Advice: How to delicately ask a person to leave the team?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I've had to do this before with a goalie who similarly thought he was waaay better than he actuality was. He would give up bad angle goals and blame the defenceman and he ducked out of the way of a shot one time prompting someone to actually launch a water bottle at him from the bench. That was 3 years ago and he still hates me even though no other team will take him either (he still plays in the B league). I don't think there's any way this guy will take this well. The only way anyone isn't going to be pissed is if they actually realize they are holding the team back. I really don't blame him. I've been cut from teams I thought I should have made before and it basically feels like getting dumped by your girlfriend.
Or getting dumped by over a dozen girlfriends. lol

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Or getting dumped by over a dozen girlfriends. lol

Now the I'm reading this thread, especially the wording of the question. I realize the situations are identical in terms of the emotions you are going to feel so just whatever you do when you dump a girl. Maybe think about letting him keep your dog if you want to be a gentleman but it's still going to be uncomfortable running into him no matter what.

Last edited:

davethehammer

Jun 17, 2014
Lol how do you handle anything? With the truth.. You didn't pay, you'e pretty annoying..if you want to come back, pay and stop annoying people with how good you think you are. It's a dumb ass rec league. He needs a big hint

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
I was fortunate to have the a hole on my team “retire” after we lost our championship game. Hopefully he follows through. I found it difficult to reason with him or get him to not be such a jerk. He had about 50 year of practice being one.

He was guilty of everything he always accused everyone else of plus he was likes to fight guy. I quickly identified this as his life long modus operandi and any thought of getting him to change his behavior was dismissed.

It never got bad enough I considered not asking him back. The league never contacted me about his behavior. He paid. He showed up to late games. Just not a fox hole kind of guy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad