How unbalanced would Team Canada be if NHL'ers were in 2018 Olympics?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Considering that 4/8 teams could not select all of the best healthy players from the regions they supposedly represented, no we did not have a best on best tournament last summer.

Which of the best players in that he world were healthy but not there?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Which of the best players in that he world were healthy but not there?

Various Canadians (Subban, Letang and so on) but that isn't the point. Best on best always referred to each country in a tournament being able to select its best players. That wasn't the case at that tournament due to incredibly idiotic selection rules, particularly with regard to USA.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Various Canadians (Subban, Letang and so on) but that isn't the point. Best on best always referred to each country in a tournament being able to select its best players. That wasn't the case at that tournament due to incredibly idiotic selection rules, particularly with regard to USA.

Ok so its just more of the same whining about the format.

I personally didn't care if teams like Switzerland and SLovakia who are just there to get beat weren't there. At least the two new teams provided some decent competition.

And I doubt anything changes if the US gets to take the younger guys. They werent clsoe to good enough to make up for the issues that American team had.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I honestly think this decision is coming at the worst possible time.

Look what is going on in Finland, their golden generation is arriving.
Sweden is producing high end talent at forward and D, as is USA.
Russia is finally producing some talent at D.
Even Switzerland, they are rising big time.

The competition in best-on-best tournaments is becoming stronger.

But we no longer have best-on-best competition.

Canada would still be a heavy heavy favorite. Finland isn't quite ready to be a gold medal competitor. USA is good but will be better in 2022.

now if we don't have best on best in 2022 we'll then hockey is screwed

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Canada would still be a heavy heavy favorite. Finland isn't quite ready to be a gold medal competitor. USA is good but will be better in 2022.

now if we don't have best on best in 2022 we'll then hockey is screwed
If Reilly is Canada's #1 D I don't think Canada will win. Ristolainen will destroy him.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I personally didn't care if teams like Switzerland and SLovakia who are just there to get beat weren't there. At least the two new teams provided some decent competition.

And I doubt anything changes if the US gets to take the younger guys. They werent clsoe to good enough to make up for the issues that American team had.

Don't know why you are talking about Slovakia or Switzerland or your opinion on USA's chances. Four of the eight teams were unable to select all of the best healthy players from the regions they supposedly represented. It wasn't the best Canadians, the best Americans, the best Europeans or the best North Americans. If that was best on best we might as well stupidly call an all star game best on best or even just the whole NHL season, given that all of the best players were there. This may be fixed in 2020 or it may not.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
By 2022 Switzerland will probably be able to field an all NHL team, so that's one more real non-gimmick team.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Don't know why you are talking about Slovakia or Switzerland or your opinion on USA's chances. Four of the eight teams were unable to select all of the best healthy players from the regions they supposedly represented. It wasn't the best Canadians, the best Americans, the best Europeans or the best North Americans. If that was best on best we might as well stupidly call an all star game best on best or even just the whole NHL season, given that all of the best players were there. This may be fixed in 2020 or it may not.

I am talking about the best players were all there, the games were played at a high level (two things the AllStar game didn't have) and if you give the teams their players from the young stars team it doesn't change a thing other than maybe Canada wins a little easier.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I am talking about the best players were all there, the games were played at a high level (two things the AllStar game didn't have) and if you give the teams their players from the young stars team it doesn't change a thing other than maybe Canada wins a little easier.

All star game has better players there. And even cooler made up teams like Team stamkos!!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I know that the best players were there, just like the all star game and the NHL in general. Your subjective opinion about the level of play is irrelevant, as four of the teams were not able to select their best healthy players. Canada couldn't select arguably its best player, USA couldn't select several of its best players and North America and Europe couldn't select most of the best players from those regions. The outcome would probably be the same but that doesn't change the nature of the tournament.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I know that the best players were there, just like the all star game and the NHL in general. Your subjective opinion about the level of play is irrelevant, as four of the teams were not able to select their best healthy players. Canada couldn't select arguably its best player, USA couldn't select several of its best players and North America and Europe couldn't select most of the best players from those regions. The outcome would probably be the same but that doesn't change the nature of the tournament.

Sure but if we are going to nitpick then the Olympics aren't best on best either.

So I guess we never get best on best.

And that would be a terrible argument as Crosby was there and is clearly Canada's best player.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
If Reilly is Canada's #1 D I don't think Canada will win. Ristolainen will destroy him.

Incredible how often you talk about the Leafs, even when it's not remotely relevant. Canada's #1 D would be one of Doughty, Keith, Pietrangelo, Burns, Vlasic, etc. All much better players than Ristolainen, who would not make team Canada.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Incredible how often you talk about the Leafs, even when it's not remotely relevant. Canada's #1 D would be one of Doughty, Keith, Pietrangelo, Burns, Vlasic, etc. All much better players than Ristolainen, who would not make team Canada.
Keith will be almost 40 by 2022. I do think Risto will rank high at that time and would make any team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Sure but if we are going to nitpick then the Olympics aren't best on best either.

So I guess we never get best on best.

And that would be a terrible argument as Crosby was there and is clearly Canada's best player.

I don't see an issue with the previous five Olympic tournaments, but even if there is one they are certainly much closer to what a best on best would be than a tournament that by design doesn't allow all of the countries to pick their best players. I also don't want to pursue any kind of McDavid/Crosby comparison for fear of attracting the rabid, frothing hordes that are on both sides.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Considering that 4/8 teams could not select all of the best healthy players from the regions they supposedly represented, no we did not have a best on best tournament last summer.

It's difficult to say. The NHL could fix the 2020 World Cup (if it is actually held) and make it an actual best on best tournament, and I wouldn't be shocked to see the NHL go to the Olympics at least in 2022 as it chases the China fantasy.

Yeah the China thing. They wanted the same thing in 1998 when the games were in Japan. There was a feeling of wanting to "internationalize" the game. It never happened. Hockey is not exactly something people aren't familiar with by now, even in Japan then. They've seen it, it isn't in their blood. They could make a big push for Cricket in North America, even have a cool marketing slogan and no one would watch. This whole forced idea never works. But part of the reason they should go to China is not just because everyone deserves to see the best in the Olympics, but because of the very real chances of Calgary getting the games in 2026. There is no way they pass up the chance of the games being held in Canada again.

All the NHL has to do with the World Cup is make it 8 countries again. Period. Geesh, Alan Eagleson was as crooked as they come but at least he knew how to organize a competitive tournament.

I will say the World Cup in 2016 was an 80% tournament. Yeah we won, and I was happy, but it was the most uninteresting hockey I have ever watched at that level. I may as well have been watching women's hockey with the lack of contact out there. It was pathetic. The entire tone of the tournament was one of an exhibition. Canada dominated for the most part, but it wasn't a feeling of rejoicing for me. We just won, proved we were #1 and that was it. No drama at all.

Canada was missing McDavid, who makes the team. That's a big blow but it was the US whose best players are young right now that got hurt the most. I am not saying a full U.S. team beats Canada, but with that silly 23 and under team they had a lot of talent. It was a joke of a tournament.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah the China thing. They wanted the same thing in 1998 when the games were in Japan. There was a feeling of wanting to "internationalize" the game. It never happened. Hockey is not exactly something people aren't familiar with by now, even in Japan then. They've seen it, it isn't in their blood. They could make a big push for Cricket in North America, even have a cool marketing slogan and no one would watch. This whole forced idea never works. But part of the reason they should go to China is not just because everyone deserves to see the best in the Olympics, but because of the very real chances of Calgary getting the games in 2026. There is no way they pass up the chance of the games being held in Canada again.

All the NHL has to do with the World Cup is make it 8 countries again. Period. Geesh, Alan Eagleson was as crooked as they come but at least he knew how to organize a competitive tournament.

The logic with China seems to be that even if you get 1% of them interested it's ~15 million people, which makes some sense admittedly, but I don't see it every catching on in a significant way over there. I haven't heard much about Calgary pursuing the Olympics in 2026.

Pretty much everyone, Eagleson included, knows how to organize the tournament properly. Even the NHL itself did a good job in 1996 and 2004. The 2016 edition was a shockingly stupid concept for a tournament. I will be back on board in 2020, if it happens, provided the NHL comes to its senses.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The logic with China seems to be that even if you get 1% of them interested it's ~15 million people, which makes some sense admittedly, but I don't see it every catching on in a significant way over there. I haven't heard much about Calgary pursuing the Olympics in 2026.

Pretty much everyone, Eagleson included, knows how to organize the tournament properly. Even the NHL itself did a good job in 1996 and 2004. The 2016 edition was a shockingly stupid concept for a tournament. I will be back on board in 2020, if it happens, provided the NHL comes to its senses.

Yeah it is something I could have drawn up in high school. Not hard at all. Calgary is expected to be a contender - maybe a front runner - for 2026. The IOC seems to like Calgary, which is good because they routinely hate Toronto when they pursue the Summer Olympics. The next three Olympics combined are in Asia and the 2024 summer Olympics are in Paris. Los Angeles has the 2028 games but that still means it has been a long time since the Olympics of any sort have been in North America. Waiting 16 years sounds about right.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
A better question is how unbalanced would the Olympics be if, hypothetical/unrealistically, only Team Canada were allowed to bring Canadian players... And the NHL still went ahead and took an Olympic break. Over/under on GF/GA differential?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Didn't they say this in 02'.....

After losing two consecutive best on best tournaments for the first time ever, Canadians were not especially optimistic going into 2002. Not sure how the rest of the world perceived Canada going into the 2002 Olympics, but I suspect it wasn't as highly as one would think in retrospect.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
Just off the top of my head the forwards could look like:

Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Toews - McDavid - Stamkos
Benn - Getzlaf - Seguin
Carter - Tavares - Scheifele

Hall/Johansen/Skinner/Giroux/Simmonds/ROR/Perry/Mackinnon/Couture/Drouin/Monahan/Duchene as the possible 13th forward...ridiculous

Pietrangelo - Doughty
Weber - Subban
Vlasic - Burns

Price
Holtby

Would they even have a close game against any other country?
Subban couldn’t crack team Canada after his Norris year. He’s not cracking it now. Weber is a righty. Wouldn’t play on left. Duncan kieth would be on team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad