How to be a great passer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
It would be good if you could be more specific with the problems you are having now. One quick tip is that you want to avoid telegraphing your passes, so be quick and use your peripheral vision.

JMR27

Jan 3, 2006
Instincts are there , I guess what I mean is flipping the puck over sticks "saucer " passes.

thanks

shorre

Jan 4, 2006
oakville , ontario
practice , practice and more practice.when u r on the ice try the saucer over a line or to a player.when at home put a stick on the ground and pass over it.remember the puck kinda rolls off the blade from heel to toe.when im in warm up before a game i always saucer a pass on my backhand to a teammate since i feel thats the hardest.

shorre

Jan 4, 2006
oakville , ontario
and yes a straighter blade does help . i find the larger the curve (for me that is) the less control i have .everyone is comfortable with different curves so find whats best for u.

JMR27

Jan 3, 2006
U r right about the the straight blade I feel that it is more flush with the ice and puck.

Game 2 morrow night , thanks

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Also a thing some peple forget is to pass INFRONT of the player (in his stride) and not where he is. A good pass in the stride of a player can be a great way to set up an attack.

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Pass it to where your target is going to be, not where his is.

Yeah, like another poster said, don't admire you're passes. A mistake many Rec-league players make.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Learn to play every position even if you don't actually ever play them. If you know where a guy is supposed to be you don't have to waste time finding him. When you're on the bench watch where other people are at during certain situations. That doesn't mean you can make blind passes afterward but at least your target should be in the first place you look. There isn't usually time to look around for very long.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
Steelhead16 said:
Learn to play every position even if you don't actually ever play them. If you know where a guy is supposed to be you don't have to waste time finding him. When you're on the bench watch where other people are at during certain situations. That doesn't mean you can make blind passes afterward but at least your target should be in the first place you look. There isn't usually time to look around for very long.

So stupid, but so true, I take time to evaluate a player when i'm on the ice with him. Never EVER really purposely study the game when i'm on the bench. I solely rely on instinct (spelling), always worked fine, but now I guess I'll ''know'' dude is at whatever place instead of just ''knowing'' (did that make sens)

nikebauer

Jul 21, 2005
Vancouver
jacklours said:
So stupid, but so true, I take time to evaluate a player when i'm on the ice with him. Never EVER really purposely study the game when i'm on the bench. I solely rely on instinct (spelling), always worked fine, but now I guess I'll ''know'' dude is at whatever place instead of just ''knowing'' (did that make sens)

No, and it didn't make for good spelling either

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not that I consider myself a great passer by any means but I've always felt my passing game was my biggest asset.. I'd say three rules I always stick to are pretty basic ones-

Pass to an area where the player can skate into the puck. It's not really about threading the needle but more about distributing to open teammates.

Keep your head up and on a swivel, even if it may mean taking your tempo down a notch or two.

Try to control the velocity to your passes depending on the situation. There are times when you have to really fire it to an open teammate and there are also times when you need to back off and just move the puck into open space.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
12# Peter Bondra said:
Also a thing some peple forget is to pass INFRONT of the player (in his stride) and not where he is. A good pass in the stride of a player can be a great way to set up an attack.

So true, yet a lot of people have a hard time learning this.

You can practice all you want at passing and technique, but some people just have better hockey sense and on ice vision plus they are able to read the plays better than others, allowing passing to come to them much easier.

The best thing you can do is watch as much hockey as you can and work on your accuracy for when the moments do strike.

TheLokNesMonster

Sep 11, 2005
St. Paul, Minnesota
My passes, particularly the longer break out passes, are much more accurate when I slap them instead of pushing them (like a wrist shot). The slap pass tends to hug the ice and arrive with more velocity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad