How to create a new Pro hockey league

Sam Slick*

I think the current Canadian NHL teams should separate from the current NHL and create a new Canadian Pro Hockey League. (CPHL).

We already have Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnepeg, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. Put new teams in Quebec, Hamilton, a second team in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto. Put teams in Kitchener, and London. Put two teams in the Maritimes in St John and Halifax and we have 16 teams. For franchises that struggle at first, we have league revenue sharing like we currently do, but likely will not have to.

Even if we start out with our current 7 teams and go from there. Its a start.

Currently, Canada supplies the entire NHL with 68 percent of its product. We could keep the teams here similar to the KHL that is now thriving. We can impose a cap. Owners can make a ton more money because we would not have to pay for the crap NHL teams in the south to stay afloat.
Good luck to the Rangers and Bruins to support 17 other teams that do not have a fan base or crappy ownership.

The revenue remains in Canada which is huge for our economy. Billions to us instead of the USA. The revenue from any Winter Classic remains in Canada as opposed to where it goes now which is southside.

Players can play under new ownership "take it or leave it" policy. (which would still pay the greedy babies millions)

Thoughts?

Sam Slick*

Hockey would become the least watched sport globally.

So you think those failing teams that can't draw fans changes that? If there is a world wide sell, it's because of IIHF and the Canadian NHL teams. Now Russia has their own thriving hockey league and Canada does not. HOw wrong is that?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
So you think those failing teams that can't draw fans changes that? If there is a world wide sell, it's because of IIHF and the Canadian NHL teams. Now Russia has their own thriving hockey league and Canada does not. HOw wrong is that?

Not? Canada supplies the NHL with the largest percentage of its product because the largest percentage of the market is in the States. The potential profit of a North American league will always be greater than a strictly Canadian league. Always. Secession to form a Canadian league is a fun idea but an awful long term business plan.

For bonus points, it's also a massive middle finger to American hockey fans, of which there are millions, and storied franchises such as Boston, Chicago, Detroit, New York, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh. Personally I wouldn't even want to play in a league without teams like Chicago and the Red Wings.

There's a history here that you don't abandon for something as flimsy as some ideal of Canadian superiority, no matter how much you hate the sunbelt teams.

Sam Slick*

Not? Canada supplies the NHL with the largest percentage of its product because the largest percentage of the market is in the States. The potential profit of a North American league will always be greater than a strictly Canadian league. Always. Secession to form a Canadian league is a fun idea but an awful long term business plan.

For bonus points, it's also a massive middle finger to American hockey fans, of which there are millions, and storied franchises such as Boston, Chicago, Detroit, New York, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh. Personally I wouldn't even want to play in a league without teams like Chicago and the Red Wings.

There's a history here that you don't abandon for something as flimsy as some ideal of Canadian superiority, no matter how much you hate the sunbelt teams.

No. They are not more profitible is Canadian teams have to subsidize them. Teams are failing in the states because they are NOT profitible. Where you been? There are 17 of the 30 teams in the red and some of those teams are not just in the red,....they are spewing red all over the place. Hockey simply does not work in Phoenix. You can have a great team there.....but there will always be half and less filled rinks. This isn't just some test we tried this year dude, They have been down there since second and third expansions for 30 and 40 years. We are raised being hockey fans because we played on the ponds, played in the streets (car!) and played in the minor systems. That is why its in our blood. Did anyone do that in Arizona? Hell No.

You talk about storied franchises with great history. We can create new storied franchises in Canada where the game belongs. I remember Quebec and Montreal rivalry's that were unbelievable. Would you rather have that or the Panthers against the lightning? Come on.

I don't hate the sunbelt teams at all. But would you like to have a business where you had to take your profits and share them with someone that does not know how to run the business?

For bonus points, I am not giving the middle finger to American fans at all either. I am saying "hey, run your own league without Canada and see what happens".

Do you think for a second that if Canada had its own league that there would be a strike or a lockout of any kind? Not a chance. Before Betman got his hands on this league, HNIC was the longest running TV show in the world. Remember, this is about greed, which is simply the slang word for "business".

And, how are all those teams with storied history doing so far this year?

Nope, we need a Canadian league and the faster that it gets going the better. If there was another league, would you have attended any games this year, or watched them on TV? Yes you would have. Would the NHL have this lockout if there was another league? Not a chance they would give the fans away to another league. CBA's would get done in off season's in time for puck drop.

What is the off chance that the NHL never reaches an agreement? What then? What happens to the philly's, Detroits, Pens etc then? Would the States create a hockey league? Nope, but Canada would.

Just food for thought. :)

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
No. They are not more profitible is Canadian teams have to subsidize them. Teams are failing in the states because they are NOT profitible. Where you been? There are 17 of the 30 teams in the red and some of those teams are not just in the red,....they are spewing red all over the place. Hockey simply does not work in Phoenix. You can have a great team there.....but there will always be half and less filled rinks. This isn't just some test we tried this year dude, They have been down there since second and third expansions for 30 and 40 years. We are raised being hockey fans because we played on the ponds, played in the streets (car!) and played in the minor systems. That is why its in our blood. Did anyone do that in Arizona? Hell No.

Potential, my friend. I said the potential for profit will always be several magnitudes bigger in a North American league because the population base is massive. The trick is reaching that potential, which is what expansion was all about. Now, I can't talk about Arizona but I can sure as hell talk about Georgia. I grew up with the Thrashers in the suburbs north of Atlanta. Played youth hockey from when I was 5 until my last year of high school. It went from being two teams and two rinks to 7 teams (in my age group) and three rinks in the span of about 7 or 8 years. Taught my neighbors how to play and we'd have inter-neighbourhood games almost weekly. Even tried making an outdoor rink one year (lmao.)

I'm getting a little rambley here lol, but the point is that hockey's just exploded down here compared to where it was before the Thrashers. We've had a few local guys even suit up for OHL teams. So we might not be Minnesota or Boston or even without shouting distance of Ohio or California, but the game's here, and it's only getting stronger.

Sam Slick*

Potential, my friend. I said the potential for profit will always be several magnitudes bigger in a North American league because the population base is massive. The trick is reaching that potential, which is what expansion was all about. Now, I can't talk about Arizona but I can sure as hell talk about Georgia. I grew up with the Thrashers in the suburbs north of Atlanta. Played youth hockey from when I was 5 until my last year of high school. It went from being two teams and two rinks to 7 teams (in my age group) and three rinks in the span of about 7 or 8 years. Taught my neighbors how to play and we'd have inter-neighbourhood games almost weekly. Even tried making an outdoor rink one year (lmao.)

I'm getting a little rambley here lol, but the point is that hockey's just exploded down here compared to where it was before the Thrashers. We've had a few local guys even suit up for OHL teams. So we might not be Minnesota or Boston or even without shouting distance of Ohio or California, but the game's here, and it's only getting stronger.

Thats all well and fine. But my main point is about the NHL mistreating fans every 4 or 5 years with a lockout. With another Canadian league, this simply would not happen. :)

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Thats all well and fine. But my main point is about the NHL mistreating fans every 4 or 5 years with a lockout. With another Canadian league, this simply would not happen. :)

How do you know this?

Your idea is full of holes....this is just plain silly.

Edit: I still don't get one thing: what is the point? I keep reading and still don't see the glaring reason why any NHL team in Canada would downgrade to a lesser league...

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The NHL should consist of 24 teams:

Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec City
Kitchener
New Brunswick

Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Colorado
Minnesota

New York R.
New York I.
Boston
Buffalo
New Jersey
Washington

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
St. Louis
Detroit
Chicago
Columbus

Leafs For Life*

WTF why is Columbus in there. And I think one of the Maritime provinces deserve a NHL team.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
WTF why is Columbus in there. And I think one of the Maritime provinces deserve a NHL team.

I think Ohio has a good hockey fan base, they just need a winning BJ's team to latch onto. If they ever develop a good team there I think it will be a successful market.

I think New Brunswick could have a successful franchise. Not including eastern Quebec and NFLD, the area has approx. 2 million people. Hockey is huge out there, so I have little doubt a team could make it.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
Toronto makes a ton of money for the NHL but many american markets greatly contribute. A few bad teams do not justify dropping all the profitable teams.

Not to mention, how do you recommend we legally keep the 68% of NHL Canadian players in Canada? It will turn into the NFL vs CFL. The USA may have more struggling teams, but they have a population ten times ours and offer significantly more income potential. Players will flock to where the money and skill is... And it wont be your league. We as fans have to.face the fact that the NHL is a business, not a charity league. Owners are not going to drop.ticket prices if.the market will sustain.current prices, players wont accept massive paycuts when they can "get a new job" in a different league that pays significantly more

Sam Slick*

How do you know this?

Your idea is full of holes....this is just plain silly.

Edit: I still don't get one thing: what is the point? I keep reading and still don't see the glaring reason why any NHL team in Canada would downgrade to a lesser league...

Ok, this is where people are not thinking in the "NOW". Currently, there is no league. There is no hockey. If for whatever reason, that this lockout is the end of the NHL, then you will see a Canadian league pop up. We are the world leaders in this market......but no pro team.

And, if that were the case, it would not be a "Lesser" league, it would be "The" league.

Sam Slick*

Toronto makes a ton of money for the NHL but many american markets greatly contribute. A few bad teams do not justify dropping all the profitable teams.

Not to mention, how do you recommend we legally keep the 68% of NHL Canadian players in Canada? It will turn into the NFL vs CFL. The USA may have more struggling teams, but they have a population ten times ours and offer significantly more income potential. Players will flock to where the money and skill is... And it wont be your league. We as fans have to.face the fact that the NHL is a business, not a charity league. Owners are not going to drop.ticket prices if.the market will sustain.current prices, players wont accept massive paycuts when they can "get a new job" in a different league that pays significantly more

If there is NO league, what then do the players flock to exactly? If that happened, and there is a percentage of people that think it is possible (I'm actually not one of them), then the new formed Canadian league would be "The" league to play in, including the hoisting of the Stanley cup because it does not belong to Americans.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Ok, this is where people are not thinking in the "NOW". Currently, there is no league. There is no hockey. If for whatever reason, that this lockout is the end of the NHL, then you will see a Canadian league pop up. We are the world leaders in this market......but no pro team.

And, if that were the case, it would not be a "Lesser" league, it would be "The" league.

This just doesn't make sense....

How would this league form? Why is it better than the NHL from the point of view of both the players and team owners?

G51 K81*

You are completely overlooking the oversaturation of teams in the market. You are essentially taking 2 or 3 prime hockey markets, splitting them up and saying, compete with each other for fans. Obviously this would greatly benefit the fans as ticket prices would drop instantly but ticket revenues will fall hard.

It's a terrible idea imo.

Sam Slick*

This just doesn't make sense....

How would this league form? Why is it better than the NHL from the point of view of both the players and team owners?

What NHL.....you mean the one that sees fit to turn its back on the fans over greed?

Sorry, I would support a new league in a heartbeat and forget I every was an NHL fan.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
What NHL.....you mean the one that sees fit to turn its back on the fans over greed?

Sorry, I would support a new league in a heartbeat and forget I every was an NHL fan.

It doesn't matter how you feel!

A new league doesn't solve any problems. The very first step in creating a new league is establishing a CBA. Why would anyone think it would go any differently?

Sam Slick*

You are completely overlooking the oversaturation of teams in the market. You are essentially taking 2 or 3 prime hockey markets, splitting them up and saying, compete with each other for fans. Obviously this would greatly benefit the fans as ticket prices would drop instantly but ticket revenues will fall hard.

It's a terrible idea imo.

How in heck would revenues fall hard? Its the current revenues that not only support the current Canadian hockey market but also supports the current non hockey markets where hockey has no business being in. We supply the talent, and we supply the money that goes to keep hockey alive in the deep south where the tv show "swamp people" have a higher rating. Maybe we can bring in a few american teams into our new league but they will have to follow our rules and the Head hockey office remains in Canada.

Does anyone know exactly how the NHL head offices are currently in New York. The NHL was formed in Canada. When exactly did it go state side?

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

Also, I ask again...

From the point of view of both player and owner, why should we have a new league?

Sam Slick*

It doesn't matter how you feel!

A new league doesn't solve any problems. The very first step in creating a new league is establishing a CBA. Why would anyone think it would go any differently?

Um, yes it does. It gives fans an opportunity to watch hockey....which it currently does not have.

Sam Slick*

I know that I am new here but why do I get the sense that you are arguing for the sake of arguing?

So are you saying if the NHL decided to lock out this season and next, you would not support a new league that formed?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The problem that the Canadian League would have is you are trying to attract a market that consists of 35 million people (roughly), when you could be trying for an additional 300 million from the U.S. Yea, its only a percentage of it, but you have to try.

I'm not opposed to moving franchises. I think that a franchise would look perfect in Cincinnati. Try and grow a franchise there with a great location (close to Philly, Pittsburgh, Columbus and Detroit).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad