Beginners: How to practice without Ice?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They see novices as getting in their way. And yes I think they want them to leave. It’s mainly young players, older ones have your attitude. I also enjoy helping novices, giving them skating tips, or doing simple drills with them. I used to get a lot of verbal abuse (put downs and insults) from a small number of people. Don’t get me wrong, most people are decent, many are really nice.

I suppose your inexperience was hurting their chances with all the scouts in the stands drooling over them.

Must be the reason...

Last edited:
Reactions: LeifUK

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
They see novices as getting in their way. And yes I think they want them to leave. It’s mainly young players, older ones have your attitude. I also enjoy helping novices, giving them skating tips, or doing simple drills with them. I used to get a lot of verbal abuse (put downs and insults) from a small number of people. Don’t get me wrong, most people are decent, many are really nice.
Man, I'm glad I decided to start playing where I did. The group I played with is/was so welcoming to beginners. In more pickup games than I can remember they (we) just funnel the puck towards the "new guys". I think because of where we are and how few players we can manage to gather that we are always looking for ways to make people want to come back. The whole group was really good about managing the atmosphere. If there was some "puck hog" type out there, we literally just wouldn't play with him. When he got the puck, the defenders would let him by and the goalie would vacate the net. sure he got to score but he got laughed at for it. That type of collective behavior control was very effective. Sorry to hear about your experiences, glad to see you didn't let it get to you and kept playing.

Reactions: LeifUK

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Man, I'm glad I decided to start playing where I did. The group I played with is/was so welcoming to beginners. In more pickup games than I can remember they (we) just funnel the puck towards the "new guys". I think because of where we are and how few players we can manage to gather that we are always looking for ways to make people want to come back. The whole group was really good about managing the atmosphere. If there was some "puck hog" type out there, we literally just wouldn't play with him. When he got the puck, the defenders would let him by and the goalie would vacate the net. sure he got to score but he got laughed at for it. That type of collective behavior control was very effective. Sorry to hear about your experiences, glad to see you didn't let it get to you and kept playing.

I’ve found the best way to deal with a puck hog on your team during a pick up game is to just take a knee when he gets the puck.

It has worked every time except with this one guy during a pond game... dude was totally oblivious to me or anyone else on our team... never saw anyone like him before or since thankfully.

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Quality over Quantity... at least at first... Invest in a couple of good power skating programs... Ask around, and find someone who knows their stuff...

If you want to supplement off-ice.. Marsblades at the closest to actual skating... and practice the fundamentals from the power skating lessons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad