How to curve wooden stick blades

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
I don't think you can curve wood sticks.

If you can't get a composite, get a rubber stick and bend it with your foot.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Skittles said:

Thought it was the other way around. I heard composite ones were a bugger to bend.

I curved my wooden blade a little after I got it from eBay and wound up to be too flat. I used my stove, heated it nice a even, and bent it. But waiting for it to cool down sucked...I heard that contraption above works well. But the key is to not overheat which does cause the blade to snap.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Skittles said:

The heck are you talking about?

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Skittles said:

We used to put them over the stove or in the oven long enough to get them hot, then put them under a door or in a vice and gently bend them until they looked right. But it really does weaken the blade, so I'd advise against it unless you really can't find a blade in a pattern you like.

You CAN bend composites, but it REALLY ruins the blade, so unless you are an NHL player getting them for free, I wouldn't bother. Just go back to the real deal: WOOD.

HVPOLARBEARS19

Nov 17, 2005
NY
Leave it in a bucket of water for a few days and the blade will warp ;)
Apparently that is the story how the stick originally got the curve, and I THINK it was Boom Boom Geffrion who actually first experimented with this and his wicked slapshot, though I could definately be wrong.

PensFanInCBus

Jan 14, 2004
Heating the blade over an electric stove burner works like a charm. I have bent a ton of blades this way and haven't broken any of them or had them break as a direct result.

Put nice even heat on both sides of the blade.

Put the blade on the floor and step on the toe, then gently
bend it to the desired curve. Don't go crazy trying to bend it
or you'll snap it.

Let the blade cool and check your work. If it needs a bit more,
rinse and repeat. it's much easier to bend it slowly in a few
small sessions than to try to get the bend in one shot.

Good luck and happy bending!

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
HVPOLARBEARS19 said:
Leave it in a bucket of water for a few days and the blade will warp ;)
Apparently that is the story how the stick originally got the curve, and I THINK it was Boom Boom Geffrion who actually first experimented with this and his wicked slapshot, though I could definately be wrong.

Stan Mikitia was the first to use a curved blade. I was watching the Legends of Hockey and Bobby Hull was telling the story. Appreantly Stan had this stick that he hated so he was leaning on it, only problem was he wasn't big enough weight wise to snap it. He then stuck the blade onder the bench door and pulled up on it giving the blade a nasty curve. He went out on the ice and started flipping pucks into the net. The whole time Hull thought Stan had gone off the deep end.

So according to Bobby Hull that how the whole curved blade started.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
Procurve.ca no longer exists. Does anyone know where I can buy this product either online or in Vancouver? Does this product work well? I'm wanting to alter a coffey curve on a wooden sherwood stick.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
We used to put them over the stove or in the oven long enough to get them hot, then put them under a door or in a vice and gently bend them until they looked right. But it really does weaken the blade, so I'd advise against it unless you really can't find a blade in a pattern you like.

You CAN bend composites, but it REALLY ruins the blade, so unless you are an NHL player getting them for free, I wouldn't bother. Just go back to the real deal: WOOD.

i do the same but never had any breakage problems from heating

Analyzer*

i do the same but never had any breakage problems from heating

Have you ever heated the blade, then like taped it to hold the curve you wanted ? I know some people who do and it keeps the blade fine.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
I curved my sherwood Coffey by holding the blade over my electric stove until I felt it was hot enough, then i stepped on it and curved it by holding it in position with my foot.

It came out damn near exact to the reebok datsyuk (which is what I usually use). Pretty much a coincidence but awesome for me. I'm using it for the first time tomorrow night so hopefully it holds up well.

PDX Coyotes

Jul 14, 2009
Portland, Oregon
Stan Mikitia was the first to use a curved blade. I was watching the Legends of Hockey and Bobby Hull was telling the story. Appreantly Stan had this stick that he hated so he was leaning on it, only problem was he wasn't big enough weight wise to snap it. He then stuck the blade onder the bench door and pulled up on it giving the blade a nasty curve. He went out on the ice and started flipping pucks into the net. The whole time Hull thought Stan had gone off the deep end.

So according to Bobby Hull that how the whole curved blade started.
I had heard that the old timers would get 'em wet and put them on a toilet bowl with a weight in the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad