How will the Karlsson situation play out?

What happens to Karlsson?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I think either 1 or 5 are most likely. My optimism is pretty low these days towards the team so I'm going to guess dealt with Ryan. All the signs point to that being what the team wants unfortunately, the organization doesn't really have a great poker face. But a tiny part of me is still clinging to the hope we sign him long term.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
It's tough to get value on long term deals. Once a guy hits year 5, often,, their skills don't match their salaries. No doubt that EK is an exceptional player, but he's suffered some serious injuries which, unfortunately, may have consequences on his long-term play. A simple rule for investing is to buy low and sell high and EK's value probably won't get any higher. The challenge for PD is guessing what move will benefit the team most. Trading EK will only make sense if he hits a home run. The fan base will run him out of town if the return us anything less.

Keeping EK, at the right price, makes sense too as he is the face of the franchise and is respected in the community as well as the dressing room. Guys like him don't come around very often.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Don't see him being with the org when we break training camp for the 2018/19 season.

Whether we get a deal done before the draft, or after, probably depends more on the offers for Karlsson than it does our intention of trading him, IMO. Can't really predict that.

Unfortunately, I think we'll sacrifice equity in an EK deal to rid ourselves of Ryan, because that's the larger plan - if we're not competing for a cup, the plan appears to be to run the team on as tight a budget as possible. It will be a stupid move when we do it. I expect the return to be underwhelming for this reason.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
I suspect a lot of teams at the deadline were worried that he would not re-sign with their team. If they can sign him to long-term deal, his trade value will be much higher. Nevertheless, I hope he is not traded. Players like him do not come along that often.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Unfortunately I think Karl is gone and they use him as a way to get out from under Ryan's deal.

Crazier things have happened though, I don't discount the possibility of him staying long term either.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Trading your generational D man in his prime is indefensible.

Attaching Ryan's negative value deal just to save some bucks will be the spark that sets this fanbase off.

Those mocking the Melnykout movement are in for a rough ride if that happens.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
IF Management knows they can't afford to pay what they expect Karlsson is going to ask ........ which he said is going to be Market Value, then he's going to be traded after the season ends.

Logic would dictate that PD waits until he can actually talk terms, and then decide whether or not they can afford to extend him, and also carry out the plan that Melnyk approved.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
All good points people have made & I tend to agree with most. IMO if this team has decided to rebuild than I would think they would trade Karlsson & get as much in return as possible to accelerate the rebuild. I just don't see how they can afford to pay Karlsson what he will demand during a rebuild & whether that is in any way helpful unless they plan to return to respectability within two yrs.

This owner has survived losing Alfredsson (god) twice & while Karlsson is a generational player, he should command a great return. If EM can last until the new arena is built he will certainly get a reprieve with the new building which should generate fan enthusiasm & help them forget losing Karlsson. It's going to be an interesting summer & I have no idea which way it will go but tend towards Karlsson being traded with Ryan, if they can manage it. What if Karlsson plans on leaving regardless when his contract runs out & has no intention of re-signing here but with whoever will pay him? It's a big risk either way.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Most likely gone. Maybe with Ryan, maybe without. Not sure. If he’s gone, I don’t expect to be very good next year as the return will likely be mostly if not all futures.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I am 100% convinced he's traded at the draft. Melnyk is dead-set on saving money and that is the ONLY reason we're gonna lose the best player Ottawa's ever seen.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yup... Melnyk's goal is to trade Karlsson because he wants to piss off "fans" and lose forever.

What's the logic if he's not trading him to save money? I'm also not sure how you make the connection between what you wrote and the post you quoted.

You don't trade the best defensemen in the league for no reason. It certainly won't make the team better, and Karlsson still has a lot of years ahead of him.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
What's the logic if he's not trading him to save money?

You don't trade the best defensemen in the league for no reason. It certainly won't make the team better, and Karlsson still has a lot of years ahead of him.

It's about gambling for the big prize!

you-gotta-know-how-to-hold-em-know-how-to-fold-em.jpg

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Hot take option 6:

The Sens take option 5 and when Melnyk financially falls apart a new owner flies in to save the day and EK returns to sign long term.

But in the real world all I'm hoping for right now is option 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->