How was Coburn in the tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I live in the US and wasn't able to see any of the games. It sounds like he had a pretty quiet, but effective tournament. The scouting reports on him say that he is someone you usually never notice but who is always in the right spots at all times, and is rock solid, just not in a flashy way.

So did Phaneuf outplay Coburn this tournament? Any insights? Thanks. :)

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pachoo said:
I live in the US and wasn't able to see any of the games. It sounds like he had a pretty quiet, but effective tournament. The scouting reports on him say that he is someone you usually never notice but who is always in the right spots at all times, and is rock solid, just not in a flashy way.

So did Phaneuf outplay Coburn this tournament? Any insights? Thanks. :)
I think its fair to say Phaneuf outplayed Cobourn in the tourney, but that doesn't have to be a slight against Cobourn

Phaneuf outplayed most of the defencemen in this tourney

Mr_Hockeytown19

Nov 18, 2003
detroit
Visit site
looooob said:
I think its fair to say Phaneuf outplayed Cobourn in the tourney, but that doesn't have to be a slight against Cobourn

Phaneuf outplayed most of the defencemen in this tourney
the winning goal coborn tipped in with his stick.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Phaneuf did outplay him and I'm hoping Coburn can learn from it. I think Coburn has a fantastic upside but he needs to be more of a presence, IMO.

The edge Phaneuf seems to have over him is all about mental toughness, attitude and willingness to step up. It's ok to play a safe game but you have to take risks if you want to make a difference and that's what Phaneuf does unlike Coburn.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Coburn didn't stand out in any game, which I guess is a good thing. For a guy his size, he's not much of a physical presence. One thing I noticed was that he often had room to skate the puck but didn't.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
As mentioned already, Coburn had a tentative tournament. On some plays, he used his reach and was good in containment down low, made solid outlet passes and you can see the hockey sense and skills that made him a highly touted player heading into the draft.

However, he also turned over the puck and made some poor outlet passes resulting in scoring chances against. If memory serves me right, the US' first goal was a result of Coburn not covering his side of the post when the American player walked out from behind the net, then had a few wacks to put the puck in the net.

I thought Seabrooke, Phaneuf and Gorges outplayed him when all was said and done. That said, I wouldn't be disappointed at all had my team chosen him with a top ten draft pick.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Goal, Goal, Goal, Goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal......

what a header!

Unfortunate tournament for Coburn. Half-baked as his soccer-like, wrong-place-at-wrong-time finish sort of punctuated. :blush:

Stay tuned, he will improve and be in the top 4 of any D in the NHL in a number of years though. :teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad