How to VPN a streaming device? - AKA Help a Bewmer

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Hey guys,

So I ditched cable about 3-4 years ago and use a Roku box but I can not watch any of my local team games anymore unless they are on NBC. I think it's about time I learn how to do this mysterious vpn thing.

So from googling about this it seems that adding a vpn to a Roku is challenging but on Amazon firestick it is easy. Considering I am due for a streaming device upgrade do you guys suggest I get the new firestick 4k and add a vpn to that?

Any advice and/or how to add a vpn would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 19, 2008
I don't think you can I think it's only a phone and computer that can run VPN

I could be wrong

perhaps some of our more tech savvy nerds would be able to answer

Basically, you can use the methods listed above to connect a VPN to your TV -- and if you go with Chromecast with Google TV or Amazon Firestick then you can download the VPN directly via the Play Store or the Amazon Appstore, respectively. The only difference is that you'll use your streaming device's interface to connect to the VPN instead of directly via your TV interface. You'll still get all the privacy and unblocking benefits that a VPN offers if you decide to take this route, but only for content you watch through your streaming device.

Reactions: Oak

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I don't think you can I think it's only a phone and computer that can run VPN

I could be wrong

perhaps some of our more tech savvy nerds would be able to answer

Basically, you can use the methods listed above to connect a VPN to your TV -- and if you go with Chromecast with Google TV or Amazon Firestick then you can download the VPN directly via the Play Store or the Amazon Appstore, respectively. The only difference is that you'll use your streaming device's interface to connect to the VPN instead of directly via your TV interface. You'll still get all the privacy and unblocking benefits that a VPN offers if you decide to take this route, but only for content you watch through your streaming device.
You can setup a VPN on your router, but for a newbie, I wouldn't suggest it.

What I would suggest is, assuming you have a computer, is pay for a VPN subscription. Put that on your computer, then go to what you want to watch in Chrome, and broadcast it to your Roku.

Here's instructions from Roku: Bildschirmspiegelung eines Android™ - oder Windows® -Telefons auf dein Roku®-Streaming-Gerät|Bildschirmspiegelung eines Android- oder Windows-Geräts

I haven't had much luck with a VPN on my mobile devices because most places now turn on GPS, which has been overwriting the VPN location. YMMV.

If you're specifically looking at a FireStick: Best VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick in 2024

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad