming in cash.

We haven’t even factored in housng prices in certain cities yet. Sure most of the Winnipeg Jets are probably living in the upper echelons of that city, but get traded to Toronto and you arent going into a multi million dollar mansion. On a salary less than 2 mil a season, you’d be lucky to get into a downtown condo with how prices are these days.

I know we like to think the rich have it soooo much easier than we do; which for the most part they do. When it comes to moving cities, it doesn’t matter who you are or what class of life you come from, it’s a massive pain in the ass.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Except the filthy rich still need to sell their house, which doesn’t happen overnight. They need to buy or rent a new place, which doesn’t happen overnight. They need to get their stuff moved from old to new place, which doesn’t happen overnight.

What does happen overnight, however, is the expectation the player shows up and is ready to play, go on an extended road trip, whatever the situation may be.

Further, a LOT of NHL players aren’t exactly “filthy rich.” Guys making under 1.5-2mil a season aren’t exactly swimming in cash.

We haven’t even factored in housng prices in certain cities yet. Sure most of the Winnipeg Jets are probably living in the upper echelons of that city, but get traded to Toronto and you arent going into a multi million dollar mansion. On a salary less than 2 mil a season, you’d be lucky to get into a downtown condo with how prices are these days.

I know we like to think the rich have it soooo much easier than we do; which for the most part they do. When it comes to moving cities, it doesn’t matter who you are or what class of life you come from, it’s a massive pain in the ass.
Id gladly go through that

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Melnyk needs financials to win the bid for the new arena. Once that happens the value of the team is going to go way up, and Melnyk will sell for an even bigger profit. But until that happens he's going to cut costs on everything including, scouts, physios, janitors, and generational talents.

This is what i think is happening.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I completely disagree. We sign him for Subban money on a 10-year front loaded contract where the cap hit declines significantly as he heads toward 37 years old.

Impending UFAs, Like EK65 on July 1st can only sign a contract extension with a Max of 8 years.

An UFA can only be signed to Max of 7 years.

The days of 10 year contracts are gone, as far as I know.

Also Subban's "Cap Hit" started and remains the same (9 Million) for the duration of his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad